FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2017 9:08 PM  #1

Need help identifying a rear end. Not on a Mustang.

Trying to find out what this rear end is off of. It is on my 34 Ford. Trying to see what the drive line is. 
I have google a bunch of different rear ends, but none had the octagonal eight bolt plate that I could find. A friend suggested a Bronco II rear end.

7/22/2017 6:47 AM  #2

Re: Need help identifying a rear end. Not on a Mustang.

Its not from a Bronco II.  Bronco IIs used the 7.5" rear with a 10 bolt cover. 

It looks like a Chrysler 9-1/4" rear, but it doesn't have enough bolts (would be 12).

You've got a real oddball there.  Is not a Dana, Chrysler, Ford, or GM rear from what I can see.  Its not a Toyota; they used drop outs. 

My gut, based on its design, is that its from something old, like 1960 or earlier.  If you search rear ends you're just going to get newer, common stuff.  Any info on that tag?  Numbers stamped into the tubes?  How are the axles retained?  What brakes are on it? 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (7/22/2017 3:48 PM)

7/22/2017 7:02 AM  #3

Check out this rear end: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1-2-1965-1966-Ford-Mustang-6-cyl-7-1-4-Rear-End-Housing-Only-Used-/122595463393?hash=item1c8b4250e1

Check Early Mustang 6 cyl 7 1/4".

Last edited by Rufus68 (7/22/2017 7:06 AM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

7/22/2017 7:12 AM  #4

The Mustang rear end seems to have more gussets in the body.  So I did a search for it's Father, specifically a 1961 Falcon 6 cyl rear end and the body matched.  So I say you have an early Falcon rear end there.

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/15/!BZvCqog!mk~$(KGrHgoOKi8EjlLmZdNYBKoFrhRI)Q~~_1.JPG[/img]

Last edited by Rufus68 (7/22/2017 7:13 AM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

7/22/2017 9:55 AM  #5

Rufus just beat me to it.  I was researching the same thing.  I think that axle originally came out of a 1960 to 1962 Ford Falcon.   You have the tag.  I bet it checks out.   

http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/Rear_Axles/RearAxles01.html

Last edited by Greg B (7/22/2017 9:58 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

7/22/2017 8:39 PM  #6

Thank you. I got it off the trailer today and stuffed into the shop. So I need to get it up on blocks to crawl under and have a look at the metal tag with a light. Crazy day helping my neighbor today after he helped me get it off the trailer. 

7/22/2017 8:40 PM  #7

7/22/2017 8:41 PM  #8

I am going to measure the axle width and compare it to a Mustang 8 inch I have sitting around. May get to make this into a partial Mustang yet.

7/22/2017 8:49 PM  #9

BTW the man I took over from building this hot rod was going to put a Chevy 350 in front of it. If this is a rear end designed for a 6 cylinder car I can see this rear end coming apart pretty quickly once some muscle got in front of it. 

7/22/2017 9:09 PM  #10

Yeah!!!!!!!..........that 34 is just SCCCREAMING for a bad-a$$ "something" engine. SOHC.....Hemi....Stroker 460...something like that!!  Something that "fights-for-attention" with the cool lines of the34.
Glad its your money and and not mine butt.............its gonna be cool fer sure-fer sure!!!!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/23/2017 12:54 PM  #11

6sally6 wrote:

Yeah!!!!!!!..........that 34 is just SCCCREAMING for a bad-a$$ "something" engine. SOHC.....Hemi....Stroker 460...something like that!!  Something that "fights-for-attention" with the cool lines of the34.
Glad its your money and and not mine butt.............its gonna be cool fer sure-fer sure!!!!!!
6sal6

The proper engine for a 34 Ford sedan is an Allison, 1760 cubic inches of earth shaking power. You could call it Big Al. Of course the driver ends up sitting against the rear window. Probably need a stronger rear end for that.

7/23/2017 1:42 PM  #12

Hornman wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

The proper engine for a 34 Ford sedan is an Allison, 1760 cubic inches of earth shaking power. You could call it Big Al. Of course the driver ends up sitting against the rear window. Probably need a stronger rear end for that.

I've seen the pictures of Art Arfons  Allison powered"funny car". 34 Ford see-dan. Waaaaayyyyy over the top!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/23/2017 2:09 PM  #13

JUST a little bit of engine setback!

Jim Lytle built this beauty.

Last edited by Hornman (7/23/2017 2:10 PM)

7/23/2017 4:11 PM  #14

My guess is the rear end is meaningless.  The tires will light long before you'll shock load the rear enough to break it.  It takes traction to break parts.  Now, if you hammer it into 3rd you might break it. 

Minor point of correction, the Allison was a 1710 cubic inch engine.  It was a 48 valve, overhead cam, narrow V-12 used in the Curtis P40 Warhawk, P-38 Lightning, and North American P51A Mustang (later variants used a Packard built V1650-7, which was a licensed version of Rolls Royce's Merlin engine).  The V1710 often gets overlooked because of the stellar performance of the P51D Mustang, and its oft applied label of best fighter aircraft of all time.  The widely held belief is that it was the change from the Allison to the Packard/Merlin that resulted in the P51 finally being a great aircraft is really only partially true.  The Allison only had a single stage supercharger and ran out of breathing ability at altitudes above 15,000', but the US Army Air Cops never asked Allison to improve this aspect of the engine, instead they simple decided to replace it with a known quantity in the Merlin.  The Allison used in the P-38 was turbocharged in addition to the single stage blower, and had no issues with breathing at altitude.  Additionally, Allison built prototypes with two stage superchargers that also had no issue breathing at altitude.  So it wasn't really a case of the engine lacking, so much as they were never asked to improve it.

In other forms of racing after the war it had some success.  As a drag engine it wasn't stellar because it simply took too long to wind up.  In unlimited hydroplane racing it enjoyed much success, often topping 3,000HP with the use of nitrous.

In the late '90s my uncle got the bright idea to put one in a replica twin cockpit Cris Craft speedboat.  It never came to fruition, but he did end up with the engine partially adapted to the task.  It sat in our shop for a year or so before the business closed down (it had nothing to do with things like spending money to put a V1710 in a wooden speed boat (I can't find the rolling eyes emoji)). 

7/23/2017 4:38 PM  #15

As TKO says, unless you're getting heaps of traction, it won't make any difference.
I once put a 440 in place of a slant six, left the original diff in the car.
I think the diff worked harder with a six in it.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

7/24/2017 9:34 AM  #16

Used to love it when EJ Potter would show up at the Calhoun County Fair with his Ugly 1 and Ugly 2 pulling tractors built around Allison aircraft engines. What a show! He used tank retriever drive trains and always was a crowd pleaser! Always a huge wheely all the way down the strip and looked like the whole engine glowed bright orange.

Last edited by DC (7/24/2017 9:36 AM)

7/24/2017 10:11 PM  #17

THIS.............is the EJ Potter  I saw once in the mid 60's!!!
ABSOLUTELY..brain damaged!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUu9P3CKSMI
6sal6

7/25/2017 7:22 AM  #18

Yea, Sal, same guy. I saw him run the bike too.

7/25/2017 2:49 PM  #19

One of only two V8 motorcycles in the world?  Sorry Mr. Announcer Man, but I think not.  I'll give you that this was probably long before you could buy a turnkey Boss Hoss, of which there have been at the very least hundreds made.  But Glenn Curtis had a V8 powered motorcycle in 1906 built using one of his aircraft engines with two carbs, and making 40HP.  He set a land speed record of 136MPH that made him the fastest person on the planet (air, land, or sea) until 1911, and the fastest motorcyclist until 1930.  If you're ever up by the Finger Lakes in NY state check out his museum.  Very interesting inventor and entrepreneur.  He built engines and aircraft.  He essentially sold out of his own company in 1920, pocketing $32 million, and retired to FL, though he remained a technical advisor for the rest of his life.  He died in 1930. 

History lesson aside, I can't believe that by the time this clip was filmed there had only been two guys who had put V8s in motorcycles.  Though I do wonder where they stowed their enormous brass balls when they were riding these things...

7/25/2017 6:03 PM  #20

I saw him run in Dallas in the late 60's.  What Hot Rod mag said about him being crazy doesnt even cover half of it.  His V8 motorcycle was wild.  He rode without a suit, jeans and a tee shirt!  He went all over the track too.
Certifiable?  Probably.  Genius?  Most likely.

7/26/2017 6:59 AM  #21

I talked to him one year at the fair and he was a hard guy to keep up with his conversation. His sentences just kind of ran together as his mouth was trying to keep up with his brain!

7/26/2017 8:30 PM  #22

Think I read in Pop Mechanics about how he would use an automobile tire for the rear. After a couple-a three runs(or so) he would take the tire back and get a replacement(under warrantee, of course) The tire dealer caught on pretty quick and stopped honoring the warrantee. Wonder why?!!
When I saw him run.......... he fired it up while on the bike stand. Then when he got the "go-ahead" he rocked it back and forth a few times (with the throttle pinned OPEN) until it sorta fell off the stand. Eventually.....he came screaming outta the tire smoke! 
Beyond cool for a 14/15 year old kid like me!!!!
6s6

7/31/2017 9:29 PM  #23

Mystery of the Rear End ID is solved. I got the tag off of the rear end and was able to flatten it enough and run a light wire brush across it to get the letters and numbers exposed. From there Mr. Google led me to http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford09.htm
WGF K 4GA 3 40 6 7 220A
WGF-K shows up as a 
WGF-K Bobcat, Pinto 74-78 3.18  6.75  NL  23 
I would put the picture on this, but this feature doesn't seem to work right now.

Last edited by Mochaman (7/31/2017 9:36 PM)

7/31/2017 9:58 PM  #24

Now that we know it is a Pinto rear end, that reduces the engine choices to the 2.3L normally aspirated 4 cylinder. It will fit under that 34 hood with no clearancing required.

7/31/2017 10:05 PM  #25

I don't think 6Sally6 is going to like that choice.

​The engine is now identified as a Cheby 400 block with 4 bolt main caps and a high nickel content. A Cheby guy came over and drooled on it. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.