FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2017 8:31 AM  #1

Welder Issue

My son has been welding away on the 68 Mustang and has had some problems with the Welder yesterday.  Its a newer Lincoln Welder.  What seems to be happening is when he's welding the wire feed stops.  He'll pull the switch and it welds a few seconds and the wire stops.  It doesn't want to keep coming out.   So when he's not welding and he hits the switch it flows out freely and stops when he let goes of switch.  We've tried different operating temps and different settings for the flow of the wire and didn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks for the help
Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (8/20/2017 8:36 AM)

8/20/2017 9:52 AM  #2

Re: Welder Issue

Is is a 120V or 240V?  I have a 120V Miller and it starts acting up if I use an extension cord.  It works fine with no load but gets out of whack when trying to weld.  If your's is a 120 volt try it with just the standard cord right at an outlet and see if it still acts up.  I made a 10 foot long 10 gauge extension cord for mine and it cured the strange behavior.  Otherwise it sounds like it could be a fault.

What size wire and what type wire are you using?

8/20/2017 10:19 AM  #3

I have had that issue a few times and it usually is that the spool of wire has developed a fine layer of oxidation that affects how it feeds. I found that the Lincoln wire is better for the conditions I have in my shop. I have seen what GPatrick said as well. You can get a small treated felt clip on device that just slips over the wire before it goes into the feed mechanism at welding shops that is supposed to help.

8/20/2017 1:54 PM  #4

Its 110 volt.  We connected it directly to the wall outlet and still the same.  Seem to come out of the end fine.  But once you weld it starts and stops by its self.

8/20/2017 2:58 PM  #5

Have you verified with the owners manual that you are using the right wire feed groove for the wire you are using?

8/20/2017 3:11 PM  #6

You should have someone watch the feed rolls to see if they are still turning when the problem occurs. If they are still turning but wire is not feeding they may not be set right. My 115 volt Lincoln had an adjustment on the tension for the drive rolls and you should make sure it is set per the manual. Mine has a wing nut that compresses a spring to get the right squeeze.Since I adjusted per the manual and run the good Lincoln wire, I have not had an issue. Also the wire can stick in the tip of the torch, if your contact tip is too old. 

8/20/2017 4:00 PM  #7

Check everything DC has mentioned. I don't use mine for months at a time, if I don't strip of the first few layers of wire, I have the same problem.
Don't just run the wire through the gun .... I feel that the rust collects in the liner if you do.
Be careful stripping of the wire .... its easy to make a wire birds nest.

Last edited by 50vert (8/20/2017 4:12 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

8/20/2017 7:12 PM  #8

DC wrote:

You should have someone watch the feed rolls to see if they are still turning when the problem occurs. If they are still turning but wire is not feeding they may not be set right. My 115 volt Lincoln had an adjustment on the tension for the drive rolls and you should make sure it is set per the manual. Mine has a wing nut that compresses a spring to get the right squeeze.Since I adjusted per the manual and run the good Lincoln wire, I have not had an issue. Also the wire can stick in the tip of the torch, if your contact tip is too old. 

Exactly what I was thinking.  I've had this issue as well, and this showed me where my issue lay.  I also found that over many years the feed guides (tubes on either side of the drive wheel) get crudded up and need to be ramrodded out with a piece of wire and blown clear. 

Also make sure your tip is clear and use anti spatter on the tip every so often.  Otherwise you can actually weld the wire to the liner and get a failure to feed and resulting birdsnest inside the machine, or a little piece of slag that will slow or otherwise impede feed. 

8/20/2017 7:45 PM  #9

Thanks for the info guys.  It is a Lincoln Spool of wire.   Its seems to come out fine when its not welding. I was watching the spool and adjusting the speed with the knob and it runs fine.  But when Its welding and your holding it down it stops. You let off and hit it again it welds a couple of seconds and stops.  I was doing a little research on the web and I found a few guys that had circuit board issues that was causing the problem.  My son had done a lot of welding before it started to act up.   Thanks for the help and info!

8/20/2017 9:51 PM  #10

If its going off on a duty cycle cutoff then that would be explained by something on the board being weak. 

8/21/2017 8:05 AM  #11

If you exceeded the duty cycle for any length of time you may have damaged the electronics.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/21/2017 9:35 AM  #12

Steve69 wrote:

Its a newer Lincoln Welder. 

Thanks for the help
Steve69

Is the welder still under warranty? You might want to check into it. Do you know the welder model and duty cycle? Even with a low duty cycle welder it's pretty hard to exceed the duty cycle welding on our cars as we trend to use plug welds or short length welds and move around, which takes time and allows the machine to cool down. Now if he's welding a non stop 6' weld on a floor seam...

I certainly wouldn't recommend WD 40 anywhere near my welding wire or weld. Anti spatter spray is meant to be used for welding and might be a better idea, but I've never done that either.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/21/2017 10:20 AM  #13

No floor pans yet.  He did weld in a front frame rail.  About 6 to 8"  welds butts.   No its about 10 years old.  My Dad hadn't used it much since he was slipping a bit because of his age. 

Last edited by Steve69 (8/21/2017 10:21 AM)

8/21/2017 11:46 AM  #14

I will just throw this out there.  When my Lincoln weld pac  mig started strange wire feed issues that couldnt be corrected by any other means, it turned out to be a kink in the cable liner.   The very center core the wire travels through to the MIG tip, it looks a lot like an old throttle cable on a lawn mower.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/21/2017 3:02 PM  #15

Greg B wrote:

I will just throw this out there.  When my Lincoln weld pac  mig started strange wire feed issues that couldnt be corrected by any other means, it turned out to be a kink in the cable liner.   The very center core the wire travels through to the MIG tip, it looks a lot like an old throttle cable on a lawn mower.   

I think you're on to it Greg.  This is worth a try.  I was in welding industry for 12 years and dealt with a lot of the small 110 Lincoln units.  If the unit is 10 years old, try the new cable liner.  Dirt, copper flaking off wire, kink will all lead to feed problems.  They are cheap and easy to put in. 

8/21/2017 3:52 PM  #16

senzstang wrote:

Greg B wrote:

I think you're on to it Greg.  This is worth a try.  I was in welding industry for 12 years and dealt with a lot of the small 110 Lincoln units.  If the unit is 10 years old, try the new cable liner.  Dirt, copper flaking off wire, kink will all lead to feed problems.  They are cheap and easy to put in. 

So since there is no dumb questions?...LOL  What's  a Cable Liner?  

8/21/2017 4:04 PM  #17

The torch head is connected to the cable.  The cable is a protective sheath made from heavy rubber.  Inside that sheath there is a liner, typically made from steel for steel and stainless wire.  The liner looks like a very tightly wound coil spring with a small inside diameter, where the wire feeds through.  If you remove the gas shield at the torch tip, and the wire feed tip you can see the end of the liner.  It typically pops out about 1/2 to 3/4" when you remove the feed tip. 

8/22/2017 7:37 AM  #18

TKOPerformance wrote:

The torch head is connected to the cable.  The cable is a protective sheath made from heavy rubber.  Inside that sheath there is a liner, typically made from steel for steel and stainless wire.  The liner looks like a very tightly wound coil spring with a small inside diameter, where the wire feeds through.  If you remove the gas shield at the torch tip, and the wire feed tip you can see the end of the liner.  It typically pops out about 1/2 to 3/4" when you remove the feed tip. 

Great!  Thanks for the info! 

8/22/2017 7:57 AM  #19

I have had problems with the nozzle tip getting slag on it.  I have to clean it every hour or so of welding.  Keep in mind that I use a flux core welder but on my friends shield gas welder, he cleans it too, just not as often.  If I dont clean the tip, the weld is spattered or it feeds without striking, or it binds in the tip.  The last time it did that, I had a mess inside the welder from the feed rollers trying to push the wire through.  The rollers need to be tight but not excessively so.

Also, I would strongly recommend against spraying WD-40 on the spool.  The oil residue contaminates the weld.  I taught welding many moons ago and one of our certification programs was high pressure gas pipeline welding.  Weld porosity was a big issue and the biggest culprit was welding on an oily surface.

8/22/2017 10:39 AM  #20

Nozzel gel will reduce the splatter build up.  I use it liberally inside the nozzel and on the tip.
 HF sells a brand that works well.

Last edited by Rudi (8/22/2017 10:40 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/22/2017 10:50 AM  #21

You say it feeds fine when not welding and stops feeding when welding.  Heat is a difference between these two conditions.  Perhaps you have a dirty tip that is pressing on the wire when it heats up.  Try it with a new tip to verify that the tip you're using isn't the issue.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/22/2017 1:50 PM  #22

Rufus68 wrote:

You say it feeds fine when not welding and stops feeding when welding.  Heat is a difference between these two conditions.  Perhaps you have a dirty tip that is pressing on the wire when it heats up.  Try it with a new tip to verify that the tip you're using isn't the issue.

That is an interesting thought. Those screw on tips come in sizes, maybe the tip on the gun is too small for the wire size. A quick look showed that Various Miller mig guns take tips from 0.023-0.081". Common non-commercial mig wire runs from 0.025-0.045. Easy to check.

8/22/2017 2:22 PM  #23

When he's welding and the wire feed stops, does he also lose power to the arc? Or does the wire burn all the way to the contact tip? If there is wire stick out visible someone is cutting the power to both the arc and the wire feed.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/22/2017 3:13 PM  #24

A friend of mine says he uses Vaseline on his welding tip.  Never heard of that before.  He said it works great.  When I went to pick up more Shielding Gas I dropped the Welder off to have someone take a look at it.  Ill let you all know what they find out.  rpm it would stop and then burn all the way to the tip.  

Thanks Steve69

8/22/2017 7:11 PM  #25

It might, never tried it.  I bought a spray can of anti spatter like ten years ago and its still mostly full.  I figure over the number of times I've used it its literally cost me nothing at this point. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.