FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2017 8:41 PM  #1

Update on 427 engine miss and death noises

I pulled the valve covers today and inspected the valvetrain. Everything looked normal, but I need to crank the engine to verify everything is still functioning. The optima battery I recently replaced was dead. Can't win...
Tomorrow, I will attempt to charge it (which has resulted in a bad battery every time it has run down) and try to get it to turn over so I can observe the rockers in action. I am assuming I will have to drain the coolant and pull the intake next.

It had a dead miss and some horrible clanging banging noises.  Hoping to get it together for the bash trip. If the engine has to come out, it will be a no-show because I sold my lift and engine hoist and have not gotten them replaced or the shop set up at the new house.  I did manage to get the air compressor wired and new A/C unit installed.  Need to modify garage door tracks before I can get the new lift installed.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/04/2017 9:01 PM  #2

Re: Update on 427 engine miss and death noises

Well crud. I'm having trouble with my stang too. I was changing a power steering hose and when letting the car down off the jack stands the car slipped off the jack and smashed the oil pan, the center link and some power steering hoses. I'll be busier than I need to be trying to get ready for the trip.

I hope you find a quick easy fix.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/04/2017 9:44 PM  #3

I'm really sorry to hear about all the trouble, Guys.  Butt (TS&T) like I keep sayin'...bring the Kia if you need to, just be there.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/05/2017 7:14 AM  #4

Knock on wood.  I think I'm ready.  I can remember in years past having to replace a headlight harness the night before leaving one year and an alternator the night before on another year.  My wife pointed out that when you only have one classic instead of two or three, you can focus on the one.  that has proven to be true since I am down to one classic.  Wishing everyone good luck during their preparations to get ready for BASH XIV.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

9/05/2017 11:02 AM  #5

Found alternator dead, replaced new one only to find alt harness shorted and burnt.  New harness and new voltage regulator now in q to be installed.  No voltage to gauges before new alt install, hope I didn't short anything under dash.    Still in work.    YEP it must be BASH time ??

9/06/2017 8:18 AM  #6

Hope you find out the problem MS.  Luckily you have a Shelby Back up!   I drove my KIA to the 2014 bash.  There's always that nice feeling that your most likely not going to get stranded along the road...LOL   

9/06/2017 9:00 AM  #7

Road Trip in a 65 Mustang is a feeling of mixed emotions.  The first few years I was on pins and needles.  Now I just enjoy the drive and appreciate the improvements I've made over the last several years.

9/06/2017 9:08 AM  #8

I usually turn light purple the first 100 miles or so.....from holding my breath!!
Then I relax and only listen close with one ear.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/06/2017 9:35 AM  #9

6sally6,

I know you like loud; so are you going to run open pipes?

9/06/2017 8:00 PM  #10

I pulled the valve covers and found the #3 intake rocker arm was not movng when rotating the engine. I pulled the rocker and pushrod. Both in perfect shape.
So, I pulled the intake manifold. Found the lifter was stuck tight in its bore in the down position. The lifter cannot be rotated or moved up or down. It is seriously stuck.  Since it is in the down position, i have to assume the cam is destroyed as well.
Since this is a $5,000 aluminum block, I think I will not try to force the issue. It has been parked for another day when I can pull the engine, disassemble it and pull the lifter out the bottom of the bore.  Maybe after I get my new lift installed, I will feel more like working on it.  Once you have a lift, you don't ever want to crawl under a car ever again.

For those who have not followed my engine build, this now has 12,000 miles on it.
Dart 351w based big bore aluminum block
AFR 205 aluminum heads
4.0" stroke forged crank
4.125" bore with 10:1 forged pistons
Comp Cams Billet roller cam and roller lifters, Comp Cams roller rockers
Lifters appeared to be same as stock 5.0 roller lifters.
427 cubic inches, 530 hp
I do not remember if the lifter bores have steel sleeves, or not.

9/06/2017 8:04 PM  #11

That is seriously bad news. Sorry to hear it.

9/06/2017 9:05 PM  #12

Yeah...serious bummer. And with roller lifters...

Last edited by Muzz 66 (9/06/2017 9:07 PM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

9/06/2017 10:25 PM  #13

almcgee wrote:

6sally6,

I know you like loud; so are you going to run open pipes?

Not until I get there..........then we'll see!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/07/2017 7:38 AM  #14

Wow I'm sorry to hear the bad news, I hope the damage was not too extensive.
 I'm curious if the engine has the OEM type sheet metal lifter retainers or the tie bar style lifters with dog bones?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/07/2017 10:35 AM  #15

That is one heck of a sinking feeling.  If you go cheap and this happens you kinda expected it.  But when you go First Class and it happens.....  A real hard pill to swallow. Sorry to hear this.

9/07/2017 10:55 AM  #16

That Sucks!   Id give the builder a call and give them a piece of your mind on it too!

Steve69

9/07/2017 11:29 AM  #17

Bad news Steve. Stuck lifter and wiped out cam. Metal in the oil pan? Did little roller break off and shower needle bearing onto the crank? (Happened to me) Cam might be fine if lifter broke apart.  Your heads can be reused.

Could be worse--I've dropped a valve that destroyed a whole new engine build. (Lesson: on a new short block, never use an old set of heads that a guy swears are good.)

Good luck. Let us know if you need a work day with friends...

Paul

9/07/2017 11:36 AM  #18

red351 wrote:

Well that not good at all...I would not be sleeping well till I could  get a good look inside...The metal particles went somewhere and what did they do? I be heading out to the beer distributor for a 6-pak. No, it's going to take more. Several cases of Keystone lite

Red,
I can tell you're a Pa. guy. There ar no "beer distributors " in Texas. Like most other states they get there beer at the grocery store like he in Va.lol

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/07/2017 2:14 PM  #19

BillyC wrote:

red351 wrote:

Well that not good at all...I would not be sleeping well till I could  get a good look inside...The metal particles went somewhere and what did they do? I be heading out to the beer distributor for a 6-pak. No, it's going to take more. Several cases of Keystone lite

Red,
I can tell you're a Pa. guy. There ar no "beer distributors " in Texas. Like most other states they get there beer at the grocery store like he in Va.lol

I just figured he was taking an 18 wheeler to the beer distributor to stock up !
We get it at the grocery store, corner convenience store, etc.

9/07/2017 3:06 PM  #20

Yeah, having lived there for 4 years PA is bout the most backward when it comes to alcohol distribution.  DE's better, but no alcohol at grocery stores, gas stations, convenience stores, etc.  Independently owned liquor stores that sell everything together (wine, beer, and liquor), unlike PA where its all sold at different stores.  They used to close at like 9 when I lived there too, but you could buy from a package store afterward, but only a case at a time.  Made college interesting, and yes, I bought ten cases once one case at a time.  Walked in and out of the store for each case.  Good times, good times...

9/07/2017 3:43 PM  #21

MS wrote:

BillyC wrote:

red351 wrote:

Red,

Moved to Va from Pittsburgh in '79. That's when I discovered beer in the grocery store. Thought old died and gone to heaven.🍺
I just figured he was taking an 18 wheeler to the beer distributor to stock up !
We get it at the grocery store, corner convenience store, etc.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/07/2017 5:08 PM  #22

red351 wrote:

​With those problems lite beer is a waste of time.  A fifth of Rye is what's needed :-)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

9/07/2017 5:41 PM  #23

May need that lifter bore bushed if it's stuck as bad as you say. Might be a 12000 mile freshen up if it's as bad as I think it is.

9/07/2017 6:20 PM  #24

I guess Dart does NOT offer any kind of warrantee ?
You already got rid of the "old faithful" 351...huh?
6sal6
PS Never mind...I know the answer!

9/07/2017 10:20 PM  #25

Sorry to hear about your engine MS.  Hope it's just a lifter and cam?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.