FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/07/2017 6:31 PM  #1

Fuel Filter?

I have an Edelbrock in-line fuel filter (the silver bullet thing) next to my CFM 600 carb (slightly warmed up 302) in my '67 Coupe. It has been running great but today when I started it up it ran rough and I had to work at it to keep it running. I think I may have some bad gas - seems to be a bit of that going around in Texas these days. I will clean the carb next week but thought maybe I should also get a new filter. How long do you chaps keep a filter before changing it? This one costs about $30 and I have had it for about 3 or 4 years although I don't drive the car much - maybe 1500 miles a year max. Thanks for any advice. 

9/07/2017 7:05 PM  #2

Re: Fuel Filter?

Typical service life on a fuel filter for a gas engine is 20-30k miles.  Unless its showing signs of being partially clogged I'd just rock on. 

9/07/2017 7:51 PM  #3

Most of the $30+ fuel filters (including Edelbrock) have replaceable elements IIRC. You can probably open it to do a visual inspection and replace if required.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock top end, Sniper EFI, MSD, JBA Headers & Exhaust, T-5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

9/07/2017 8:38 PM  #4

Good point. It has been a few years and I must have had a "senior moment". We'll be away for the weekend but I'll pull it out next week and have a look. I really think that when the gas "crisis" hit here a week or so ago I sucked some garbage up from the bottom the tank at the local Shell station. 

9/07/2017 9:47 PM  #5

It happens, Although I don't run an Edelbrock filter, I have a similar Summit filter that I mounted to make checking it very easy.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock top end, Sniper EFI, MSD, JBA Headers & Exhaust, T-5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

9/08/2017 6:40 PM  #6

I was wondering about that bad gas thing just the other day.  With all the gas stations having their tanks sucked dry, it only makes sense that some ethanol high concentrations or water levels were left at the bottom.  The last guy that fills up out of that tank gets the heavier-than-gas crap left at the bottom.

On the last trip to Colorado, I got bad gas in Tucumcari.  The car barely ran after that.  My rear main seal started leaking pretty bad.  When I put fresh oil in it, the rear main seal stopped leaking, but shortly thereafter, that lifter got stuck hard in the block.  Makes me wonder if all that choking and puking and sputtering with that bad gas fill up caused the oil to get diluted with fuel, CAUSING the rear main seal leak AND the lifter problem.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/10/2017 5:46 AM  #7

Yeah, the ethanol stratifies after sitting for a while, so the junk at the bottom is mostly ethanol and water.  Big companies around here that don't want the problems associated with ethanol let their fuel stand for a month and moved the pickup point in the tank up to about 3/4 of the way down from the top.  The ethanol stratifies out and what they end up with is basically pure gasoline.  When the tank needs to be filled they drain the junk out of the bottom of the tank until clean fuel starts coming out, then send it to the recycler. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.