FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2017 11:29 AM  #1

DIY wheel alignment for TKO and others

I'm interested in the possibility of doing my own front alignment. Is it possible to do this in my home garage, are there any special tools or equipment needed?
Would it be possible for someone to post a tutorial on the "How to" page?

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/13/2017 4:05 PM  #2

Re: DIY wheel alignment for TKO and others

Search YouTube for "String alignment method". There are several to choose from.

9/13/2017 5:21 PM  #3

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/13/2017 7:08 PM  #4

I've done it several ways.  The most accurate, and fastest method is to buy a Fastrax gauge with the toe adapter.  You're going to invest a couple hundred bucks in the setup, but a shop alignment is typically $90 around here, so 2-3 alignments pays for it.  I bought all my stuff from Amazon.  I bought the gauge, the no lip adapters, and the toe adapter.  I also got a couple of wheel plates.

I've used angle iron, blocks, and plumb bobs before to set toe, and done camber and interpolated caster with an angle finder, but I just don't have the time I once did, and I can't waste a whole Saturday or Sunday afternoon doing a job that should take an hour.  My new setup's only drawback was initial cost. 

9/14/2017 9:00 AM  #5

Yes, very doable at home. A couple years ago I installed a full Street or Track suspension on my 66. I was going to be like everyone else and send it out for alignment. Then I thought if I just did all this work, why can't I don't it myself? So I did. My first alignment I literally drove out of my garage and didn't touch anything for a year. The car drove great, went dead straight, the steering wheel was perfectly centered.

A little prep work in advance makes a big difference! Get yourself the Ford shop manual. It is very helpful in expanding adjustments to the tie rods and how the shims work, if you have a 65/66. It doesn't matter if you use a spindle mount or a wheel mount, which ever you think you'll be more comfortable with. If you have steel wheels I would suggest the spindle mount over the wheel mount system as the steel wheels don't run true. Machined aluminum do. If you have a 67 & later that uses the struts for caster, there is no reason why you could not at shims to the leading bolt for extra caster which these cars need. I would say go with at least 2°positive caster, more if you can. 3° to 4° positive works very well. I run 4° with 16:1 manual steering. Camber I would say no more then O° and try for .5° negative. I'm running 1 1/8° negative camber for tire clearance but no abnormal wear. It's a very rewarding experience. You're going to take more interest in your car then someone who has 4 more cars after yours before lunch. Keep in mind too the last Mustang with double A arm suspension was 40 years ago, long before most of these guys were born who are use to strut suspension and don't have a clue about setting up a double A.

Here's a post I did on the VFM a while back on one of my alignments

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/885066-setting-caster-camber.html

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

9/17/2017 10:44 AM  #6

I used the Deco brand caster / camber gage to set up mine.  It isn't very expensive at $120, you can get it from Speedway or another vendor.  I went straight to the hub face, and for me it was pretty easy to set up.  I have coilovers so I was able to pull them out, and set my ride height with stands and jacks.  If you had stock suspension you would need to pull the shocks / springs and set your ride height with jacks while the car was supported, then do your caster / camber.  Trying to make those adjustments if you are using eccentric eliminators is impossible / dangerous while the car is fully assembled and all the weight is on the ground.    Once you get the camber / caster correct for the ride height then you can put it all back on the ground and do the toe in with sticks or string.  

11/13/2018 3:44 PM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

I've done it several ways.  The most accurate, and fastest method is to buy a Fastrax gauge with the toe adapter.  You're going to invest a couple hundred bucks in the setup, but a shop alignment is typically $90 around here, so 2-3 alignments pays for it.  I bought all my stuff from Amazon.  I bought the gauge, the no lip adapters, and the toe adapter.  I also got a couple of wheel plates. 

Took your advice.  Ordered the fastrax system.  $180 + $40 shim kit.  Saw a youtube video where a guy shows just using a two vinyl tiles with some oil to act as turn tables.  

This should be fun.

11/13/2018 4:50 PM  #8

You can do it without turn plates, BUT, the amount of movement in degrees off center each direction has to be accurate, or your readings aren't.  The simplest way I found to do that was with turn plates.  I got a set off Amazon for like $100 that work great. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.