FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2017 4:25 PM  #1

DIY wheel alignment part II

Got started with wheel alignment today. I've never done this before so I'm kinda feeling my way along. Here is what I've run into so far.
First I noticed that my tire wear was uneven. Left front wearing on the outside, right front wearing on the inside. On a reasonably straight road to keep the car going straight I had to hold the wheel about an1/8 turn clockwise. So here's what I did.
I raised the front wheel of the floor and determined center by turning the wheel lock to lock counting the turns then turned it back 2 1/4 turns assuming that is center. I remounted the steering wheel at this setting. Then using a string from front to back I determined both wheels were turned to the right. I adjusted them straight, 0 toe, by turning the tie rod sleaves. Tightened everything down and took it for a ride. The first thing I noticed was it steered much easier, returned to center but now to keep it in a straight line I'm holding the wheel about an 1/8 turn clockwise. Thats where I stopped and started righting this post.
The only thing I've done to the car since the last alignment was replace the steering box.
I'm borrowing the necessary tools needed to do caster and camber but I can't help but think there is something else I should do before I start that process.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/18/2017 4:36 PM  #2

Re: DIY wheel alignment part II

BillyC wrote:

.......but I can't help but think there is something else I should do before I start that process.

The Arning Drop (aka Shelby Drop)?

9/18/2017 5:24 PM  #3

boomyal wrote:

BillyC wrote:

.......but I can't help but think there is something else I should do before I start that process.

The Arning Drop (aka Shelby Drop)?

Yep. Forgot to mention that.

9/18/2017 5:53 PM  #4

So...the 1/8 turn CW remained necessary after you centered the wheels to the steering box.  You say the left is wearing on the outside (positive camber) and right is wearing on the inside (negative camber).  You said Zero toe but how did you check that?  It's easy to set but, in my experience, a bit of a challenge to measure.  Butt, it can be done.

Now that you have the wheels mostly straight with the box I'd say get your caster/camber gage out, make a set of plates (I use 12"X12" 14ga steel plates with grease between 'em, two on each side but I've been told a plain old plastic bag works well too), get the car parked on a reasonably level surface and dive in.

Don't know what gage you have but I have a Longacre Racing Products magnetic and it is easy to use if the hubs protrude through the wheels.   Maw's Cragars  make it more of a challenge. 

If you have the instructions for the gage just do as it says.  If not, I would recommend setting the camber first...then caster.  You'll need to make a cardboard template that will tell you when you've turned the wheels 20 degrees or so in each direction to do caster.  Caster and camber on these cars are set with shims so you may need to have a few on hand.  With the car on the ground loosening the UCA nuts will allow the UCA to move out , away from the tower, thus un-clamping the shims.  Camber  is set with equal shims so add or remove an equal thickness of shims from the UCA studs until it gives the desired read when tightened down.

Once the camber is as close you can move a rear shim to the front to get the desired caster...then re-check and if necessary dial in the camber. 

This is a slow tedious process which is why very few shops will do it right.

Once you are happy with the caster and camber you can tweak the toe-in.  I use two pieces of 1/2" square tubing held to the outside of the tires with bungees.  I rest them on a chunk of 4x4 so they are both the same height (hopefully above the tire bulge but low enough that they can be tape-measured in front and behind.  Use the tie rod sleeves to adjust for 1/16 to 1/8" toe IN.  This probably ain't the most accurate but our heap when the first 15K miles with no adverse reactions.

Now you can see if the steering wheel is square with the world and adjust that accordingly by moving the wheel on the shaft a spline or two or adjusting the tie rod sleeves.

Recommended settings:

DAZE recommends 0 to .5 degrees NEGATIVE camber (top of the wheel tilted in).  As much POSITIVE caster as you can get (top of the spindle tilted back).  With a stock setup I was able to get right at 2.25 degrees.  Every car is different  so do what you can. 
Now that I did the Arning drop and moved the UCAs back about one turn on the shaft, a local pro (old mustang guy with an alignment shop...very rare) was able to get 5 degrees and my Borgesen box is very happy.

If you think you could use it, I will loan my alignment tool for the price of shipping both ways.  It's good as new and has easy to follow instructions.  You can PM me.

Good luck Billy.  Like most stuff on these old cars, it ain't rocket science...or even brain surgery.  But make sure you leave enough threads for a full nut on the front stud.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (9/18/2017 5:59 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/18/2017 7:35 PM  #5

Thanks for the info BB. My confidence is somewhat restored. It just so happens the gage I'm borrowing is a Longacre but thanks for the offer.

9/18/2017 8:28 PM  #6

Great..it's a good tool, Billy.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/19/2017 1:58 AM  #7

One suggestion I may make to BB's excellent explanation above regarding setting toe and using lengths of square tubing bungeed to the the tires is to use standoffs and reference the square tubing off of the edges of the rim (rather than off of the sides of the tire). I use 1" square tubing with two 1/2" thick spacers positioned and screwed down on it so that they rest on the edges of my rims. The tubing clears the tires by about an eighth of an inch, clearing raised letters and other stuff on the sidewalls that can cause your tubing to deflect.

All bets are off if you regularly 'curb' your wheels but I don't think good Mustang owners have that problem.

Another suggestion would be to mount the tubing so that it crosses the horizontal centerline of the front wheel so that your measurement isn't affected by your wheel camber.

9/19/2017 12:45 PM  #8

I've done a couple alignments on my 66. Understanding a few basics makes the job a whole lot easier. The Ford shop manual is a really big help. It explains the relationship between a shim's thickness and it's effect on either caster or camber. It also gives very clear information on how to adjust the tie rods for caster and how to center the steering wheel. The quick. To adjust toe, either in or out, you're going to turn one side towards the fire wall and the other towards the radiator. To center the wheel and not change to, you turn both sleeves either to the firewall or towards the radiator. I forget exactly which way for what but you'll find out quick enough. I just use folded up 3 mil black contractor garbage bags under the tires as my turn table. They work really well. They're those really thick plastic bags. Also checked your lower arm control bushings. They take a beating not only going up and down but also following the arc of the strut. I second the specs of .5° negative camber and as much caster as you can get. On 67 & later cars where caster is adjusted by the strut, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't use shims for more caster.

The one thing that bothers me that you need to fix. The steering shaft is going to have a witness Mark. That and only that is where the center of the steering wheel lines up with the wheels straight. DO NOT relock the steering wheel to center it. This effects how much you can turn the wheels in either direction and more importantly it affects Ackerman or the rate of toe out needed and how much each wheel is given during a turn. The pirate arm swings in a arc and that arc effects the rate each wheel turns measured in degrees. The inner and outer wheel will be different amount of degrees. This is important!

Here's a quick write up I did of one of my alignments.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/885066-setting-caster-camber.html

Last edited by Huskinhano (9/19/2017 12:53 PM)

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.