FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2017 12:40 PM  #1

Door Panels and an idea I want to see if anyone else has tried.

Why aren't companies such as TMI making our door panels of a sturdier materials. The pressed board backing is pathetic and should be an embarrassment to anyone making parts for cars. One step above cardboard.
I had to remove my door panels and was using the special tool to try and pry the metal clips out. I might as well just ripped the thing off and not even bothered. The press board backing tore up anyway. So drop more money for something that will match the interior scheme and TMI gets more money from me.

Once bitten, twice shy. Gotta be a better way. Two solutions come to mind.

1. Neodymium Magnet pucks JB welded onto the same areas the metal clips attach should be strong enough to hold the new door panels on. Plus you have the door/window handles and door pull to help hold in place, keeping the panel from sliding down from road vibration. Has anyone done this?
2. Talking to my neighbor who does Hot Rod interiors from scratch. He says he could replace the pressed board backing with some tough plastic sheeting and use better glue. He would charge money of course, but it ditches the crappy backing.

Thoughts from anyone. Anyone have different solution?

8/30/2017 1:37 PM  #2

Re: Door Panels and an idea I want to see if anyone else has tried.

The factory chipboard from the 60's was much better quality, it took decades of absorbing atmospheric moisture for them to tear at the spring clips. There is no current equivalent material that I know of. I have coated what they are currently calling chipboard with varnish to waterproof and stiffen the cardboard. I have seen guys use 1/8" fiberglass sheet as a replacement for the chipboard, but that only works with flat panels. I have made some molded door panels with fiberglass cloth, polyester resin, and urethane foam, but that is a major undertaking.

My Dad and I replaced the door panels on our 57 Fairlane with shower wall board, worked well. The big box stores still sell similar panels. Again, only good for flat panels.

8/30/2017 1:41 PM  #3

Hmmm...I like where your head is at...

I would be afraid that option one might make it stand off the door too much.

Option 2 sounds like a winner.

What about option 3:  Leave the pressboard in place, but overlay it with a sturdy plastic sheeting.... (might make it stand off the door too much... just throwing it out there for consideration.)

8/30/2017 2:29 PM  #4

I contacted TMI and that was a waste of time also.  I ended up layering strips of fiberglass, approx. 1 1/4 by 2, on the panel in front of the holes where the clips had tore out plus did all of the others.  I then took another pair of water shields and put them on the door an located exactly where the holes were in the door.  I then put that template on the door panel and made sure I put the ends of the clips exactly where they need to be to go in the holes.  Then with a flashlight, I gingerly put the ends of the clips in the holes and gave them a "smack" with my palm and hoped for the best.  I got them on, and hope I don't have to do it again.  The replacements are real "junk".  My opinion!

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

8/30/2017 6:08 PM  #5

As you may know(or NOT!) I taped up ALL the holes in the doors with that silvery stick on roof underlayment.(makes it quieter and blks moisture)
I put a solid coat of the same stuff along the length and width of the door panel.(Did NOT stick out at all!)
I then screwed the panel on with small Phillips head screws with a stainless steel collet/beauty ring under the head.
I believe the 65 panels were screwed on!
I like the look and it is very secure and EZ to remove.
Door feels and sounds heavy like the newer cars.
"To heck wid dim door panel clips!"
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (8/30/2017 6:08 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/30/2017 11:28 PM  #6

I ran into the same problem and was determined to resolve the issue before installing my new set of door trims. I cut 1 1/4" circles from a fairly light weight fiberglass cloth. Once cut, they can be pulled lightly into an oval shape. I then mixed polyester resin to kick slowly and brushed it around each mounting location before applying the cloth ovals. Once the resin soaked cloth cured, I trimmed the "keyhole" openings with an Xacto knife and inserted the clips as usual. The key is to allow the resin to cure slowly, giving it time to saturate the pressboard. They are now very rigid around the fastener locations and the cloth adds almost no additional thickness.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock top end, Sniper EFI, MSD, JBA Headers & Exhaust, T-5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

8/31/2017 1:41 PM  #7

Funny... I got a new headliner for my '92 which originally backed by a piece of cardboard.  New one (TMI?) has a plastic backboard.  

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

8/31/2017 3:51 PM  #8

Muzz 66 wrote:

Funny... I got a new headliner for my '92 which originally backed by a piece of cardboard.  New one (TMI?) has a plastic backboard.  

when I talked to them, I suggested they provide a different back board and they said" we've never heard of the problem before" yeah right.  They just said "just install them" like I don't need any guidance on doing it.  At that point, I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere.

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

8/31/2017 5:04 PM  #9

I almost made up a set of panel backers from 1/8" polycarbonate sheet but I just reinforced the slotted areas with FRP.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/03/2017 9:06 AM  #10

​Since I like the block-off look of race cars, I took my door panels to a fabricator in Garland TX and had him cut aluminum sheet, had him add a brushed look and a slightly curved edge. Installed with stainless hardware and collets. Backside is Dynamat. Recently, I changed to a baked engine paint flat black. Lokar handles.

Yes, hard to close--I am adding the red fabric-loop handles like on race Porsches. In process--will post finished pic at later date.

Paul

Last edited by Prof (9/03/2017 9:11 AM)

9/03/2017 9:38 PM  #11

Paul I like that. Very clean.

9/04/2017 8:04 AM  #12

Prof wrote:

​Since I like the block-off look of race cars, I took my door panels to a fabricator in Garland TX and had him cut aluminum sheet, had him add a brushed look and a slightly curved edge. Installed with stainless hardware and collets. Backside is Dynamat. Recently, I changed to a baked engine paint flat black. Lokar handles.

Yes, hard to close--I am adding the red fabric-loop handles like on race Porsches. In process--will post finished pic at later date.

Paul

Paul - nice job, very neat & clean ...what size & type screws did you use to hold the panels on?

Also, regarding the clips, I taken to grease the clips and the holes, this helped  somewhat on removal.  (I still damaged the panel taking it off)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/04/2017 6:45 PM  #13

Hey  sweeeet!
........Very clean look.
 The screws are "just like" what I have. Collets and all!
I just drilled a hole and the screws made their own threads.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/04/2017 9:11 PM  #14

Uh, yeah...like OK, I didn't mean to steal the thread. Like, I only wanted to post what "trial-and-error" led me to do. Leaving the aluminum natural and brushed was cool, got comments, but just wasn't the right vibe for me. Went with the durable flat black last winter. I remember the fabricator offered to put some dimpling or run some metal-work designs in the aluminum before finishing it out. I declined. 
​I wouldn't be messing around with all this except that I'm pissed--love the look of '67 Pony-interior door panels (chrome and vinyl with groovy handles) but couldn't make them work. 
​I've had the car 35 years this Fall. Lots of changes in the car over the years (in me, too).

9/05/2017 6:12 PM  #15

Prof wrote:

I remember the fabricator offered to put some dimpling or run some metal-work designs in the aluminum before finishing it out. 

Kinda like the stuff Hakan does/did with the Phoenix Project. Flames/ponys and such.
6sal6 

9/23/2017 10:00 PM  #16

I was able to buy some very powerful and very flat Neodymium Magnets and used the JB Weld method. Worked very well and seems to work perfectly. Ask me after the Bash after hitting a potholes. But for now I really like how this turned out. 
First part was finding the areas on the door that were recessed for the magnets to sink into. The original clip areas I found to be the best. Marked with tape, transfered this mark to the back of the panels, then Jb Weld and 15 hours later I got them installed over the plastic shield. I may take the shield out and use the silver tape trick.

9/23/2017 10:01 PM  #17

9/23/2017 10:02 PM  #18

9/23/2017 10:03 PM  #19

TInypics was giving me issues posting the pictures but there they are. Sorry the 3rd picture is small.

9/23/2017 10:54 PM  #20

I've got the same magnets waiting to be glued to my door panels. What is the process and how hard is it to remove the panels?

Last edited by rpm (9/24/2017 9:43 AM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/24/2017 6:01 AM  #21

I just made sure the area to glue was clean. Put a nice daub of JB Weld on the back of the magnet and settled it down on the panel so that an even amount was squeezed from the edge. Leave it alone for 15 hours and it should be good to go. Everywhere there was a clip got a magnet. The top picture shows the how I temp fit the panel to the door to transfer the depressed area of the clip hole to the panel for the magnet. 

9/24/2017 6:09 AM  #22

9/24/2017 6:11 AM  #23

9/24/2017 8:48 PM  #24

Looks like a good idea paid off!!
Bet its tough to remove the door panels now.(which CAN be a good thing, I guess)
6sal6

9/24/2017 9:08 PM  #25

What is the process and how hard is it to remove the panels? Do you pry then off  perpendicular to the door frame, do you slide them a bit parallel first?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.