FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2017 8:10 AM  #1

Buying Flooded Car?

I'm an opportunist, but I'm also not an idiot.  FOR THE RIGHT PRICE...what would be the downside of buying a flooded car?  The engine and transmission of any car should be sealed right?  What would the price have to for you to buy say a 2015 Mustang V8?  Assuming you know it was flooded and you know it is now a salvage title and all the problems that come w/ a salvage title... I figure you would have to replace anything in the interior that wasn't vinyl, metal, or plastic.  The electronics would be a 50/50 bet...  Is this any worse than buying a car that was previously totaled?

I was just having one of those shower thoughts this morning.  There are going to be hundreds of thousands of flooded cars out there and I bet some really nice ones.  What do you think?

9/21/2017 8:32 AM  #2

Re: Buying Flooded Car?

Take the electronic's to be 100% ng, if not now but in time will fail.  If any saltwater you just can't believe what it will do

9/21/2017 8:40 AM  #3

Speaking from personal experience, vinyl upholstery can be a problem as it is fabric backed and will harbor mold. Be prepared to gut the interior clean and replace. Don't use bleach!

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/21/2017 8:47 AM  #4

I have heard horror stories of folks buying flooded cars.  What Grabber Blu said is pretty much exactly the reason you really wouldn't want to get into buying a flooded car.  Personally I think it would be best to steer clear.

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

9/21/2017 9:17 AM  #5

Most of these flooded cars coming out of Florida and Houston area will start to hit the auction houses in the next week or so.  Just skimming the ones already available.  Seems like they are pretty clear on whether they will start or not.  I'm seeing 40-50k cars, 2015, 2016, 2017 for a few grand.  I bet someone has put together a right up on how to buy a flooded car.  One man's trash is another man's treasure.  I was thinking of getting into a new F150 in the spring.  If I could get into a 2016 or newer F150 that starts for less than $5k I would take the risk.  I don't see the down side of not being able to resell it.  What's the difference in spending $5k on a truck from 1999 w/ 200k miles and a flooded 2016?  Seems like just as much risk.  And if you know it will start then that's 90% of it IMO.  I'm not ruling it out.  I figure there are a lot of people thinking the same thing.   

9/21/2017 11:10 AM  #6

One of the problems I've heard of is silt.  Flood waters can deposit mud and silt in every nook and cranny in the body.  And these placed will always hold moisture and be sources for rust.  Just sayin.   The Fox seats in our HT were from a flooded car.  I saved the lumbar bladders, switches, pumps,  and control valves...all of which surprised me.  Completely bead blasted the frames (rust) and replaced all foam and upholstery which wasn't a surprise as I planned to do that anyhow.  But, I didn't know they had been flooded when I laid down my bux (ebay) and I would have passed for less rust had I known.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/21/2017 12:46 PM  #7

Are you buying the car to drive or to part out? Personally only way I would do it would be to part out, and even then you'll have to be really careful.

9/21/2017 2:53 PM  #8

The problem I see is what was done immediately after?  If it was my car, and I got to it in short order I wouldn't worry about it.  I'd pull the plugs, make sure there was no water in the cylinders, change all the fluids, pull every electrical connection apart/blow it out/pack with dielectric grease, and figure the interior is probably at least 80% shot.  But, buying a car a month later that didn't have any of that stuff done?  Hard pass.  Too many unknowns, and its like the saying goes: the cheapest car you ever buy will be the most expensive one you ever own.  You can easily end up chasing gremlins forever.  An older car without all the electronics?  I might roll the dice.  Consider that there are several computers in new cars in the interior to protect them from the elements.  They aren't sealed or potted.  The cost of those alone could be several thousand dollars, and they may require flashing to work right.  Add in the concern about rust and mold, and it just seems like a nightmare. 

9/21/2017 4:53 PM  #9

No way. It will give you problems forever. Unless you are buying a body to make a race car. All components have vents somewhere and will require draining and servicing. Electronics a disaster and all interior must be replaced. But the body will be ok once cleaned up. 

Here is a better idea. Five Star Ford in Plano, Tx is selling hail damaged brand nee Mustangs for HALF PRICE. THESE CARS DO NOT HAVE WATER DAMAGE AND WERE NOT FLOODED.  Replacing sheetmetal parts is alot easier and cheaper than mechanical and electrical and interior.  Some have been repaired, some have slight damage and some are just pummeled.

But they did get hammered pretty good. Check them out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/21/2017 4:57 PM  #10

After Sandy Toyota had 1000's of cars in port Newark that were flooded, the reps said they watched from afar seeing air bags going off, lights going on and off and all kinds of crazy things happening.
Toyota made the reps supervise the cars being crushed and scrapped, nothing from those cars seen any kind of market.  Even things like tires got scraped.

There is a reason why ins company's salvage these car's that receive flood damage.  Even one's with very minor damage, they don't want the responsibility down the road.   They get there 20% salvage and move on.  They know what their exact losses are.

People just can't comprehend a current year 40k car that looks just great can't even get to the point of starting so they can export it.  When we removed the window switch and opened it up it was just a green gob of mung.  That's what the rest of the wiring and ECU's will look like, some of these new cars can have up to 15 ECU's

9/21/2017 9:02 PM  #11

Filthy water and electrical connectors are a bad combination. The right price would have to be free. When it puts me to walking, that's where it would stay.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/22/2017 5:47 AM  #12

a few years ago there was a 66 or 67 fairlane on ebay for sale 427 in it and it had been in a flood. seems to me that would be enough work but a newer car, no thanks. not to mention the longer it sits without being cleaned up the worse the problems could be in the long run. I bought a 89 GT mustang fro the Houston area, NOT a flood car, for the trans. turned out to have a great engine too. anyway, remember not a flood car, when I got home to west texas with it, it had frogs living in it.

9/22/2017 9:51 AM  #13

I've done a lot of research (google searches) and it does seem everyone uniformly says flooded cars are toast.  I did find an auction site that had all their cars with flood damage marked w/ waterline.  There was an F150 that had the waterline just above the floor.  I'm probably going to steer clear of flooded cars but I'm thinking a salvage title on a truck is the best way to go for cost savings.  I had a friend who bought a salvage Camry several years ago at auction.  She found one with the steering wheel missing after it had been broken into.  Replaced the drivers side glass and steering wheel and it was good to go.  She paid maybe 3-4k total after repairs and fees for a car that was only a few years old w/ low mileage.

I'll be looking for a 2014 newer truck on the typical sites to see if a salvage title comes up but the flooded thing seems to be a no go.  I read one article that said most insurance companies try to make sure the flooded cars either get scrapped or never hit the market again just out of liability.

9/24/2017 6:21 AM  #14

If you can find a truck that git hit really hard in the back end that can be a good way to go.  A friend of my neighbor's (actually, the guy who used to be half owner in the shop that painted my '67 back in the day) bought a wrecked truck like that.  $2,000 for a new frame direct from GM, bought a take off bed in good condition, bought most other parts it needed used, and with the cost of the truck, etc. had about $15,000 tied up in a truck that new sold for $35,000.  The reason the insurance company totaled the car was because of the labor cost required to put it back together.  Transferring everything over to a new frame is very time consuming.  He did all the labor himself and saved $20,000 over buying a new truck. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.