FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2017 12:12 PM  #1

500HP 400M based stroker

I remember talking about this engine on one of the other threads, and I came across the article in an old issue of Hot Rod while I was cleaning up around the house, and thought I'd post the specifics for anyone interested.  I'm not sure if this engine would easily fit in a classic Mustang, because the deck height on the 351/400M engines is very tall, meaning the engine is wide and shock tower interference is likely.  I would also suppose that hood clearance would be a major issue, especially with the effective 2" carb spacer they needed to make max power. 

If you've heard of the 400M chances are you regard it as a boat anchor installed in '70s, early '80s trucks and land yachts.  This was Ford's attempt to build an engine that delivered better fuel economy than a big block, yet still had enough torque to move the heavy vehicles into which it went.  Aftermarket support is basically nonexistent, and anyone looking for power typically is going to look elsewhere (does 158HP sound sexy to you?). 

Yet, the engine offers some potential to those willing to think outside the box.  Ken Troutman of KT Engine Development built such an engine for Hot Rod back in '07 using a lot of creativity and some machining to fix what Ford and the regular aftermarket seemingly couldn't.  But why you ask?  Simple, the engine was designed with a 10.297" deck height to allow the use of a 4.00" stroke.  BUT, it still retains the small block bore center spacing, and is based on the Cleveland architecture, so Cleveland heads will bolt right on.  Everything would be pretty much useless without that ability, because the factory heads are all open chamber junk.  Edelbrock's then new Cleveland style heads are the real centerpiece of this build, because now you can move air through the engine. 

For the bottom end a typical junkyard 400M block and crank were used.  The main bearings are 3" diameter, but that doesn't matter; its the rod journals that are an oddball sized 2.311".  The solution is to offset grind those journals down to a 2.100", bringing the stroke up to 4.200" and allowing the use of off the self rods for a Chevy small block (if the purist thing is killing you just stop reading here).  A set of K-1 Technologies off the shelf forged rods with a 6.300" center to center length for a SBC were used, but the pin bushings had to be knocked out and the bores honed to allow the use of a Dodge 340 KB hypereutectic pistons.  The block needs to be bored 0.040" to accommodate the stock 340 piston size of 4.040", and decked 0.027" to get 0.030" piston deck clearance (no intake milling required).  The balance for this combo was a little tricky, employing a Ford 5.0 50oz. imbalance balancer & flexplate/flywheel, 0.495" was shaved off the tops of the crank counterweights, and finally, some heavy metal was required.  Thanks to the offset grinding of the crank displacement is now 431 c.i.  The front accessory drive will require some tweaking with spacers to get the belts to line up because the 5.0 balancer sticks out farther than the 400s.

The top end uses Edelbrock's Performer RPM Cleveland heads, employing Yates closed style chambers (62cc) and 2.02/1.60 valves.  The installed springs will tolerate up to 0.600" lift.  Runner volume is 190/75.  The cam is a custom ground single pattern hydraulic roller from Crane (52HR00032). with 234 degrees of duration at .050" lift, and using Crane 1.7 roller rockers (7/16" stud mount) netted total valve lift of 0.598".  Obviously the 400M was never offered with a roller cam, but a set of FRRP lifters for a 5.0 and a retrofit lifter kit from Comp Cams (31-1000) make it an easy swap.  The springs were swapped, to avoid possible issues with lift so close to max, for a set of Comp Cams 929-16 springs.  A set of 5/16" pushrods connect everything.  All done?  Nope, the Cleveland valve angles required recutting the piston valve pockets with Isky's tool for this task.  Apparently the amount that needed to be cut was only about 0.060", so this was a reasonable way to accomplish the task, albeit with a lot of head installation and removal.  Sharp edges on the pistons should then be smoothed. 

Air in was provided by an Edelbrock 2171 dual plane intake and Holley 870 Street Avenger carb.  Max power was made using two stacked 1" carb spacers (it really wanted a single plane intake, but I guess they didn't have one lying around).  Exhaust was handled by a set of Walker headers with 1-3/4" primaries.  Spark was handled by an MSD distributor, coil, and wires firing good old Autolite plugs. 

All told they sunk just under $7,000 into this thing.  It made 505HP at 5,500RPM and 565 lbs/ft. at 4,300 with massive torque available from just off idle.  I'm sure that with some port work, a different intake, and maybe a different cam this thing could make even more power before it started to sacrifice driveability.  All in all its an interesting exercise in what you can do with creativity and careful measuring using off the shelf parts in an oddball engine.  I don't expect this will suddenly make the 351/400M engines desirable, but you never know.  For decades stroker engines were exotic, and now if you need to refresh the bottom end it would almost be foolish not to increase the stroke, because the cost of the parts has come down so much.  For decades the FE engines were basically ignored until guys like Barry Rabotnick started working with aftermarket manufacturers to bring reasonably priced modern parts to market.  It will be interesting to see if the M engines ever gain any traction as big inch, high powered engines become the norm.

9/19/2017 12:26 PM  #2

Re: 500HP 400M based stroker

Do you remember,Super Ford magazine from back in the 90's? They did a spread on a Cobra that Shelby built for himself. A 400M was selected. They stroked it to 460 and used the SVO aluminum Cleveland heads at the time along with those cool aluminum valve covers SVO sold at the time that did double duty as a rocker stabilizer.I thought they were cool looking covers but they only lasted a short time.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

9/19/2017 2:13 PM  #3

Thanks TKO, for that story.  As a guy who at one time was on the fringes of building 1932 Ford Model "B" 4-Bangers I can really relate to figuring out what OEM parts will do the job.  We used everything from Hercules lifters (center ground with the bottom hand ground to fit the "B" cam) to early Chevy rockers (on various full overhead heads) and '37 Pontiac six cyl. rods.  We also used various pistons including '56 Olds and Ford 332 (hard to find).  My old friend was the first guy to use dip-oiling with insert bearings (he found some Volvo shells that would work with the "B" rods and mains after a little boring.  He even found a two-piece neoprene rear main seal that pretty much solved the leak problems and Kong came up with a revers oil-screw that he turned into the front crank pully so these old engines were actually pretty dry.

BB

Lots O' fun....I miss it.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/20/2017 7:29 AM  #4

Bullet Bob wrote:

Thanks TKO, for that story.  As a guy who at one time was on the fringes of building 1932 Ford Model "B" 4-Bangers I can really relate to figuring out what OEM parts will do the job.  We used everything from Hercules lifters (center ground with the bottom hand ground to fit the "B" cam) to early Chevy rockers (on various full overhead heads) and '37 Pontiac six cyl. rods.  We also used various pistons including '56 Olds and Ford 332 (hard to find).  My old friend was the first guy to use dip-oiling with insert bearings (he found some Volvo shells that would work with the "B" rods and mains after a little boring.  He even found a two-piece neoprene rear main seal that pretty much solved the leak problems and Kong came up with a revers oil-screw that he turned into the front crank pully so these old engines were actually pretty dry.

BB

Lots O' fun....I miss it.

BB

Cool stuff BB.  Lack of aftermarkets parts and funds usually lead to some awesome backyard engineering.  I love stories like that!

9/20/2017 7:45 AM  #5

red351 wrote:

It just the end of the good times by the early 70's when the first clevelands appeared. Ford had plans that the clever was lighter and cheaper to build than a true B block. We were all sitting in gas lines for hours for $2 limit and paying over an unthinkable 50 cents a gal. Ford had Windsor 351 and big V8's didn't have much market left anymore. 400 shared the same BB bell pattern and motor mounts as 429/460 but did not fit well in smaller early mustangs till 71/73 models. Believe me I tried dropping a 400 in Bonnie's 67 butt I had to do things like leave the valve covers and exhaust manifolds off and cut a hole in the hood just for the carb to stick up through . The after market just wasn't interested in the bigger clevers. The only one I know of, that offered a stroker performance kit was T Myers. The 400 crank does have the same main bearings size as 351W, but just cost too much for custom rods and pistons to make it all work. Our friend down yonder never seen the 400, so it just died here in the states when ford was done with it by the early 80's. The Cleveland gets a bad reputation because most people just repeat what they always here, such as bad oiling system and to costly to get any kind of performance. NOT to sound like bragging, but the red car could be driven as a daily driver and has been across country several times and has somewhere over 30t miles. The only thing that been upgraded is a mild Lunate street cam and shorty headers. 389hp 480 tq. to tires and by 6 grand it fell flat on its face. The perfect street for me...

Anyone who though the Clevelands didn't make power never had any experience with one.  I would agree that the 4V stuff was too big for street use.  It made great power once wound up, but lacked the low end grunt, and often still wasn't cammed right for the heads and intake from the factory.  The 2V engines had maybe more potential for a street car, but you had to figure out how to get a four barrel carb on them. I think they were a lot like the FE series.  Barry Rabotnick in his book on building the FE talks about why the FE stopped being considered a performance engine once the 385 series came out, despite the FE's stellar record in racing.  It boils down to the fact that aftermarket support was never very good.  All the performance goodies were factory offerings, that dried up as demand waned.  For the average guy to try to build an FE that made big power he had to hunt down used up factory performance parts, pay an arm & a leg for them, and hope they could be reworked.  That made the Windsors and the 385 engines much more attractive, and the FE was relegated to either guys with big checkbooks, or restoration guys.  I think the situation was the same for the Cleveland, except the factory support was never anywhere near as strong as for the FE.  It was released into the worst time for performance.  '70 was the last year for all out engines.  By '71 emissions standards strangled everything, and all the good engines were effectively neutered with low compression and peanut cams. 

I knew a guy in college who had a small shop, D&D Performance I think it was, outside Allentown, PA.  He sold mostly mail order stuff to the Fox and SN95 crowd.  He had an early '80s Fox car with a 351 Cleveland in it he built because guys kept saying Clevelands didn't run.  It was a 4V engine with a custom cam, headers, and these exhaust port things that put a finger into the ports to effectively raise the port floor.  He had to repeatedly take power out of the car, because it ran too fast for his class (not enough safety gear).  Detuned it was running consistent 9s in the 1/4.  I learned a lot from that guy.  His name escapes me at the moment.  He had a Boss 429 too that he bought for next to nothing during the gas crunch.  I asked him how it ran, he said stock it was a total dog.  It took a good bit of work to get it to run where it should have, but Ford didn't care about its performance, they just wanted the engine homologated to race it in the Torino in NASCAR.  So as is often the case the common lore is wrong.  Guys revere the Boss 429 and revile the Cleveland, when it maybe should be the other way around. 

9/20/2017 11:07 PM  #6

There were some rare Cleveland heads from Australia.  They had 2bbl runners and 4bbl combustion chambers.  They were the hot ticket back in the 80's.  I haven't seen hide nor hair of them since I moved from SoCal 20+ years ago.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

9/21/2017 5:07 AM  #7

Yes, the mythical Australian heads!  I too remember hearing about them.  I'm sure they are real, the Aussies loved the Cleveland as I recall, and I'm sure you could still find them, but at this point with demand very low I'm guessing you'd have to scour the web, beg one of our Aussie members here, or take a trip to the land down unda.

9/21/2017 11:54 AM  #8

What Red said. Most serious Ozzies are using AFD heads.
https://www.afdheads.com

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/21/2017 2:43 PM  #9

The Edelbrock heads used in the article were $909/ea. in '07.  Looks like they are more like $1,100/ea. now through Summit.  Still, $2,200 for a set of ready to run heads for an engine that isn't an SBC or SBF is pretty hard to heat.  The aluminum is also going to save you about 80lbs. on the front end I would guess. 

9/21/2017 7:58 PM  #10

red351 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

The Edelbrock heads used in the article were $909/ea. in '07.  Looks like they are more like $1,100/ea. now through Summit.  Still, $2,200 for a set of ready to run heads for an engine that isn't an SBC or SBF is pretty hard to heat.  The aluminum is also going to save you about 80lbs. on the front end I would guess. 

A little touchup on cast 2v heads will out flow Edelbrock. A bunch of his guys were at a show years ago. So walked over to see what they had to say, and what was new. They were more willing to talk GM at that time. Later that day I walked over again to show some closed camber 4v I pickup. Theynever seen anything like it and said those port tunnels are just way to big to mean anything good. So a few years later here comes Edelbrocks clever heads. They closed the exhaust side ports a little on the bottom. but never raise them. Intakes were smaller deeper down inside for more off the line bottom end torque. That was their selling BS line at the time. I hear of only a few Edelbrocks clever heads some folks have gotten. Most agree that a split duration cam to balance the cast Iron  2v and 4v exhaust port shortfall will out perform Edelbrock. Just today, if or trying to save some weight. I needed the cherry picker to remove the cast iron clever 4v intake. Bonnie couldn't hold my feet down as I reached over the fender to lift.... Blue Thunder intake is much lighter......

Sounds like its more "kin" to the FE  (weight-wise) than the SBF.

Split duration cam grind?!!  Longer duration on the exhaust side?.....or more lift on the exhaust?  Sorta gives the engine a....little more time to expel the exhaust?! Why....cause they are so large...or just poor design?!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/22/2017 6:36 AM  #11

I can't say flow wise, and I suppose its possible that Hot Rod simply used the heads because Edelbrock offered them to them for testing, or it could have been cost based.  I can say that from past experience Edlebrock heads have worked very well on everything I've ever put them on.  They aren't AFRs, but for typically $500 less are you really going to notice that difference anywhere other than a dyno and possibly a racetrack?

Also typically getting a set of old iron heads ready to run often eclipses the cost of new Edelbrock heads, especially when the cast heads are expensive to start with and you don't already have a serviceable set.  The costs just start to pile up, hot tank, Magnaflux, replace exhaust seats with hardened seats, maybe replace the guides, valve job, springs, maybe valves, etc.  You toss port work into it and its even worse.  In the interest of fairness you could port the Edelbrock heads too.  They respond really well to that from what I've seen.

No doubt the Cleveland head design was a giant leap forward in port design and valve placement.  For Fords they were without doubt the best factory small block design ever offered.  So in the end it likely comes down to what's more cost effective and weight.  Oh, and cam profile!  Had to toss that in there for 6sally6!

9/24/2017 6:29 AM  #12

Seems maybe what they should have done was sell the head as a Performer and then offer a Performer RPM with bigger ports and more flow.  Interestingly they do sell a Victor single plane intake for the Cleveland. 

Pedestal rockers are not really failure prone from what I've seen.  I can't remember one ever failing on anything in fact.  I think its more a rocker selection thing, because screw in studs gets you access to cheap roller rockers. 

The Cleveland fits just fine in a Fox body.  Dainty strut towers allow a 460 to fit easier than an FE in a classic. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.