FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2017 1:00 PM  #1

If I hadn't already made reservations for the bash...........UPDATE!!

and my best friend is driving his 49 F-1 truck.............I probably wouldn't come this year!
After buttoning up the last detail on the Mustang I took it for a test run.
Ran smooth....shifted nice.... everything sounded great except.......................a strange flapping sound from under the car!?!Almost like something had come loose and was whipping in the air. I stopped and checked under and around the car nada.
I leave the Advance parking lot(ironically) and while in 2nd gear and about 35-40 mph the flapping sound started again.....strange. Came to a yield sign and slowed to about 10mph and the tires totally locked up and the car skidded to a stop in the middle of the intersection!!
Clutch in....no move......ease the clutch out its locked up, won't move.....in neutral.......no move.
AAA towed me home and I had figgered a locked rear end or "possible" malfunction with the rear drum brakes.
Got up this morning for church and a huge puddle of AT fluid under car!!
Looks like I pull the T-5 for a THIRD time!!                   Some day.
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (9/18/2017 5:40 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/17/2017 2:07 PM  #2

Re: If I hadn't already made reservations for the bash...........UPDATE!!

Bummer Mike!! SO iz it gonna be you and your Buddy in the 41 F-1?? Or you gonna make the girls ride in the truck bed??
Remember it's about the friends & Buddys not about the cars.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

9/17/2017 2:29 PM  #3

Too big a cam?

9/17/2017 2:42 PM  #4

That Stinks!   Hope you get it all figured out.

9/17/2017 2:52 PM  #5

Now Sal!  I know what you said can't be true!  Cause I know you just can't wait to see me in person again!!  Sorry to hear about your car!  See you in a few weeks!!

9/18/2017 9:09 AM  #6

I was looking forward to hearing those open pipes.  Hope you getter fixed real soon.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

9/18/2017 1:47 PM  #7

boomyal wrote:

Too big a cam?

That is just wrong!!! Funny..but wrong.

9/18/2017 1:53 PM  #8

I hate to hear that.  I know it's frustrating!  Hang in there, buddy!

Last edited by Michael H. (9/18/2017 2:00 PM)

9/18/2017 5:36 PM  #9

Looks like all is well in "Sally-ville" once again!!
I'm so ashamed I had so little faith in my work!   CRAZY BUTT TRUE!!!!!!!
The durn emergency brake cable got wrapped around the front u-joint and pulled the emergency brake solid/tight and that's why it came to a screeching stop!! The cable tore the tailshaft seal and that is where the A/T fluid came from!!
Soooooooooooooooo instead of rebuilding the T-5 I got by with a $6.75 seal replacement. Gonna try another "road test" tomorrow.....maybe it will be un-eventful.
6s6
PS.........Have any of you guyz ever had this happen to you?! Do ya'll even know anybody this has happened to?!(besides Glenn)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/18/2017 5:42 PM  #10

I have never heard of this before.  I have heard of E-brake cables slapping against the drive shaft and floor pans;but, never wrapped around shaft.

9/18/2017 8:34 PM  #11

Sooooo happy to hear that, Mike.  I really wanna see that new paint job.   And...it wern't even remotely cam related.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/23/2017 9:40 PM  #12

Mustangs in the shop(on a lift) and parts are on order!!!!!
Went for the old "test drive" the other day and while in route...........clutch pedal went to the floor again(and stayed!)
I'm now on first name basis with AAA.
Just couldn't force myself to lay on my back and pull that T-5 for the THIRD time.
The little bracket that the release arm pivots on....broke half-in-two  letting the arm just flop around and (naturally) not working.
Ordered part from NPD and will receive it Tuesday.
Total cost of the part and retaining spring.......................................................................$21.51 including shipping(which is MORE than the part itself)
Labor cost to install...............priceless!(not really butt I'm sure its more than $21.51)
I'm com'in though...........it might be in a 49 F-1....OR the Mustang, we'll see.
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (9/23/2017 9:45 PM)

9/23/2017 9:48 PM  #13

Good thing it happened now and now 2 weeks later.

9/24/2017 8:43 AM  #14

Mike I am glad you are showing up with your car. Everyone needs to hear it with the open pipes. Warms your heart.

9/24/2017 9:08 AM  #15

Can't wait to hear the roaring thunder.

9/24/2017 8:21 PM  #16

red351 wrote:

Should I throw a pipe and chain in the truck just in case we should see you along the road....Wouldn't that look good behind a Chevy....

Tell me your NOT driving a Chevy to a MUSTANG get together!?!!   J/K
6sal6
PS......Maybe you should bring the chain

10/01/2017 9:27 PM  #17

Looks like everything is working EXCEPT............my cruise control! Taillight was out and thought that was the problem butt...no joy. I guess all that "action" under there with the e-cable vs driveshaft musta messed with the magnet(s) on the shaft.
I'll survive.
6sal6 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.