FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2017 4:41 PM  #1

Pre-Bash test run

Well today I finally got the new 5.0, borgeson p/s and A/C all put to the test.  I drove from Houston to Austin and back.  Car did good.  Started making rattle noise under the dash, something is loose.
No A/C used in the morming, it was nice and cool outside.  Return trip A/C on the entire road trip,felt ok but seems to get little warmer under load. I noticed went I would let off the air would get little cooler?  Not sure what that is.
Biggest surprise is one of the exhaust hanger bolts vibrated off, so I used a coat hanger temporary for the ride back.  Other annoying issue was Gas gauge. I filled up in Katy and by the time I got to Austin it was at 1/2 of the last quarter tank!  I changed the tank to a 20gal. For the Bash.  So, by my estimates, It had sucked up about 17-18 gals!!
Went to fill up and only 8 gal. Of gas went in.  So, something is off w/ sending unit. It was new but, float must have hole.
By time I got back to Houston, the gauge read empty, probably from A/C use?

So according to 8 gals at refill, I was doing 18.75 mpg on the way up there.  Not too bad.

Last edited by Ozblitz (9/23/2017 9:29 PM)

9/23/2017 5:02 PM  #2

Re: Pre-Bash test run

Did you put in the proper sending unit? Sometimes we overlook the simple things.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

9/23/2017 5:25 PM  #3

Oscar,

With just over a week to go I suggest you dial in the important stuff.  Brakes, running temp, AC.  The fuel gage can be tweaked when you have a couple of days to pull the sender and make the necessary adjustments to get it as close as it will get...probably never right on. 
As for the AC, what unit are you using and did the kit provide a Wide-Open-Throttle switch that kicks off the compress under full throttle operation.  If that isn't adjusted right it could be tripping the compressor too soon.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/23/2017 6:41 PM  #4

I almost hate to admit it;but, I have been using the Bash trips to identify all the little things that need fixing but aren't severe enough to have to fix on the open road.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

9/23/2017 9:25 PM  #5

Well the gas tank sending unit is a 20 gal. Not 16 so, that's why I'm thinking the float must have a pin hole in it.  I don't recall if it was plastic or bronze??

The A/C is the original underdash but it was upgraded to 134 and Sanden compressor some years back by the previous owner.  I'm not even sure if it has a WOT cut off switch.  Eng. Temp seemed ok, it didn't get past the "E".  If I get into traffic or held at a light too long, it will start creeping up close to the "M".  I usually cut the A/C off when that happens.

9/24/2017 7:56 AM  #6

Sounds to me like you are pretty good to go.  You know it will get and easy 18 mpg so just fill up every 250 to 300 miles and worry about the gage later.  I had the old "hang on" unit converted to R134 and it would freeze my knee.  Spent a lot of time and $$ to get rid of the old unit...not sure the new stuff will ever work as well. 

No, that old system should not have a WOT switch unless someone installed it.  I can't think of what would cause the sysmptoms you spoke of except possibly belt slippage.

Butt...if it will keep Mama reasonably comfy for six hundred miles we can look it over at the bash.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (9/24/2017 7:57 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/24/2017 9:12 AM  #7

Hopefully the weather will be mild for those who don't have good running A/C's.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

9/24/2017 11:58 AM  #8

Weather is cooling off from the summer heat. Now is still 80-89.
Plenty of gas available with prices beginning to drop back down a bit.

Getting more more excited to see folks arriving.
Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

9/24/2017 5:15 PM  #9

Ozblitz wrote:

Well today I finally got the new 5.0, borgeson p/s and A/C all put to the test. I drove from Houston to Austin and back. Car did good. Started making rattle noise under the dash, something is loose.
No A/C used in the morming, it was nice and cool outside. Return trip A/C on the entire road trip,felt ok but seems to get little warmer under load. I noticed went I would let off the air would get little cooler? Not sure what that is.
Biggest surprise is one of the exhaust hanger bolts vibrated off, so I used a coat hanger temporary for the ride back. Other annoying issue was Gas gauge. I filled up in Katy and by the time I got to Austin it was at 1/2 of the last quarter tank! I changed the tank to a 20gal. For the Bash. So, by my estimates, It had sucked up about 17-18 gals!!
Went to fill up and only 8 gal. Of gas went in. So, something is off w/ sending unit. It was new but, float must have hole.
By time I got back to Houston, the gauge read empty, probably from A/C use?

So according to 8 gals at refill, I was doing 18.75 mpg on the way up there. Not too bad.

​I have the same problem.  20 gal tank w/20 gal sender.  At 1/4 tank indicated, I put in around 9 gallons!  I've had 3 senders with the same problem.  It acts like a 16 gal sender like I used to have.    Can't figure it out.  Fortunately I have not had to take a long trip recently.  But, if I do, I will probably take a 5 gal can along.  There can be long stretches between gas stations.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (9/24/2017 5:18 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

9/24/2017 6:45 PM  #10

Thanks guys!  I'm gettin a little giddy.  This is my 4th Bash but, 1st in a Mustang!

9/24/2017 7:44 PM  #11

If anyone is interested I will email a PDF of my Gas Gauge Gage if you PM you email addy.  This is a set of templates and instructions that will help you adjust/bend/calibrate you fuel sender so that it will indicate E when you have 2 or 3 gallons in the tank.  If won't help the linearity of the sender/gauge setup but it will let you know when it's time to add fuel. 
Setting this up takes a little time so you don't want to dive into it if you don't have a few hours.  Also, you need to  remove the sender so the tank needs to be nearly MT.

I set our's up to have about 4 gallons (22 gal tank) when the gauge is at E.  At 1/8 indicated it takes 16-17 gallons.

BB

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.