FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2017 6:04 PM  #1

One Heck of a Bash Trip

Just spent forever writing a detailed essay of my trip to and from the bash, only to have it deleted when I tried to add a pic. I'm too lazy to write it again,  so here's the Cliff Notes version.

I truly had a great time meeting and talking to all y'all folks.
Total miles driven was 4,837. Average mpg was 16.77, with a low of 13.5 and a high of 21 on a tank fill up.

On the trip home after splitting up with BB and RV6, I had a r/f outer wheel bearing fail just East of West Monroe LA. The tow company owner, manager, driver are all huge Mustang fans/owners. The diver and a Napa counter guy went completely overboard getting me back on the road after we had issues from some hub damage. I'm mighty grateful to those folks in West Monroe and Farmerville. If we hadn’t left early I'd have taken the 10 West and who knows who'd have been helping me.

All in all I truly had a blast and feel blessed to have met you guys and arrive back home on one piece.

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2d0jus9.jpg[/IMG

Last edited by rpm (10/11/2017 6:05 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/11/2017 6:25 PM  #2

Re: One Heck of a Bash Trip

I think I see your problem there. Little WD-40 and you are back on the road.

10/11/2017 6:35 PM  #3

Glad you got such good help!  

How long had the bearings been on there?  Just curious for future reference.

BASH # 15.
Check bearings

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/11/2017 7:38 PM  #4

rpm wrote:

Just spent forever writing a detailed essay of my trip to and from the bash, only to have it deleted when I tried to add a pic. I'm too lazy to write it again,  so here's the Cliff Notes version.

Hey Bob, that's why I type it out in an email or a word doc for just such an emergency. Way to go on the fuel economy too, I hope I get that lucky.

Looks like repairs were made on the wrecker!! Gets the car to a nice working height!

It was a lot of fun talking with you on Friday.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/11/2017 8:15 PM  #5

MS wrote:

BASH # 15.
Check bearings

Now that's funny, cause its true.

Steve,  they were new to the rebuild of the car.  So 1,100 miles before the trip.  Doing a goggle search I found some similar experiences with Chinese bearings on The Hamb forum.

10/11/2017 8:22 PM  #6

Great minds think alike John,  I typed the redo on a word doc.

Vince the tow driver mentioned leaving it on the bed to do the repairs because of the bed height. Brilliant.

I too enjoyed talking with you.  We all have a lot more in common than just these cars.  It sure is nice to now see a person on these posts rather than a pic of their car. Good luck on your build.

Last edited by rpm (10/11/2017 8:24 PM)

10/11/2017 9:33 PM  #7

Guess this is the down side of "cross-country" drives!?!
Glad it was JUST mechanical and nothing worse. The wheel didn't run off the spindle(I hope)..so no damage to that  sweet look'in 69.
Same here on the "putting-a-face-to-the-username". Good to talk and hang out with ya.  Your ride is even longer than mine butt.........maybe we can get together again at another bash!?!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/11/2017 9:59 PM  #8

Glad to see you got some Southern hospitality!   It was nice visiting with you and knowing we have similar backgrounds.

10/12/2017 5:28 AM  #9

Dammm,  note to self. no more china parts  

10/12/2017 7:42 AM  #10

Holy Moly!  Did that happen all at once or did it roar for a while first?

10/12/2017 11:46 AM  #11

Michael it was sudden and without any warning. She was running smooth and straight with no vibration. At first I thought it was a flat tire, but because of rapid deceleration I figured something else was going on. I never touched the brakes and had just enough speed to pull out of the traffic lanes.

Dang Macho Man, I mean Mochaman, great idea, a little wd-40 never crossed my mind. I'll have start carrying some in the car. Thanks

Sally, the caliper contained the rotor and hub from coming of the spindle completely. But without the outer bearing the rotor chewed up the caliper pretty good. Hopefully I'll see you at the next bash in Texas. Does Texas require you fellas from SC to get a visa or shots in order to visit?

Gotta love that Southern hospitality. This was just my 4th trip to the South so I'm still in awe of folks friendliness and manners.

I did find and install an outer bearing while in Winslow AZ that is made in Brazil. Figured anything but chicom parts.

As this was my first real trip in the 69, I was pretty shocked at the number of folks from all walks of life and ages who commented on the Mustang. You guys are probably used to to attention the cars gather but I'm still telling friends and relatives about it. It was a heck of a trip, so glad I made it.

10/12/2017 2:53 PM  #12

rpm wrote:

As this was my first real trip in the 69, I was pretty shocked at the number of folks from all walks of life and ages who commented on the Mustang. You guys are probably used to to attention the cars gather but I'm still telling friends and relatives about it. It was a heck of a trip, so glad I made it.

Thats cos you have a Stang well worth commenting on.
Then you try and out Drama BB on road fiixes, at least yours looks more dramatic

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

10/12/2017 3:18 PM  #13

Mine could have been real dramatic also but thanks to Bob, Gary (RV6), and Josh we were able to figure it out and make a temp fix in a handy parking lot.  Fortunately we didn't need the welder or lathe which, I'm pretty sure, are the only tools Bob left home.  I mean how many guys can break out a floor jack and stands. 

I'm just so happy that the damage was confined to the caliper, rotor, and hub.  One more reason to have disk brakes.  My cousin had a similar thing happen and but for the caliper he would have likely gone off a cliff. 

We really enjoyed your company Bob, and I want you to know that you are welcome at chez BB any-ol'-time.  And thanks again for all your help.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/12/2017 3:19 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/12/2017 7:03 PM  #14

Thanks for the kind words guys.  I am truly humbled and amazed by the quality of folks on this forum.

10/12/2017 10:14 PM  #15

WOW!!!!!! A po-po from Bakersfield!! AND a snuff dipper!!
My BOY!!!! You fit right in with us "good-old-boyz"!!
Glad to have ye as part of the MSBB regularz!!
Guess we'll see ye in TEXAS (everythangs big in TEXAS)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/13/2017 3:59 PM  #16

rpm wrote:

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am truly humbled and amazed by the quality of folks on this forum.

RPM, you were a great traveling companion. BB and Josh too! We could not have picked a better group to travel with. The only downside to the trip was that BB an I were not there to help with the bearing failure.

In Jackson I wired my remote start switch as a manual brake light switch. Now the green 67 coupe looks like it has a Nitrous button on the gear shift. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

10/13/2017 11:03 PM  #17

Holy moly, that's a hell of a failure! Probably needed a new pair of pants after that one.

For what it's worth (probably nothing), I use Timken bearings and they have always been good. Just repacked them at the 30,000 mile mark and they show no signs of wear.

Glad to see you got home safe!

"Calamity Jane" - Insane road warrior powered by hopes and dreams and piloted by an idiot.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.