FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2017 8:50 PM  #1

Coyote

I've been on this site for years and have never posted, so I'll start with a good one. I have a 66 convertible that I was originally going to put in an old 302 I had laying around. I'm at a bit of a crossroads here. One thing led to another and now I'm itchin for a coyote. I've already welded in a TCI front end and cut out the towers. I know the engine will fit, it's some of the other stuff that I'm worried about. I've been searching online to and I've found some good stuff addressing some of my concerns, but not everything. Who here has done it or knows someone who has? What issues did you face? What transmission did you use, and did you have to enlarge the tunnel? Any links to good threads you've seen on this topic would be apprecaited also. I feel like all I'm finding is "I put this motor in, enlarged the tunnel, and hooked up these wires and it fired right up," and I know there's way more to it than that. Thanks 

4/07/2017 12:20 AM  #2

Re: Coyote

Well welcome aboard! Great project you set out to do. You'll get plenty of help.  Sorry I can't help but please feel free to post a pic or two of what has been done so far. There will be those with experience with this along shortly.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

4/07/2017 6:34 AM  #3

Go over to
http://www.pro-touring.com
and look up a guy names CrestonWizard. He has done this and can tell you whatever you need to know about it.;

Last edited by Mach1_Ron (4/07/2017 6:35 AM)

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/08/2017 7:02 PM  #4

Thanks, that crestronwizard build was pretty sweet, way more intense than I plan. Here's what my project looks like as of now, lots of room in there.....

4/08/2017 7:02 PM  #5

4/09/2017 10:40 AM  #6

4/10/2017 10:35 AM  #7

rez wrote:

Thanks, that crestronwizard build was pretty sweet, way more intense than I plan. Here's what my project looks like as of now, lots of room in there.....

Yep, lots of room, until you put that Coyote in there that is.  A good friend of mine is doing a swap into a '02 and I saw the engine on the stand; its huge.  Even in a car that was designed around a 4.6 it still requires quite a bit of finagaling.  The physical getting it to bolt in part is really only half the battle, and the easy half at that.  The wiring is going to be the tough part. 

5/12/2017 6:05 AM  #8

Hello Rez and everyone else on this thread.. I'm a newbie here also and just purchased a 66 coupe in January as a father and son project.It's going to be a pro touring car with a full upgraded suspension and Coyote engine.
I am looking for some insight also in order to minimize  time consuming  and costly mistakes.
My first question is, should I keep the original pedal box(automatic) which will be converted to standard shift or is there a better alternative ...cable or hydraulic clutch?

Last edited by 1966coyote (5/12/2017 6:17 AM)

Instagram : Howlinstang 🏁

5/12/2017 3:42 PM  #9

Keep the original pedals and pedal support. There are hydraulic kits that will fit it. The Coyote 6 speeds use hydraulic clutch.

If I were to install a Coyote engine in a classic, I think I woukd use the Ford Racing stand alone harness and computer designed for the purpose. It will greatly simplify things.  About $2k for it, but we already know money is not going to be an issue once you decide to do this swap. If it is, better choose another route.

That is one great engine. Can't wait until used ones get cheap on craigslist so I can get one and tear it apart and see what makes it tick.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/12/2017 3:56 PM  #10

1966coyote wrote:

Hello Rez and everyone else on this thread.. I'm a newbie here also and just purchased a 66 coupe in January as a father and son project.It's going to be a pro touring car with a full upgraded suspension and Coyote engine.
I am looking for some insight also in order to minimize  time consuming  and costly mistakes.
My first question is, should I keep the original pedal box(automatic) which will be converted to standard shift or is there a better alternative ...cable or hydraulic clutch?

The pedal support is the same for automatics and manuals.  You just need the manual pedals (brake and clutch), which should be pretty easy to come by (might be available aftermarket, not sure for '66 they are for '67).

The stand alone harness is the ONLY way to go, unless you have a degree in electrical engineering and a ton of spare time to reverse engineer it.  Even then there's bound to be a lot of programming stuff too, so better have a degree in computer programming too.  No, the stand alone harness greatly simplifies this type of swap.

On the suspension you could save a lot of money by just keeping the stock stuff with upgrades.  You can easily spend $10,000 to "upgrade" everything, and it may look trick with heim joints and tubular A-arms, etc., but it won't go around a corner any better than a stock type suspension that's been properly modified and set up.  Shelby drop, boxing the arms, good springs, shocks, bushings, and sway bars make a night and day difference.  Oh, and stiffen up the chassis with some subframe connectors.  These cars have a lot of flex in them.  A stiffer chassis lets you run a lighter spring and still get better more predictable handling.  If you're going to spend money I'd spend it on the rear end first and ditch the leaf springs, ideally in favor of a torque arm system.  Not sure if anyone sells a bolt in TA system, but one can be fabricated.  Hakan, a member on here from Sweden, has some links to his car that he built a TA system for.  Do a search and you'll find it.  Great fab work.  Really beautiful stuff. 

5/12/2017 6:37 PM  #11

Thanks for all your input I really appreciate it,so far the Ford stand alone seems to be the general consensus.As for the suspension TCI or Detroit Speed are the front runners.I'm leaning towards TCI with Detroit speed mini tubs

5/12/2017 6:39 PM  #12

rez wrote:

I suggest checking the steering shaft length for any potential interferences with the Coyote engine.
I have the same front end (although from Rod & Custom) and while I'm running a 351W, my steering column length is longer (sticks out from the firewall by about 6", 9.5" from firewall to the center of the u-joint).  My D-Shaft is at a much sharper angle then yours and I do not have interference issues.  I'm not saying this is an issue, but is worth checking prior to landing the engine.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/12/2017 7:25 PM  #13

Soooooooo...I guess you're say'in a Holley/Edelbrock carb( and other old skool tech stuff) won't work on a coyote set-up?!!
Can you put a couple of bad-a$$ camshafts in it to make it cut-up pretty good?!!
We can only hope
6s6
Be sure and let us "tag-along" on this cool build you fellas are do'in!!  Pics are great thing.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/13/2017 1:59 AM  #14

I'm still undecided what I'm going to do. TCI is 15 min away from me so I went up to their shop to check everything out. I started with the front end and was happy with construction, so I went with their torque arm set up also. I just picked up the torque arm set up last week and I can't answer for how any of it handles but it looks beefy and well constructed. From what I've found online, looks like there are some issues going with their front end, like moving firewall back, enlarging trans tunnel, and moving the MC, and it appears to be questionable if the hood will close. I was initially going to put in an old 302 I had laying around, and then I decided coyote, but now I'm leaning back towards the 302. The good news is that I don't have to make a decision right now, as I have plenty of other metalwork to address.

5/13/2017 5:27 AM  #15

The trans tunnel will almost certainly not fit a modern trans.  I haven't heard anything about the firewall, but its certainly possible.  Its a really big engine.  A buddy of mine is doing a swap into an '02 GT, and even in a car built for a 4.6 its still a tight fit and there are some clearance issues. 

In terms of power you can get the same power from the older engine that fits a lot easier.  EFI is a pretty easy swap if you stay with an EECIV based system ('86-'93), or use one of the many aftermarket systems available.  So its all about what your goals are.  Installing a stroker 302/5.0 based engine is going to take a lot less time, and cost a lot less money.  The advantage of the Coyote is it pegs to cool factor when you pop the hood, leaving the biggest queestion: what's that worth in terms of hassle and cost?

6/01/2017 10:54 PM  #16

I guess I leaned back to coyote. A few issues I will need to address to make fit, looks like I will need to slide the master cylinder over. Also will need to modify the motor mounts that came with the TCI kit to get the motor to sit lower so I can put a stock hood on. Maybe I'll try and slide the t-56 in this weekend and see what kind of tunnel work will needs to be done. 

6/02/2017 8:31 AM  #17

That is a big engine.

I'd love to see your car, after you complete it, sitting beside a mustang with the same shock tower delete you've done; except, have the second car powered by the I6 200 cu in with a 3 speed.  I've always thought the I6 left lots of room under the hood even with the shock towers.  I can hardly imagine what a Mustang with the shock tower delete would look like with the I6.    The contrast between the 2 Mustangs would really show how much engine you have in there.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

6/19/2017 6:29 PM  #18

Looks awesome..
Keep the pics coming!

6/19/2017 10:21 PM  #19

Thanks, it's a tight fit. Installed the headers and those took up any room left, trans tunnel will have to be enlarged to fit the t56. Hood fits fine if I don't use the plastic cover. Coverless it is. 

6/20/2017 5:26 AM  #20

My son and I are doing a similar set up. Check out the post : father/son for pics...good luck
with the rest of your build, I'll be watching.

7/02/2017 4:37 AM  #21

How much did you have to enlarge the trans tunnel as I am in the process of replacing the floor
pans now and could save on cutting and welding one seam?

7/02/2017 11:33 PM  #22

Currently working on replacing the driver quarter and wheelhousing. Haven't messed with trans yet, but from some preliminary measuring looks like it will be quite a bit. On a side note, dynacorn radiator support, and full wheelhousing are awesome parts, they look and fit just like factory. I wish I could say the same for their quarter panel, it's junk and doesn't even come close to fitting well.

11/05/2017 5:10 AM  #23

Are you going with manual or power steering with your Coyote...I am told
it's a big deal because of fitment and belt and pulley issues.
Does anyone have any info on the subject?

11/05/2017 12:32 PM  #24

Went with power rack, if you use TCI kit (or most others for that matter), and plan on having ac, then you will need to order this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-174020

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.