FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2017 4:43 AM  #1

Parts washer

Has anyone used simple green in their parts washer?

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

11/02/2017 9:54 AM  #2

Re: Parts washer

I used Simple Green...it got the stuff clean but it sure isn't as good as safety solvent or K2.  It will discolor aluminum if left to soak too long.  I finally got rid of my parts-washer and went back to my old drain pan and solvent for the few parts I need to scrub.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/02/2017 1:16 PM  #3

red351 wrote:

Never tried it, just kerosene. I hear one to stay away from is purple power. Its too hard on aluminum and finished coatings. Been thinking about trying the yellow stuff from the dollar stores now that winter is here and I can dispose the old kero in the garage stove.

DEFINITELY stay away from the Purple Power! I picked some up from Home Depot to degrease some large parts and accidentally got it on my ankle. Ow ow ow ow

11/02/2017 2:01 PM  #4

I have used Simple Green, Dawn, and 409. I too have heard the horror stories about Purple Power (thankfully without the chemical burn lesson). Ultimately I was dissatisfied with the “soaps” and went back to the five gallon cans of low vapor pressure solvent from Tractor Supply. It evaporates much slower than kerosine. The Tractor Supply solvent will remove the paint from a HF parts washer.

11/03/2017 6:40 AM  #5

I still use "Varsol"  a type of mineral spirit sold here in Canada. For me the environmentally friendly stuff just does not  cut the grease.l

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/03/2017 4:33 PM  #6

Has anyone ever tried using a kitchen dishwasher with some of that super cleaner stuff in it?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/03/2017 9:03 PM  #7

Al  this one for you

11/04/2017 10:43 AM  #8

I've got two parts washers, one in my home shop and one in the shop across town. Both are in buildings that I do not heat 24 - 7. So they get the stuff Hornman mentioned from TSC. I have tried all the stuff mentioned that is soluable in water, but have not found it to be acceptable mostly because of time it takes and difficulty in getting the part dry. My favorite parts washed is one I made by slicing a 55 gallon drum in half longwise. I am using a 5 gallon metal bucket under it as a sump and a power steering pump from a mid 70s Ford heavy duty truck to move the fluid. The pump is an Eaton Geroller design that has proven to be excellent. (I worked at the Hydraulics division of Eaton at their Proving Grounds at the time). I have a full flow filter in the circuit so the fluid is always devoid of particles. It is great for flushing out coolers and engine blocks because it is a positive deplacement pump and will put out plenty of pressure. I am thinking of converting my other one to the steering pump design.

11/05/2017 1:25 PM  #9

The environmentally friendly stuff sucks.  I hate to say that, but its 100% true.  It just won't break down stubborn grease, and even heavy oil like gear oil it struggles to thin out. 

The last time I refilled mine I was able to get some of the old stuff, and it works pretty well, but its mostly used up.  I think when I finally change it I'm just going to go to either Kero or Diesel.  Both work great, and we degreased stuff in 5 gallon buckets using them for years.  Kero is probably easier to clean off afterwards because its a drier fuel than Diesel.

Its like everything though.  The new Brake Kleen sucks too.  Though I've found 2+2 carb cleaner still works pretty well. 

11/05/2017 4:27 PM  #10

As said earlier Simple Green (emulsifier) and the similar products dulls' the paint pretty good if you let it sit. I've found what works best for me on cars and airplane engines ( when installed) is to first pressure spray it down with mineral spirits then pressure spray it with the emulsifier (Simple Green) right away then hose it off with a lot of water right away. Simple Green (and their competitors) is really caustic to me when pressure spraying it but petrolium solvents don't clean off the dirt just the oils. The Simple Green is the emulsifier that  breaks down the solvent and removes the dirt. When cleaning parts in a parts cleaner I do it the same way and if I need to I use carb cleaner first then solvent then the simple green then water but there still might be scrubbing involved. Some times if it it bad enough I have had to use aircraft paint stripper or oven cleaner. All these products except oven cleaner are available at the car parts stores.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/06/2017 2:20 PM  #11

Back in the day when I was racing go karts I used a lot of Nitro mixed in the fuel. If you left any in the engine after a race, most aluminum parts were useless by the next week end. So I always completely tore down the motor after every race and rinsed it in mineral spirits then put all the parts in my Mom's dishwasher for a cycle with Cascade. Got rid of all the Nitro and made everything sparkle.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.