FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2017 2:59 PM  #1

Build Suggestions / Opinions

Hi All,
I've been dark for a couple of years here; I got a little overwhelmed with my '65 fastback project and covered it up for a while but the wife said build it or sell it.  So, I decided not to let the car beat me,. and I'm hoping to get some "professional" opinions.  What I'm looking to end up with is a streetable, comfortable car that will get decent MPG but still have a little giddy-up.
I do not have an engine and will be looking for dressed, 300 - 400 crate motor for under $6000.   I do have a top loader trans for now, but will probably go for an AOD at some point..  Front suspension, R&P and brakes are done and I'm ready to move to the rear.  With the engine/trans I mentioned above what's a good gear ratio.  The car now has stock 8" / 2.80. I'll be keeping the 8" setup and I'm look to swap the third member.  Found this setup http://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-8-Complete-Center-Section-Third-Member_p_39.html , but not sure what gears to go. 3.25?.3.40? Is there any reason not to go with Trac Loc? Thanks for any input.

11/06/2017 3:53 PM  #2

Re: Build Suggestions / Opinions

I'd find out if the traction lock is a three or four pinion design.  The three pinions are kind of weak.  Granted on street tires the tires are the fuse (you'll break traction before shock loading the rear enough to break it), though if you ever hammer it into 3rd there is risk because you'll have traction at that point and something might go boom. 

If you already have a Toploader I'd swap the car to a T5.  You get a good overdrive ratio and keep it a stick.  The AOD has never been one of my favorite trannys.  Not a fan of autos in cars in general, but to each his own.

You need to match the rear gear to the trans.  For a non OD trans I would not go beyond a 3.25 or you won't be able to drive the car on the interstate without zinging the engine to 3,500RPM or more.  3.80s are a good match for an OD trans.  3.40s are also good, but you'll leave some acceleration on the table with only a tiny reduction in cruising RPM.

11/06/2017 4:39 PM  #3

Sounds like exactly what happened to me and my 65 2+2. Wife said sell it or fix it.
331 or 340 Roller 5.0 based engine. Buy a short block and assemble the rest with your choice of heads & cam
Learn the difference between an AOD and a 4R70W, Choose the 4R70W Got one in my 2+2 and another in the 73 Vert.
Yes Trac-Loc for sure. If your going to be an interstate cruiser, 3.25, while 3.40 or 3.55 great all around gears, 3.80+ have more scoot.
Install toe boxes on both side of the chassis. There might be one on the left, butt deff ain't on the right side.
And Puleze don't paint the dang thing RED!!

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

11/06/2017 9:55 PM  #4

It's no fun having something stuck on the floor and for that reason I do not embark on more then one project at a time.It must be running other wise. I do not have a lot of extra cash either, So my projects are short and to the point. My car looks like a POS. My engine is a used GT40P I sold a set of Gt40P heads for $525 to buy a whole GT40P with engine, trans and all the EFI stuff for $450. Sold the stuff I didn't want for $175, Bought a used 91 Mustang 5.0 cam for $60, used Wieand Stealth for $80, used crane Cobra 1.72 rocker arms f0r $115, used Elelbrock 600 for $125. I have spent money on my suspension, full Street or Track tubular. It's a wide ratio Toploader 4 speed with a 2.80 axle. The car is dead nuts reliable, I don't worrk about paring lot dings or road rash. A couple weeks ago I drove 100 miles to Watkins Glen to do some auto crossing and drove home 100 miles after thrashing the car all day. and got about 20 MPG. I'd say my motor makes a little over 250 hp

This was last April at openind day of watkins Glen charity run. 3 paced laps that were suppose to be 55 MPH. My two friends behind me in their 66's said we were doing 90 mph at times, Did i have fun? You betcha!

Last edited by Huskinhano (11/06/2017 10:07 PM)

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

11/07/2017 12:06 AM  #5

Well said Tom.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/07/2017 4:50 AM  #6

Hello mark , i m very a newbye in this world and this is my first resto of mustang 66 fastback .
i have not a lot to put on the table but i would like to share with you my experience with grip pro lsd that i put inside rear axle . i got t5 trans now .
The grip pro lsd i made ( as they refers ) for 8 and 9 inch ford diff . 
this is not totally real because i got to grind a lot the case inside all around the bearing and i believe this is not the right way to fix the problem. But there is no solution, 

without this work you loose the possibility to move ( the crown )  left or right to make a decent backleash.
Now i am far to finish the car and try this lsd diff  and see if was a good choice or not . 
for gears i follow tips here and i put a 3,89  ... i will see what happens 

For engine i cant say nothing but you have plenty of choice and if i were you i will put a 331 stroker

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.