FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2017 4:49 PM  #1

brake light switch question for you to ponder

I bought this power brake kit for my 1963 ford galaxie
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Racing-Power-Brake-Conversion-Kit-SUM-760199/391733581612?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

This kit came with the standard generic Corvette style 1" bore master cylinder.   Not a big fan of but...anyway, it has the fittings on both sides.  Obviously, one side gets capped, and the other to the proportioning valve.   Here is what popped into my mind this morning.  Instead of running an inline T fitting with 2 flares and the pipe thread for the brake light switch,  what if I were to use this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Motors-Male-1-2-Inverted-Flare-to-1-8-NPT-Female-Brake-Line-Fitting/381323842527?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Put this directly into one of the rear ports on the master, and gives the ability to run the brake light switch directly off the unused port.  

I also should mention I am using a 70's Ford style proportioning valve, and switching the front brakes to 1969 Ford LTD disc brakes.  Keeping the drums in the rear.    

I like this idea better than plumbing the brake light switch between the master and the new proportioning valve.  Instead of this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-In-24-IFF-Each-End-1-8-In-NPT-Female-Center-Brass-Adapter-Tee-/131553302173?_trksid=p5731.m3795

Any thoughts?  Comments?  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/08/2017 6:35 PM  #2

Re: brake light switch question for you to ponder

That would work just fine, using one of the extra ports on the generic master cylinder.  Just be sure to use the one that goes to the FRONT brakes so you get a quicker signal.  Now, GM sometimes reverses the tubes from what Ford does (FT tube to rear brakes / R tube to front brakes) so be sure to research that MC to see which tube is supposed to go to the front brakes.  I am sure a quick call to Summit will get you the answer you need.  Good luck!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/08/2017 7:34 PM  #3

That was a good response:  I called Summit and this was the response.  He did not know what the part # for the master cyl was, it was not listed. ( I concur that there is nothing listed nor any directions in the kit)   Then he said he thought it was most likely the 67 Chevelle, Camaro, Nova master, as that is the most common.  He further said, look at the bowls, the larger bowl will go to the front brakes, and if they are equal size, then the front to the front, and rear to rear.  

I have been thinking this over, and it seems maybe the best, slickest way to do this is to use the adjustable proportioning valve with brake light switch.   I think that might be even cleaner.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/10/2017 5:46 PM  #4

I called the Summit tech line again to double check.  Got an older sounding tech this time.   He referred to it as a "generic GM master"  still no part #  but assured me that it goes front to front, and rear to rear.   So I guess that is the way I will plumb it.   I bought one of those adjustable proportioning valves today, and will wait for it to decide on which side ports I am going to use.   

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.