FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/19/2017 7:58 PM  #1

Borgeson Power Steering Installation On A 67 coupe - Video

Not by any means some kind of instructional or how to video, but it at least shows me and buddy and what we did yesterday at my place replacing his old manual steering with a Borgeson kit and a homemade firewall bracket. Everything went smooth except for that we had to go to the parts store 3 times before we had the right lenght v-belt. Would also recommend to read the instruction regarding what goes where on the steering box valve body BEFORE installing it as the cast in arrows becomes very hard to see without the help of a flashlight and mirrior like we had to use to figure out what hose should go where.. We didn't tuoch any aligments and except for a slight "not going back to center" feeling it all worked well. Owner called me today and reported that the car behaved very well on the 1.5 hour trip back to his place last night.

7/22/2017 12:30 AM  #2

Re: Borgeson Power Steering Installation On A 67 coupe - Video

Too bad your friend didn't have a 68. It is a MUCH easier installation than having to deal with the column. Two things - you need a 3/8" 12 point crowsfoot tubing wrench to install the hydraulic lines and wasn't it fun trying to get the return line on the nipple on the pump? (Saginaw pump). I also had to fab up my own spacers for the pump installation so that the pulleys would line up. It is a good installation, and I am very happy with the results and the steering characteristics. Great video, as usual.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/22/2017 12:33 AM  #3

I also see the Phoenix project still not done..... will it ever hit the road again?? You need to stop working on other people's cars, and get 'er done!

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/25/2017 2:22 PM  #4

Ron68 wrote:

I also see the Phoenix project still not done..... will it ever hit the road again?? You need to stop working on other people's cars, and get 'er done!

Yes, I know. Been working on a IT-project a little bit too much the last year. Finally done now and can hopefully get back on the '67 again. At least picked up a new tank of gas for my MIG today and I have some ideas about the front bumper. It's an old Nordan bumper that I sanded the chrome off anyway and I'm not really satisfied with the fit of it...

11/11/2017 9:16 PM  #5

Just a small follow up on this swap. The owner is very happy with how it all turned out, but the homemade firewall bracket we used at the time of the swap didn't really came out 100% so I've made him a new one where the steering column angle doesn't matter as I made a pivot there. Here's how it looks and feel free to copy it in case you're installing a Borgeson kit, it takes just a couple of hours to make one using the required material, a power drill, drill bits, a hole saw,an angle grinder and a MIG welder.

Last edited by Hakan (11/11/2017 9:24 PM)

11/12/2017 9:47 AM  #6

As usual...primo work from the Master.  Thanks Hakan.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/12/2017 11:52 AM  #7

That bracket is over the top!

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

11/13/2017 9:59 AM  #8

Bullet Bob wrote:

As usual...primo work from the Master.  Thanks Hakan.
BB

almcgee wrote:

That bracket is over the top!

Thanks! 

11/13/2017 10:00 AM  #9

For some reason It's great fun to watch Hakan work.
Love it!!

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

11/14/2017 8:55 AM  #10

red351 wrote:

Gees     I always thought you guys were always standing in snow up to your knees. but anyways I'm glad you took the time for this vid. I'm guessing the old car hobby there is very active.

No, the climate where I live is not that bad all the time and the old car hobby is very active and growing. We had the first snow for this season today though:

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.