FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2017 6:27 PM  #1

Those of you who are running newer transmissions

are you running a secondary cooler or just thru the one on the radiator?

When I bought my AOD it came with a simple finned cooler, I installed it in front of the radiator and ran the fluid thru both.  Since I have install a/c I removed the trans cooler and now theres not much room to mount it in front of the a/c condensor and still get the lines to it.

If you are running a secondary cooler where is it mounted???  Pictures would be great help

11/18/2017 9:49 AM  #2

Re: Those of you who are running newer transmissions

And a second opinion:  I have an AOD with a 2800 stall TC.  I have the two row, 20" aluminum rad and no secondary trans cooler.  So far (25k miles) it seems to be okay.  No strange behavior, no weird smells, no dark fluid on the stick.  It's been in parades, long highway trips, ambient temps well over 100 and well below 50.  But, it's not handling 400 HP and lots of hard use.  It does pull the Heap over an 11,000 foot pass from time to time but the Heap is a thousand pounds lighter than the Town Car it came out of which also had no separate trans cooler.

So...there ya go.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/18/2017 1:26 PM  #3

While many vehicles with an automatic don't have an aux transmission cooler, all automatics (whether completely stock or whether performance built) should have one.  Without one, it helps keep the dealership service departments and the transmission rebuilders in business with customers bringing in their vehicles to get the transmission rebuilt sooner than it could have, if it had run an aux cooler all along. Heat is the killer of automatic transmissions.

While a '69 F100 is different from an early Mustang, I have a factory plate style trans cooler from a '92 F150 plumbed in series, with the cooler in the radiator, in the return line going back to the C-4 in my truck. The cooler was $10.00 bucks from the wrecking yard.

Plate type oil coolers are more efficient than fin type.

If you had to mount the cooler parallel to the chassis or parallel to the ground and mount a fan to the cooler to blow through it, it would be better to figure out a way to retain the cooler than to remove it altogether.  Short of mounting a fan to it, you could fabricate a housing/shroud with an air scoop on it to channel air through the cooler.

11/18/2017 1:45 PM  #4

This is how my AOD is hooked up. Disregard the old rad and fan, those are gone. It is a two pass horazontal.
 I bipassed the trans cooler in the new aluminum rad and this is what works for me
https://imgur.com/a/9YZUX
https://imgur.com/58XhV0u

Last edited by Rudi (11/18/2017 1:47 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/18/2017 10:13 PM  #5

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yY1VbuGoA&t=86sNot sure if YOU need an external cooler butt-'em purty shore this dude has one (or TWO) AT coolerz!!Enjoy-the-ride6sal6]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yY1VbuGoA&t=86s

Not sure if YOU need an external cooler butt-'em purty shore this dude has one (or TWO) AT coolerz!!
Enjoy-the-ride
6sal6[/url]

Last edited by 6sally6 (11/18/2017 10:14 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/20/2017 6:06 AM  #6

Ideally you'd have a trans fluid temp gauge.  The determining factor in whether or not you need an auxiliary cooler is whether or not the trans ever gets hot.  Ideally you want the fluid in the 180 degree range at most.  Newer vehicles have sensors from the factory, and even if they don't have a gauge you can read the temp via a scan tool. 

Its rare for a car to need a cooler, but red351's comment about stall speed is well taken.  If your cruise RPM is lower than the converter's stall speed you really should have a cooler if you go on long cruises.  In such a situation there is more slip in the system than there should be, and that equals heat. 

11/20/2017 6:48 AM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

If your cruise RPM is lower than the converter's stall speed you really should have a cooler if you go on long cruises.  In such a situation there is more slip in the system than there should be, and that equals heat. 

Butt...the original question was regarding an AOD which should be locked up at cruise speed and slippage should not be an issue.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/21/2017 8:08 AM  #8

IF, he goes with a lockup converter.  I certainly would, and its a point worth making.  Lockup converters always command a peremium and its tempting to ditch the lockup to save cost on an aftermarket converter.  Also, if your cruise RPM will be higher than the stall speed there's effectively no reason to run a lockup.  I don't run one in my K5 Blazer because my highway cruise RPM is higher than the stall speed of my converter.  This saved cost on the converter and eliminated a potential failure point.  That's also a fairly radical truck I've built (450HP N/A, 600HP on spray, big tires, 4.88 gears, but I built and kept my 700R4). 

Stock converters will all be lockup BTW, so if you're just reusing what the trans comes with its a non issue. 

11/22/2017 12:47 AM  #9

I have a three row custom built radiator that I run with my 351W and it also cools the 4R70W. I have power steering, but no A/C and I don't often drive in 100 deg. temps, but I've experienced no problems due to heat with the transmission. I recently replaced the deep sump pan I was running (clearance issues) with a stock AOD pan, and still no heat problems.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/22/2017 8:38 AM  #10

Not surprising.  Most heat related transmission issues are from moving heavy loads, which a car just doesn't do.  Vehicles used to tow and plow are the ones that need to be careful.  Years ago you had to add coolers to trucks, but now it seems they all have them stock.  I've never seen the temp in my '06 F250 get above 160 no matter what I'm doing. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.