FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2017 5:45 PM  #1

New seats.

Decided to put new seats in my 67 coupe, Found a pair of 91 sport buckets. Found an industrial sewing machine on a garage sale so I decided to upholster them myself to match the interior. Gotta say, I have worked with metal and wood, but this medium is very humbling. I practiced a lot and read a ton of info on the internet. Here is my first shot at the bottoms, just started to do the uppers.

Hopefully this link works. Tiny pic would not load to the message.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

12/29/2017 6:02 PM  #2

Re: New seats.

Great work.  Driver's side seats from those years are prone to break and lean on the right side.  The frames are not tubular (you've seen that) and the stamped frames are not as strong.  Even after rewelding mine never felt solid again. I hope yours are in good shape.  Let us know how the rest turns out. Again, great work!

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

12/29/2017 6:02 PM  #3

Practice really paid off  for you
Looks super

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/29/2017 6:10 PM  #4

I haven't attached the upholstery permanently yet, need to attached the frames from the original seats yet. Had a few mistakes when sewing these, but luckily they all were in places that are hidden on the bottom and covered up by the upper. I will have to check out the right side. I did notice it leaned out a little.

12/30/2017 8:05 PM  #5

Very nice, Alan.  Good for you.  Just one more job that a person can learn to do and get a lot of satisfaction from.   Those tiny wrinkles in the bolsters should pull out nicely when you do the hog-ring stretch.  Did you buy new foam?  That makes a world of difference too.  Also, I added a couple of springs and wires to the lower cushion on mine.  Made the bottoms just a bit more solid and less like sitting in a hole.

I've done two cars by using the original upholstery for patterns and it gets easier.  A plastic dry-cleaner bag on the back rest will make installing that much easier.  Also turn the back rest cover inside-out to install it.  Between the plastic bag and working the cover down from inside-out makes the job pretty easy.  And...an added layer of 1/2" foam will help tighten up the bottom cushion.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/31/2017 6:34 AM  #6

I did buy new foam for the drivers seat. The passenger side was in good shape yet. I used 1/4 and 1/2" sew foam on the back side of all the pieces. I have not put the new foam on yet, waiting till I put the tracks on and get everything ready for the final fit.
I am kind of a glutton for punishment, try to do everything myself. Makes all my projects slow, learning everything new, but I do get a lot of satisfaction knowing I did it myself.

12/31/2017 10:02 AM  #7

I thought I accomplished a lot when I installed my TMI upholstery kit. Those seats are looking good! I can't wait to see it completed.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

12/31/2017 10:47 AM  #8

DIY IS a great accomplishment.  Congratulations.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.