FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2017 9:04 AM  #1

Old School Warning for Everyone

Yes this does happen:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Tarrant-County-Man-Dies-After-Tire-He-Was-Inflating-Explodes-466703413.html

​Back when I was a young whipper snapper I had an old timer tell me never stand in front of a tire when inflating it.  Always heard this could happen but never actually knew of it happening.

​Poor bastard was young too.

12/29/2017 9:27 AM  #2

Re: Old School Warning for Everyone

The side walls on transport truck have about 34 tons of force contained in them, don't know what car tires have.
 At my former work place all tires had to be inflated in a containment cage to prevent the guys from being injured.
  In those  two piece rims, if installed properly could decapitate a person, I have seen a lift truck rim and tire come apart in a cage, it gets your attention!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/29/2017 10:10 AM  #3

As a young mechanics apprentice in the late 1960's, I worked in a garage across the street from a large commercial truck tire shop.  I saw the aftermath of a split rim explosion.  One of the seasoned tire changers was filling the rim from the back side, supposedly to prevent being hit if the rim lip came loose.  Remember those long tire air inflator tools with an air chuck on both sides?
I guess he never heard of Issac Newton.
The rim split loose and the big part tore off his right arm and most of his rib cage was crushed.  He lasted a couple of days and never lost consciousness.  He was wide awake when the ambulance took him away.
The very next week, someone was changing coil springs on a truck without a spring compressor and it tore him in half.  He didnt survive.  The cinderblock wall on one end of the shop was holed about 8' across.

12/29/2017 10:39 PM  #4

Related:
I purchased a tire pressure gauge from OReilly a few years ago. I used it when my truck’s tires needed to be checked. My goal was 35 psi in the tire.
After adding air for a good while, checking repeatedly as I added air, the gauge never went over 32 psi.

Luckily, common sense prevailed.

I went and got another gauge from my toolbox (20 years old, MADE IN USA) and used it to double check the pressure.  It read nearly 60 psi.  I could have gotten killed because of that stupid gauge.

Be sure your gauges are calibrated occasionally.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/29/2017 11:19 PM  #5

I worked in a tire shop for a summer, we had one guy "Split rim Ernie" that would do those, I would go inside the building until he was done. Even with cages those things are crazy.

12/30/2017 8:50 AM  #6

I worked at a shop for a few years and we had one guy who got both arms broken when a tire exploded, but thankfully no permanent injuries.

12/30/2017 12:22 PM  #7

I ran over and helped a Camaro owner whose sidewall exploded at 7-11 in McKinney. Serious eye trouble from exploding air coming thru sidewall 16” away. It was summertime and tire was worn out. EMTs administered an extensive eyewash. Family member came to take him home.

Last edited by Prof (12/30/2017 12:23 PM)

12/31/2017 8:00 PM  #8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yetRfQ5ZvQ

"Quick...........somebody hold my beer...I'll show ya'll sump'in"

Good-old-boy method of  seat'in a tar!
Got his kid standing there learn'in how to be stupid from his "Dad"!!!!!!
Priceless!!
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (12/31/2017 8:02 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/02/2018 6:39 PM  #9

When we service tires that have just been installed on the two part wheels, we put them in a cage to inflate them. 210 psi is a lot of pressure. I was told of a story by an old timer who was there when some guys were filling a 727 tire at Boeing. The left the tire filling at a slow rate and went to break. When they came back, one guy went to remove the fill line. The wheel failed and came apart severing both his legs above the knee. He bled out before help could arrive. You remember lessons like that.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.