FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2017 9:35 PM  #1

Coil for the Duraspark

Ok, I'm gathering up parts for my Duraspark ignition system. I wasn't happy with the way the Mustang ran to and from the bash. With all the pre bash troubles that I had I rushed out and bought a Pertronix II module and stuck it in real quick and took off. I hooked it up to a Mallory 50,000 volt coil that was already installed as suggested by a friend of mine. Looking at the specs for the Duraspark system the recommended coil is 40,000 volts. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to using the Mallory coil with the Duraspark?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/01/2018 10:02 PM  #2

Re: Coil for the Duraspark

I have all the parts neede to install the Duraspark system.... Maybe.... I got a used distributor but it is corroded and difficult to take apart so I can clean and lube it. So I've been looking at maybe getting a new one in case I ruin it from Summitt Racing but there are too many choices. Such as dual or single vacuum advance, computer controlled or mechanical, modified or not. The engine is not running to it's potential. It has a constant intermittant miss and pings terrible when it is warmed up.          BTW, The coil is getting 12 volts to it.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/01/2018 11:33 PM  #3

A cheap duraspark. $12.95!!
https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/distributor/cardone-reman-distributor/121442_276700_0_3498?CJPID=3515661&cmpid=cj
Wire it up as per MS's diagram and keep the coil you have
https://www.mustangsteve.com/conversion.html/

Last edited by 50vert (1/02/2018 10:06 AM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/02/2018 9:59 AM  #4

"intermittent miss and pinging" prolly won't be solved with coil/distrib swap....completely.
Replace those wires.....modify distrib with lighter advance springs and LIMIT the total advance to 36*@ 2000 RPM.
You will need a timing tape too. AND premium fuel.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/02/2018 12:04 PM  #5

Pinging and missing is the module, not the coil.  We used to run a 50k volt Scremin' Demon coil on everything, but it didn't help with spark breakup above 3,500 RPM on a modified engine.  A module swap to something with some more dwell built in like a Holley, etc. 100% fixed that issue.  Now I will say that the aftermarket coil will better handle the increased dwell, etc.  But in fairness I can't remember ever seeing a stock coil fail under any conditions either. 

1/12/2018 9:02 PM  #6

I got the the Duraspark system installed and running. I had originally bought a used distributor off e-bay but it was corroded and I couldn't get it apart to clean it up and lube it up. So I bought a new one. I tried to get the Cardone unit but they aren't available any more so I ended up with a Spectrum. But what a difference in the way it runs now. WOW. It idles a lot smoother. The miss that it had is gone. It still pings but just for a second when flooring it before it down shifts. I was also able to move the timing from 6º ATDC to 6º BTDC. That's the factory spec before I did the vanilla job (he, he). I'll mess with recurving it later as I don't know what the compression ratio is and guess it will be a trial and error process. I need to get educated on what I am looking for and how to go about it.

1/12/2018 10:32 PM  #7

Good update. I have the same distributor on the engine I rebuilt.  I haven't started it yet but hope to do so next week.  Keep those updates coming.....

1/15/2018 4:29 PM  #8

I gotta say... you're safer running the pink wire.  You risk burning up the module using 12v straight to the coil.  Of course, the bashes aren't as fun without a breakdown or two.    

jerry

1/15/2018 6:10 PM  #9

I don't think the 70 has a pink wire but I ran the original wire anyway. It had battery voltage. I bought the Painless wire conversion kit and the wiring instructions are the same as MS's except Painless includes a new brown wire. They too are wire the same so I used the OEM wore and coiled up the other on just incase.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.