FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2018 8:55 PM  #1

A few pix of "Project Bird of Pray"

I'm helping some friends do a little work on their '64 Falcon Futura Convertible.  We are installing a very plain vanilla EFI 5.0, T5, 08 Mustang GT front binders on MS brackets, MS power booster mod and cable clutch and a Vintage Air Gen IV system.  Also new custom firewall forward wiring with a power distribution box and a new accessory fuse panel under the dash.  This is a two-owner car that was born with the 260, 4-speed and a 3.25 8".

​I offered a complete 5.0 HO single serpentine front dress but my friend is determined to squeeze in the accessory drive that came on the Explorer donor engine.  I also discovered that the danged Falcon has a lot less engine room than the 65 Mustang in the area between the firewall and the shock towers and  between the shock towers.  

​With the Explorer front dress the AC comp gets really close to the left tower...but with a little friendly percussion I think it will be okay.  Note we also installed a 20" aluminum radiator.

The MS booster and Mustang V6 MC fit fine with just a bit of work on the back of the tower.  The cable clutch is duck soup with no hammer work needed on the cowl for clutch sector clearance.

​While the Hi-Po manifolds clear the towers in a Mustang just fine, they won't work in the Falcon without a little grinding and hamper work on the towers.  I can't imagine what would be involved in putting headers in one of these cars.

​I'll post a few more pix as the project moves along.  And yes, considering how things are going I really meant PRAY.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (1/14/2018 9:06 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/14/2018 10:06 PM  #2

Re: A few pix of "Project Bird of Pray"

I've seen this car, and it was a nice one before any mods. Now that BB is involved .... its only getting better.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/14/2018 10:09 PM  #3

Vanilla, the new go to word!

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/15/2018 5:22 AM  #4

Please make sure to send me my royalty every time its used.  We can just use the honor system, I trust you guys.

1/15/2018 7:40 AM  #5

rpm wrote:

Vanilla, the new go to word!

That along with “lackluster” lol

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/15/2018 7:40 AM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

Please make sure to send me my royalty every time its used.  We can just use the honor system, I trust you guys.

Too funny, TKO.  Maybe we could set up something to keep track, like garage points.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/15/2018 10:00 AM  #7

Good job bullet Bob.  Look forward to another clean install.

1/15/2018 11:58 AM  #8

Looks good BB....it'll be nice to fire that engine up soon.  
Not to hijack your post but, I started mine for the first time since rebuild today......I updated my Project Deadhorse thread with details....

1/15/2018 1:25 PM  #9

josh-kebob wrote:

Looks good BB....it'll be nice to fire that engine up soon.  
Not to hijack your post but, I started mine for the first time since rebuild today......I updated my Project Deadhorse thread with details....

Glad to hear that you got it fired up...I think.  Will go check the details right now.

BB

1/15/2018 7:15 PM  #10

Headers CAN indeed be installed on a 64 "Foul-coon"! The passenger side does require a hole being blown into the  shock tower.(small hole....butt-a-hole none the less!)
Prolly one of the first  hot-rod-work-projects I worked on.
Me...a buddy...and his dad who owned a garage and was a mechanic his hole life.
I always thought Earnest coined the phrase..."if headers was a good idea....FoMoCo would have put them on ALL their cars. This  is just something else to tear up"!   Yet he stayed there with us until near midnight putting headers on my Falcon!!
Up until recently....I thought you were SUPPOSE to wash your arms and hands in gasoline?!
 His old Winston cigarettes ALWAYS had a big black greasy smear on them..........even when he was "out-and-about"!!
Thanx Earnest
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/15/2018 8:11 PM  #11

Looks really good BB!  I wish you didn't live so far away.

1/15/2018 8:37 PM  #12

Ozblitz wrote:

Looks really good BB! I wish you didn't live so far away.

Oh really, was you and your friends Jim and Jack planning to visit?  Really isn't that far, I've been to Texas three times and you've only been to Montrose once.  But I'm real glad you made it, Oscar.  And, for what it's worth, I wish you didn't live so far away either.  You and a whole bunch of other people I've met through this forum.

BB

1/16/2018 9:57 AM  #13

I like this project.   I have always had a soft spot for the Falcons.  I drove a 64 four door in HS, and I owned a 64 2 door post in my younger years.  In fact, I just recently found a picture of it.   I also owned a blue 67 post.  My dad owned a few falcons too.   None of them were primo.  They were just used cars people practically gave away back then.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/16/2018 11:57 AM  #14

Bullet Bob wrote:

Ozblitz wrote:

Looks really good BB! I wish you didn't live so far away.

Oh really, was you and your friends Jim and Jack planning to visit?  Really isn't that far, I've been to Texas three times and you've only been to Montrose once.  But I'm real glad you made it, Oscar.  And, for what it's worth, I wish you didn't live so far away either.  You and a whole bunch of other people I've met through this forum.

BB

Don't forget Johnny.......(keep walk'in)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.