FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2018 10:28 PM  #1

Best choice for a front disc master/booster on a '65 mustang

First post as I just read about MustangSteve's website. 
I am in the process of buying a 1965 Mustang with a 289 and automatic. 
The car is amazingly original but was undergoing a front disc conversion when I bought it this week. 
The discs are on but it's up to me to complete the master, etc. 
I have ordered a master/booster/valve from Speedway but they haven't shipped yet and I'm looking for the collective 
wisdom so as to do it right the first time! 
Thanks in advance for any tips and the knowledge that I sorely lack.

1/21/2018 9:10 AM  #2

Re: Best choice for a front disc master/booster on a '65 mustang

Welcome to the forum. You may want to reconsider the setup from Speedway. I put discs on the front of my 66 and am using the Mustang Steve power conversion. Check it out at mustangsteve.com. As far as I know this setup is the only on can gives you the correct pedal ratio for the proper pedal travel and feel. Go with the parts that MS recommends and you will be happy. He offers it from just the plans to the complete setup, ready to install. I bought the plans, pedal pin and reinforcement plate and did it myself with a booster from the parts store. Had it now for about 12 years, no issues.  

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

1/21/2018 9:44 AM  #3

Welcome to the best , most informative forum for Mustang owners. Like you I was drawn to the forum via Steves web site. I have a 66 coupe, 289 T5 with Steve GT2008 discs on the front. I have also installed his pedal bearings, power booster, brake pedal pin relocated and cable clutch. I'm in the process of installing 2017 GT discs on the rear using the MS brackets. There are dozens of kits out there to convert your car to discs and SOME of them are a good investment. I have no experience with others to compare but I chose the MS products because the allowed me to stick with all Ford parts. Something to consider for replacement parts down the road. the quality of the parts is first class and customer service combined with the answers to all of my questions by forum members are priceless.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

1/21/2018 10:29 AM  #4

Thanks for the responses! This must be the place! 
I am pretty good at fabricating, welding, etc. I understand the pin needs to be welded to the pedal? 
No worries, I just want to get it right the first time. Is it true I need a 9 inch booster? They already had one on the car. 
Maybe the MustangSteve parts will work with that. 
I'm pretty excited about this '65. It appears to only have 35,000 miles on it. Socal car, very little rust, convertible. 

1/21/2018 1:49 PM  #5

I have manual discs on my 66 and have no issues. My master cylinder has a 1" bore but I think one with 15/16" would be just right. Personally I like the feel of both manual brakes and steering. You really get a feel of exactly what the car is doing.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

1/21/2018 4:22 PM  #6

flee wrote:

Thanks for the responses! This must be the place! 
I am pretty good at fabricating, welding, etc. I understand the pin needs to be welded to the pedal? 
No worries, I just want to get it right the first time. Is it true I need a 9 inch booster? They already had one on the car. 
Maybe the MustangSteve parts will work with that. 
I'm pretty excited about this '65. It appears to only have 35,000 miles on it. Socal car, very little rust, convertible. 

Yes you do weld the pin in its new location on the pedal arm. I used a booster from a 89 mustang 4 cyl. and a mc from a 92 Ranger. One thing about Steves products the instructions leave little room for error.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

1/21/2018 4:28 PM  #7

Good to know, thanks. 
Looks like I'll be making some calls in the morning.

1/21/2018 5:21 PM  #8

Huskinhano wrote:

Personally I like the feel of both manual brakes and steering. You really get a feel of exactly what the car is doing.

Yep.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/21/2018 11:11 PM  #9

rpm wrote:

Huskinhano wrote:

Personally I like the feel of both manual brakes and steering. You really get a feel of exactly what the car is doing.

Yep.

X3

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.