FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2018 7:23 PM  #1

Grind Caliper or Wheel Spacer?

Hello all,
I've got a '66 with the 13.2"  2014 GT brakes (and Mustang Steve adapter kit). I've got some 17" steel wheels and today when I mounted them, I found they are touching the caliper. It won't even turn, so touching pretty good.

I know of the two options I mentioned (grind or spacers), but anything else I should be considering? I'd like to keep the wheels/tires, so looking to make them work if at all possible.

Looking forward to hearing from those who might have had this issue themselves. Thanks!

1/21/2018 11:06 PM  #2

Re: Grind Caliper or Wheel Spacer?

I have a few thoughts.  Give us the specs on your wheels.  We need rim width and back spacing.  Also, let us(me) know where you get 17" steel wheels.   Those measurements will give us what we need to make an informed comment.  A photo would help too.

​In general, a 7" rim will need about 4.25" B/S.  an 8" rim will need about 4.75".  That amount is just a starting point.  There is around 1/4th"  plus or minus depending on your ride height and the way your car happened to be assembled.  In '66 disk brake wheels were of a different design than drum brake wheels.  Drum brake wheels did not fit disk brake wheels due to different rim designed

First, find out how much interference there is.  ​Eyeball the inside of the wheels to see if you can see where the wheel hits the caliper.  That will tell you lots about how much interference there is and where.  You also might try some modelling clay on the caliper then mounting the wheel to tell you exactly where it is happening.  That is real old school.

​Also, measure the distance from the fender rim to the straight-ahead tire.  You need about a half inch clearance for the tire to turn properly without rubbing.  That will tell you how big a spacer you can use.  You should not need much of one.  Steel is the best for thin spacers.

The caliper would be the only place to do any grinding.  Never grind the rim of a steel wheel.  You do not want to weaken them.  But a 1/16th-1/8th spacer could be used.

​Here is a shot of my front tire.  With a rolled fender lip I still rub the tire o hard right turns.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (1/21/2018 11:16 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/22/2018 10:40 AM  #3

hi , look at my post  " new oem calipers wont fit "  page 2  . more or less is the same problem i got last week.

I need a 1/4 spacer and new studs and nut for all the wheels but i choose to refurbish the old calipers to avoid the job related to have longer studs .
with 1/4 spacers i had few threads to lock the wheel so i considered it unsafe and go for old calipers without spacers
i dont know which are the caliper you have but mine kh were not possible grind because the touching side was the " rib "  on the caliper . This rib is the oil passage from upper to down piston .
i have not enough experience to suggest to grind , but i will not .
hope it helps
fastback 66 styled steel wheels bralke / drum

Last edited by Alessandro (1/22/2018 10:42 AM)

1/22/2018 12:43 PM  #4

Thanks for the detailed response.
First, I got the wheels from Summit Racing -
The car is currently up on stands for the brake issues and springs are brand new, so stance and fender clearance are still to be determined.

And to clarify, I was questioning grinding the caliper, not the wheel - that would sound a little crazy, eh?!
It seems like the caliper is hitting on the top more than the front, so I am thinking wheel spacers will not really solve anything. I'm going to use some clay or something as you recommended to find exactly where the contact is.

I'll report back with my findings!

Thanks again.

lowercasesteve wrote:

I have a few thoughts.  Give us the specs on your wheels.  We need rim width and back spacing.  Also, let us(me) know where you get 17" steel wheels.   Those measurements will give us what we need to make an informed comment.  A photo would help too.

​In general, a 7" rim will need about 4.25" B/S.  an 8" rim will need about 4.75".  That amount is just a starting point.  There is around 1/4th"  plus or minus depending on your ride height and the way your car happened to be assembled.  In '66 disk brake wheels were of a different design than drum brake wheels.  Drum brake wheels did not fit disk brake wheels due to different rim designed

First, find out how much interference there is.  ​Eyeball the inside of the wheels to see if you can see where the wheel hits the caliper.  That will tell you lots about how much interference there is and where.  You also might try some modelling clay on the caliper then mounting the wheel to tell you exactly where it is happening.  That is real old school.

​Also, measure the distance from the fender rim to the straight-ahead tire.  You need about a half inch clearance for the tire to turn properly without rubbing.  That will tell you how big a spacer you can use.  You should not need much of one.  Steel is the best for thin spacers.

The caliper would be the only place to do any grinding.  Never grind the rim of a steel wheel.  You do not want to weaken them.  But a 1/16th-1/8th spacer could be used.

​Here is a shot of my front tire.  With a rolled fender lip I still rub the tire o hard right turns.

1/22/2018 12:52 PM  #5

Thanks, Alessandro. I read your thread before I posted mine. Similar issue for sure. Thanks for the info and I hope your luck improves with your project! I've spent a lot of time with "the fix 1 issue, create 2 more" outcome   That's what happens when we veer off of stock parts.

Be well, sir!

1/22/2018 4:51 PM  #6

I "LOVE" a grinder butt..........too much grinding "ain't-a-good-thang"!
Sounds like trial-and-error grinding maybe in order.
"IDEA"!!!!!!!!!!!! why not put some flat washers behind the wheel until you get clearance you need!?
Then measure the thickness of the washers........
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/22/2018 7:51 PM  #7

Tried the spacer idea and actually used lug nuts just a smidge over 1/2" and STILL got light rubbing...
I'm not sure that I can grind enough to clear that kind of issue. I'm in a pickle of a jam here.

6sally6 wrote:

I "LOVE" a grinder butt..........too much grinding "ain't-a-good-thang"!
Sounds like trial-and-error grinding maybe in order.
"IDEA"!!!!!!!!!!!! why not put some flat washers behind the wheel until you get clearance you need!?
Then measure the thickness of the washers........
6sally6

1/22/2018 9:26 PM  #8

Based on previous members posts we know that there are very few wheels that will work with those brakes on that car. Your steel wheels are not on the “Will Work” list. If you space them out so the caliper clears the wheel, the tire will not clear the fender. Do you feel you must have steel wheels, or could you be happy with something like a Torque Thrust M?

1/22/2018 9:38 PM  #9

Did you ever find where on both the caliper and the wheel the rubbing occurs?  We can really use some photos, particularly of any scratches on the wheel (or caliper).

After further thought and some looking at your wheel image, I'm thinking that you are rubbing at that part of the wheel where the rim angles down from 17" to whatever the center section diameter is.  If that is the case you will need even more of a spacer.  Maybe 3/4".  That gets you into the range where you will need longer wheel studs, and tire fender contact becomes an issue.

As Sally says:  Try some more washers and see what happens.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/23/2018 3:21 PM  #10

Thanks for the continued assistance with this puzzle. I took a longer look last night at how far the wheel was from the rotor face (where lugs are) and then where the wheel is hitting the caliper. It's pretty substantial and I don't think I can afford to grind as much as would be needed. It would take probably a 3/4" spacer at least and then 1/8" of caliper material or more to eliminate the rubbing. Then anything more would be creating clearance.

Based on that, I think my best option unfortunately is to find a different brake set-up that allows me to use whatever wheel I want without losing my fender clearance.

Or option B - give up my wheel style preferences and just find a solution. I'd prefer to be able to use more wheel options as I am going to track the car for sure and will use multiple wheel sets.

Thanks to all who weighed in on this. I'll be sleeping on it and will let you guys know what I decide on.

lowercasesteve wrote:

Did you ever find where on both the caliper and the wheel the rubbing occurs?  We can really use some photos, particularly of any scratches on the wheel (or caliper).

After further thought and some looking at your wheel image, I'm thinking that you are rubbing at that part of the wheel where the rim angles down from 17" to whatever the center section diameter is.  If that is the case you will need even more of a spacer.  Maybe 3/4".  That gets you into the range where you will need longer wheel studs, and tire fender contact becomes an issue.

As Sally says:  Try some more washers and see what happens.

1/23/2018 4:23 PM  #11

Quick thought I wanted to toss out there. I am considering the 12.5" GT brakes as a possibility. I'm hoping to have to swap as little as possible and make this work. Is my thinking correct that the 05-10 GT brakes will likely give me more breathing room? Guessing they will sit lower (closer to hub)?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and knowledge, gentlemen.

1/23/2018 5:22 PM  #12

The 12.5" brakes will give you 0.35" more room radially.
You will need the 12.5" rotors and the caliper brackets for the 12.5" calipers. (see your instruction sheet that came with the GT2008-FT bracket set) The calipers themselves will interchange to the new brackets.

There are only a few 17" wheels that will fit the 13.2" brakes.  18" recommended, and that would probably not include any 18" steel wheels.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/26/2018 12:06 PM  #13

So, I bought some used capilers (2007) from a local salvage yard. They could not specify if these were from  GT or not. With a 12.5" rotor, the mount-to-bracket holes to not reach the bracket...

Did I end up with 6cyl brakes or something?

Measurement from the Mounting hole to the bolt that holds the brake shoes on these is as follows:
(Silver) 13.2" caliper - 2.75" center to center
Other caliper - 1.8" center to center
Appreciate any help, guys!

1/27/2018 1:03 PM  #14

The following picture is included with your instructions for the GT2008-FT brackets.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/27/2018 5:20 PM  #15

Thanks, MS. Yep, I looked at that and tried to decipher what I had vs. what I needed, but nobody (parts store, Ford, salvage yard) uses the cast #'s. I know you think none of us can read, but I tried to figure it out on my own-- promise. Might seem easy to you, but it's quite a riddle to someone just diving into all this.

And to be fair, the image of the 6cyl bracket is backwards and does not include casting #'s. 

So, I ended up finding cast # 0055-0 brackets and ordered them this AM. Hoping this solves my fitment issues.

I appreciate your help on this. Not many manufacturers would have given me this much time with their product.

MS wrote:

The following picture is included with your instructions for the GT2008-FT brackets.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.