FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2018 12:10 PM  #1

The 240 Inline 6 Went "Poof" In my '69 F100 Ranger

About a month ago, while on my way home from work, the 240 in my truck puked the #5 piston, punched a big hole in the cylinder bore and a hole out the left side of the block.

I found a 300 L6 short block in the wrecking yard to replace the 240 with. The following link is the saga detailing where I am up to this point of nearly being ready to fire the 300 for the first time.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1528634-the-240-died-a-violent-death-coming-home-from-work-today.html

3/20/2018 5:05 PM  #2

Re: The 240 Inline 6 Went "Poof" In my '69 F100 Ranger

Ultra, I am interested in your story, but when your linktakes me to the truck forum, a very suspicious “award” script takes over the thread. Just for giggles, I tried it three times to see if it would time out, but it persisted. The prize award is obviously a scam that I do not want to participate in. Do you guys have a lot of problems like that on the truck forum?

3/20/2018 6:48 PM  #3

Your link works for me with no issues, very interesting build. Congrats, please post more of the progress here, instead of looking at the other forum.

Last edited by Rudi (3/20/2018 6:49 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/20/2018 7:07 PM  #4

That was a good read and very nice work.

You get a good star for being able to kill a 6 cylinder, I haven’t seen that very often.  And that hole wasn’t that big!!  How long have you been holding onto that “ best pizza on the block” ??

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/20/2018 7:55 PM  #5

Hornman wrote:

Ultra, I am interested in your story, but when your linktakes me to the truck forum, a very suspicious “award” script takes over the thread. Just for giggles, I tried it three times to see if it would time out, but it persisted. The prize award is obviously a scam that I do not want to participate in. Do you guys have a lot of problems like that on the truck forum?

Not sure what browser you use, but Chrome and Firefox have some nice ad blocker plugins. Ad Block is my favorite. A lot of those little banner ads websites run can have some nasty programs in them.

3/20/2018 9:37 PM  #6

Nice work!

3/20/2018 9:56 PM  #7

Looking real nice Ultra!

3/20/2018 10:22 PM  #8

Hornman wrote:

That's never popped up anytime I've ever been on the site.

3/20/2018 10:25 PM  #9

Rudi wrote:

Your link works for me with no issues, very interesting build. Congrats, please post more of the progress here, instead of looking at the other forum.

This forum does not play well with my phone when trying to post pictures here. On FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) posting photos isn't met with complications.

3/20/2018 10:29 PM  #10

Bolted to Floor wrote:

That was a good read and very nice work.

You get a good star for being able to kill a 6 cylinder, I haven’t seen that very often.  And that hole wasn’t that big!!  How long have you been holding onto that “ best pizza on the block” ??

Maybe the 300s are more bulletproof than the 240s. I can stick two fingers through the hole in the left side of the block and I can put my fist in the hole in the cylinder wall.

LOL on the pizza.

3/20/2018 10:30 PM  #11

Chaplin wrote:

Nice work!

Thanks.

3/20/2018 10:32 PM  #12

Ozblitz wrote:

Looking real nice Ultra!

Thanks. A lot of work and time has been put into it over the past several weeks. I'm ready for it to be done just so I can relax for a few days.

3/21/2018 6:18 PM  #13

Wow Steve - nice work. You and Hakan set the bar for Excellence in Automotive Restoration! Hope your rebuild goes better than the 250 I originally installed in my 68. I spun a rod bearing at 600 miles - best thing that could have happened. I pulled it and installed the 351W.....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/22/2018 8:06 AM  #14

Nice work, as always, Ultra!... But weren't you planning to put an EFI 5.0L in this truck?  Wouldn't this have been a perfect time to build that?  No criticism intended...just curious.

3/22/2018 10:30 AM  #15

Michael H. wrote:

Nice work, as always, Ultra!... But weren't you planning to put an EFI 5.0L in this truck?  Wouldn't this have been a perfect time to build that?  No criticism intended...just curious.

You are correct. I can either install a '90 Mustang GT 5.0L engine I have or, fuel inject a 351W I also possess. The problem is, I don't have everything I need to install either of those and the 351W would require even more parts to make that happen --and is likely the one I will eventually put in the truck.

Since I wasn't planning to change engines at this time, the funds weren't currently available to be able to do that. I thought when the time came to take the six cylinder out, it would be to replace it with a fuel injected V-8. I wasn't planning to swap a six cylinder for a six cylinder but, that's just the way things went because the majority of things were there to put a six cylinder back in more quickly and less expensively than trying to swap in a V-8 at this time.

While it isn't exactly what I wanted and when I wanted it to happen, I will be getting roughly a 66 cubic inch bump with the .030"-over 300, compared to the 240 it replaced. The 300 is power house in the torque department and 66 more cubes will definitely be noticed.

3/24/2018 5:29 PM  #16

Ultra... You have GOT to QUIT racing those Corvettes with that truck!

I think that 300 is a great replacement and will make a great truck, just as it is.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/24/2018 7:13 PM  #17

MS wrote:

Ultra... You have GOT to QUIT racing those Corvettes with that truck!

I think that 300 is a great replacement and will make a great truck, just as it is.

Somebody's gotta beat 'em! Ha ha.

After tying up some loose ends on the engine this morning, I fired the new 300 for the first time --even took it for a drive.

--Just realized I had a Mustang Steve Tee shirt on too.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1528634-the-240-died-a-violent-death-coming-home-from-work-today-9.html#post17883794

3/26/2018 7:26 AM  #18

It's looking good Ultra!

3/26/2018 10:13 AM  #19

Michael H. wrote:

It's looking good Ultra!

Thanks, Michael. I'm glad the assembly of the engine and getting it running are finally behind me now. I have to take it this week to get the dual exhaust run. After that, the danger Ranger will be back on the road again.

4/02/2018 7:06 PM  #20

Sunday a week ago, I got the new inline 300 running in my '69 F100 Ranger. The exhaust system was run on it this past Saturday and I picked the truck up from the exhaust shop Saturday afternoon and drove it home.

So far, it runs really smooth and strong --MUCH more low end torque than the old inline 240 that was in my truck. 

I drove it to work this morning for the first time since it went down 6 weeks ago. I had a minor issue but it wasn't with the engine.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1528634-the-240-died-a-violent-death-coming-home-from-work-today-10.html#post17896261

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.