FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2018 7:48 AM  #1

Leak!!

Since installing my Vintage air on my 65,  I have noticed power steering fluid on the floor of my shop.  I looked at it a couple times and I thought it was a hose connection.  I tightened them both a bit and still notice some.  I could see a drip off the bottom of the pump but cannot tell where it was coming from.  Yesterday I had a few minute that I could look at it again.  Best I can tell its coming from the seam.  It's a slow enough leak that you cannot watch a drip develop.  I suppose a new pump is in order!!  GRRRR

4/19/2018 8:53 AM  #2

Re: Leak!!

I've resealed doxens of power steering pumps, its not that hard.  The single biggest culprit is when people pry against the can instead of the pump body near the pulley.  The pry effort frequently distorts the can near the front where the o-ring seal is.  Any distortion cannot or is extremely difficult to straighten.  The o-ring fits around the cast iron pump and the can seals directly around the o-ring.  There is no pressure in the can but hot power steering fluid is thinner than water and can seep out.
The second most common source of leaks is the front seal followed by the pressure outlet nut/pressure regulator fitting.

4/19/2018 9:28 AM  #3

these power steering pump seals do fail either by just sitting there or by being warped under pressure... it just needs a new pump now, or this one rebuilt.

its easy enough to change out.I would flush the system before removing the old pump. easy enough.... without the car running, just move the steering lock to lock. have the return low pressure hose in an oil pan, and just add new power steering fluid form top, and kep turning back and forth.. it will all clean out any metal shavings / debris / old caustic oil in your system giving your new one longer life..

Last edited by Gaba (4/19/2018 9:30 AM)

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

4/19/2018 9:56 AM  #4

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/19/2018 12:14 PM  #5

How many beers does it take for a drip to appear on the floor?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/19/2018 12:51 PM  #6

Mustang Steve that is the perfect question. Maybe it just like to mark its parking spot so it can find it later.

4/19/2018 1:01 PM  #7

Jock itch spray leak detection FTW.LOL

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/19/2018 3:30 PM  #8

Anymore I would elect to reseal/rebuild it myself.  The quality of reman parts has taken a real nosedive in the last 10-15 years.  I've gotten several PS pumps that were bad out of the box, either leaked or made horrific noise.  The pressure in the industry seems to be low cost and therefore not much time is spent inspecting things, they just tear them apart, half @$$ clean them, and slap them back together with new seals.

This prompted me to rebuild all the accessories on my '89 GT project myself.  While waiting for my engine to come back from the machine shop I've been preparing everything that goes with it, including all the front accessories. 

I rebuilt the PS pump when all the ones on which I could find reviews were literally 50/50 good and bad.  Price ranged from $55-$165, yet spending more didn't seem to net any improvement in quality.  The seal kit with bushing was $11.27 from Rock Auto, a new Dorman reservoir was $15, and I splurged $19.99 for a Ford dipstick.  This is a C2 pump.  The rebuild took me about an hour total including the time I spent blasting and painting the housing.  The only real trick is I used my press to compress the Belville spring in it to get it apart.

The alternator was a similar endeavor, costing me $38 for a kit.  I even did the AC compressor, and that cost a grand total of $36.  A reman alternator is $90 for a cheap one, and the compressor is $250.  Nothing terribly hard about any of it.  There are YouTube videos for most of it if you get stuck or want to gauge the difficulty.

4/19/2018 3:51 PM  #9

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/20/2018 6:29 AM  #10

TKOPerformance wrote:

Anymore I would elect to reseal/rebuild it myself.  The quality of reman parts has taken a real nosedive in the last 10-15 years.  I've gotten several PS pumps that were bad out of the box, either leaked or made horrific noise.  The pressure in the industry seems to be low cost and therefore not much time is spent inspecting things, they just tear them apart, half @$$ clean them, and slap them back together with new seals.

This prompted me to rebuild all the accessories on my '89 GT project myself.  While waiting for my engine to come back from the machine shop I've been preparing everything that goes with it, including all the front accessories. 

I rebuilt the PS pump when all the ones on which I could find reviews were literally 50/50 good and bad.  Price ranged from $55-$165, yet spending more didn't seem to net any improvement in quality.  The seal kit with bushing was $11.27 from Rock Auto, a new Dorman reservoir was $15, and I splurged $19.99 for a Ford dipstick.  This is a C2 pump.  The rebuild took me about an hour total including the time I spent blasting and painting the housing.  The only real trick is I used my press to compress the Belville spring in it to get it apart.

The alternator was a similar endeavor, costing me $38 for a kit.  I even did the AC compressor, and that cost a grand total of $36.  A reman alternator is $90 for a cheap one, and the compressor is $250.  Nothing terribly hard about any of it.  There are YouTube videos for most of it if you get stuck or want to gauge the difficulty.

I'm pretty sure this is leaking at the seam not the seal.  looks like to me that the reservoir is made in 2 pieces then crimped together

4/20/2018 10:58 AM  #11

terry wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is leaking at the seam not the seal.  looks like to me that the reservoir is made in 2 pieces then crimped together

RTV that Sucker!...

4/20/2018 3:18 PM  #12

terry wrote:

Since installing my Vintage air on my 65,  I have noticed power steering fluid on the floor of my shop.  I looked at it a couple times and I thought it was a hose connection.  I tightened them both a bit and still notice some.  I could see a drip off the bottom of the pump but cannot tell where it was coming from.  Yesterday I had a few minute that I could look at it again.  Best I can tell its coming from the seam.  It's a slow enough leak that you cannot watch a drip develop.  I suppose a new pump is in order!!  GRRRR

Hi , i have spend some money and time to renovate the old one , then leaks ( after monted and try on road) the canister hole was damaged . 
Replace with a new one ( better a keyshafted ) no leaks . works , perfectly , no more troubles . 
imo

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.