FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2018 8:45 PM  #1

What oil to run in my old Mustang

I have a 68 Stang that I am getting ready to put on the road. It has been sitting in a garage for 29 years. I've got the engine running on the oil that is in it but I think I should change it pretty soon. The oil is clean enough that is looks like it was changed before it was parked but I have no idea what brand it is or type.
I've always run synthetic oil in all my cars but I am a little leary of doing that with this one not knowing what history it has. As far as I know oil is not produced anymore with zinc in it so what is the best recommendations?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/11/2018 9:08 PM  #2

Re: What oil to run in my old Mustang

Change the oil. It may have condensation or other contaminants. Use zddp zinc additive with each oil change, or use an oil with zinc already in it. Amzoil synthetic has zinc in it, if you want synthetic. I don't run synthetic in any classics. There will be others who do, but that is another discussion. I like 10w30 in the early engines.

5/11/2018 9:17 PM  #3

check out AMSoil.  There is one for hotrods with zinc.  That's what I am using.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/11/2018 10:59 PM  #4

5/11/2018 11:26 PM  #5

I hear guys talk about Chevron RM Delo oil for diesels. It still contains zinc.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/12/2018 6:11 AM  #6

I would not run synthetic in an older engine, especially one that's sat for that long.  You are almost guaranteed to develop leaks.  Synthetics are vastly superior to conventional oil in terms of lubricity and thermal handling and stability.  That said some of those heavier hydrocarbons in the conventional oil serve to keep old seals pliable and thus prevent leaks.  In a fresh engine, after its been broken in, synthetic is the way to go.

Definitely run the ZDDP additive.  Any engine with a flat tappet cam needs that.

Don't bother with the Diesel oils.  This is another one of those things that gets bandied about on the internet because it was true five years ago, but not anymore.  The zinc has also been removed from the Diesel oils by this time.  They may still have a slightly higher concentration than automotive oils, but not enough to allow you to forgo the ZDDP additive. 

I would recommend a 10W30 weight wise.  These cars get driven so infrequently that you can't really go by the 3,000 mile change interval.  I recommend changing the oil every year right before the start of the driving season.  Most places these cars sit for months at a time collecting condensation, etc.  That's what you're removing by changing the oil.  In a car that gets driven frequently its not a concern.  It seems a waste of oil, but better safe than sorry, and I live by the motto that oil is cheap and engines are expensive.  I run full synthetic in my Diesel F250 and I change 14 quarts of oil at 5,000 miles per factory interval.  I'm sure I could get more mileage out of the synthetic, but injectors alone are $2,500 a set, whereas an oil change cost less than $120.  Not much math there in trying to prolong the change. 

5/12/2018 6:54 AM  #7

My local autozone stocks a zinc additive produced by Shell........it's in a metal retro looking Shell can. 

5/12/2018 8:16 AM  #8

I mix 1/3 bottle Lucas break in oil with Zink with my Citgo 10w30 39 cents a quart oil change.

5/12/2018 11:18 AM  #9

TKOPerformance wrote:

I would not run synthetic in an older engine, especially one that's sat for that long.  You are almost guaranteed to develop leaks.  Synthetics are vastly superior to conventional oil in terms of lubricity and thermal handling and stability.  That said some of those heavier hydrocarbons in the conventional oil serve to keep old seals pliable and thus prevent leaks.  In a fresh engine, after its been broken in, synthetic is the way to go.

I would recommend a 10W30 weight wise.  

I'm familiar with synthetic oil put into older airplane engines. They tend to plug up the ports and galleys and quit when you don't want them to. There are a few oils advertised that they are mineral oil with zinc already added to it. In airplane talk mineral oil is the same as breakin oil. Is that the case here or does that mean it is just petroleum oil? I don't want to continue to run breakin oil without a detergent in it. If I need to buy today's current oil off the shelf how much zinc additive do I put in it? I guess the container would say but askin anyways. 

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/12/2018 1:14 PM  #10

How many miles on it?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/12/2018 3:36 PM  #11

You should run the viscosity range the manufacturer of the engine recommended. If it is a late 60’s engine and Ford recommended 10W-30, then run 10W-30. The additive package is determined by the camshaft lifters. Roller lifters get a late model oil with a late model additive package. Flat lifters need ZDDP. You can go to your local autoparts store and get the counter guy (or girl) to show you the three or four brands of ZDDP additive they stock. Blend the ZDDP according to the instructions on the ZDDP bottle. This is no time for you to pretend you are a chemist. I like to mix the additive and the new oil in a bucket prior to putting it in the engine to make sure the additive is mixed in evenly.

There are several current oil companies the sell an oil with sufficient levels of ZDDP for flat lifter camshafts: Amsoil, Royal Purple, Red Line, Joe Gibbs (very expensive), PennGrade 1. The advantage of these premixed oils is that they have already done all the lab testing for you, no test tubes needed. I have used Amsoil (a lot), Royal Purple, and Joe Gibbs. They all worked just fine.

One drawback to using an oil meant for current production engines is that their additive packages contain much more effective detergents than were used back in the 60’s. Today’s oils will remove built up sludge from an old engine, sometimes causing pluggage of oil passages. A buddy and I ran a test a number of years ago to see if the high detergent oils would clean up a sludgy engine. We bought a 65 Galaxie with a 352 that had so much sludge in the engine that you couldn’t get your finger in the add-oil port. We had to bore a hole in the sludge to change the oil. In went 5 quarts of high detergent and a new motorcraft filter. We ran the engine at 2000rpm, keeping an eye on the temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge. At about 45minutes the oil pressure fell and we shut it off. We let the engine cool for a couple of hours before we pulled the oil change plug. When the plug came out, no oil came out. We pulled the pan and found it full of black, stinky gel. We turned the pan upside down and nothing fell out. We cut the oil filter apart and found it full of the same black gel. We discussed cleaning out the pan and refilling with more high detergent oil, but we finally realized the oil passages were probably full of the same gel and would probably not clear out on a cold start. We tore the engine down (which was our ultimate goal from the beginning) and had the block and heads hot tanked. The machine shop charged us extra for the extra goop they had to clean out of their hot tank. Ah, the good old days where blocks and heads were real iron and hot tanks used real chemicals. This is admittedly an extreme example, but the 60’s oils would sludge up an engine. We heard a story that the previous owner of our Galaxie never changed the oil, he just added when it got low. Sadly, I met several people over the years that had the same philosophy

5/12/2018 6:57 PM  #12

Rudi wrote:

How many miles on it?

09565.4 on the speedo. The lady that owned it said it should say 300,000 but I don't know. She was the original owner. Both UCA's were shot at the pivots but they still had the original ball joints and so were the tierod ends. The power steering hoses all leak but look original except one has been changed. I think the engine has been changed or overhauled awhile back but it wasn't repainted. The transmission and differential are leaking. There is no rust on it except surface rust. As is typical though the battery tray is almost rusted into oblivion and the inner fender area under it has a big hole. The bottom of the hood area above the battery looks like the battery blew up once or got really over charged.

5/13/2018 5:12 AM  #13

Synthetic oils are all derived from petroleum base stock just like conventional oils.  The difference is that these oils only contain one or two specific molecule types, whereas conventional oils contain dozens.  The synthetic is therefore targeted to meet very specific criteria very precisely.  Conventional oil meets it by having enough of the various "good" molecules to negate the effects of the "bad" molecules to allow it to meet the spec.  Obviously this also means the two oils have very different additive packages.  There are books written on the chemistry of oil (pretty fascinating subject actually), and its beyond what I can go into here, but consider that oil weight for example can be achieved through two or three different methods.  This can result in some engines with oil going in at a 40W and testing as 30W after a few hundred miles due to a phenomenon known as "oil shearing".  Then the debate ensues, do you just put 30W in the engine since the 40W turns into 30W anyway?  But the manufacturer must have known this an spec'd the 40W anyway, ...

If you have a carbed engine from the '60s with 300k on it I'd be seriously surprised.  You were lucky to get 100k from those engines.  The imprecise fueling provided by carbs washed the oil off the cylinder walls, especially when the engine was cold, and caused the rings and bores to wear out much faster than modern EFI engines.  The flat tappet cams were also a liability in that regard.  The way they were hardened the heat treatment typically didn't last more than 100k, and some of the lobes would be going flat by 100k.  Then you toss in the fact that the oil was bad back then, and the average person wasn't all that great about maintenance (nothing's changed there, just the engines have become more idiot proof and the oil's gotten better). 

Its not uncommon to see EFI engines with 200-300k or more on then that still have a ton of life left in them.  Both my wife's and my daily drivers have over 200k on them.  They both look a bit worse for the wear, but are mechanically perfectly sound.  That being said, I have had the heads off both engines for different reasons.  I've also done compression checks on both and both showed good compression even at that mileage.  It would be an extremely rare carbureted engine that would last anywhere near that long.  I've seen a handful over the years, but they were either built like a tractor (IH Scout) or maintained by a guy who treated maintenance like his job (Jeep Comanche).

I'd listen to Horman on this one too.  Pull the valvecovers off.  You'll be able to see how sludged up the engine is.  I too have seen them so packed full of sludge that the only clearance in there was from where the rockers had cleared a path.  I've seen lifter valleys where there was in imprint in the sludge of the bottom of the intake after it was pulled.  In part, the old oils contained a lot more heavy molecules like parafin that contributed to this.  There is machine shop and mechanic's lore that says certain oils like Quaker State were worse for this than others, but its hard to tell if that's true or urban legend.  In the end I think its less what oil was used and much, much more about how often it was changed.  Once an engine is that sludged up there's not much that can be done to clear it out short of a teardown.  Considering how bad being that sludged up is you have to know the bearings are shot anyway, so I'd rather tear it down and go through it rather than drive a time bomb. 

Here's one more fun fact about oil: Up until whaling was outlawed in the '70s ATF contained whale oil.  When the whale oil was removed automatic transmission failures went from 1 million annually to 8 million annually.  So engine oil back in the day seems to have been worse, yet ATF seems to have been better...

5/13/2018 1:29 PM  #14

The non synthetic version of Valvoline Racing Oil is a pretty good one to use since it has the Zinc and other additives still in it. It is popular with a lot of the vintage racers and is readily available since a lot of the local racers use it in their circle track cars.

5/13/2018 5:41 PM  #15

TKOPerformance wrote:

Synthetic oils are all derived from petroleum base stock just like conventional oils.  The difference is that these oils only contain one or two specific molecule types, whereas conventional oils contain dozens.  The synthetic is therefore targeted to meet very specific criteria very precisely.  Conventional oil meets it by having enough of the various "good" molecules to negate the effects of the "bad" molecules to allow it to meet the spec.  Obviously this also means the two oils have very different additive packages.  There are books written on the chemistry of oil (pretty fascinating subject actually), and its beyond what I can go into here, but consider that oil weight for example can be achieved through two or three different methods.  This can result in some engines with oil going in at a 40W and testing as 30W after a few hundred miles due to a phenomenon known as "oil shearing".  Then the debate ensues, do you just put 30W in the engine since the 40W turns into 30W anyway?  But the manufacturer must have known this an spec'd the 40W anyway, ...

If you have a carbed engine from the '60s with 300k on it I'd be seriously surprised.  You were lucky to get 100k from those engines.  The imprecise fueling provided by carbs washed the oil off the cylinder walls, especially when the engine was cold, and caused the rings and bores to wear out much faster than modern EFI engines.  The flat tappet cams were also a liability in that regard.  The way they were hardened the heat treatment typically didn't last more than 100k, and some of the lobes would be going flat by 100k.  Then you toss in the fact that the oil was bad back then, and the average person wasn't all that great about maintenance (nothing's changed there, just the engines have become more idiot proof and the oil's gotten better). 

Its not uncommon to see EFI engines with 200-300k or more on then that still have a ton of life left in them.  Both my wife's and my daily drivers have over 200k on them.  They both look a bit worse for the wear, but are mechanically perfectly sound.  That being said, I have had the heads off both engines for different reasons.  I've also done compression checks on both and both showed good compression even at that mileage.  It would be an extremely rare carbureted engine that would last anywhere near that long.  I've seen a handful over the years, but they were either built like a tractor (IH Scout) or maintained by a guy who treated maintenance like his job (Jeep Comanche).

I'd listen to Horman on this one too.  Pull the valvecovers off.  You'll be able to see how sludged up the engine is.  I too have seen them so packed full of sludge that the only clearance in there was from where the rockers had cleared a path.  I've seen lifter valleys where there was in imprint in the sludge of the bottom of the intake after it was pulled.  In part, the old oils contained a lot more heavy molecules like parafin that contributed to this.  There is machine shop and mechanic's lore that says certain oils like Quaker State were worse for this than others, but its hard to tell if that's true or urban legend.  In the end I think its less what oil was used and much, much more about how often it was changed.  Once an engine is that sludged up there's not much that can be done to clear it out short of a teardown.  Considering how bad being that sludged up is you have to know the bearings are shot anyway, so I'd rather tear it down and go through it rather than drive a time bomb. 

Here's one more fun fact about oil: Up until whaling was outlawed in the '70s ATF contained whale oil.  When the whale oil was removed automatic transmission failures went from 1 million annually to 8 million annually.  So engine oil back in the day seems to have been worse, yet ATF seems to have been better...

​Way back when I replaced the first 289 at 200k miles because I thought that was a good time to do it.  It was probably worn out.  I grew up with flatheads that were done before 100k miles.  I sold it to a guy who installed it in a BMW!  ( Don't ask).  Several years later, I ran into him again.  He still had the car and loved the engine.  No oil burning and plenty of power.  I changed oil every 5000 miles because multiples of 5000 are easy to remember.  Oil was 30w; whatever good brand I felt like buying.  Filter was usually a Ford FL-1.  So those engines could last a long time if properly taken care of.

​Now since I do not drive it as much, I change oil every 6 months because it is easy to remember the schedule.  Now I use 10w-30; whatever brand hits my fancy.  Filter is whatever fits.  It was installed in '89 and still has over 160psi in every cylinder with all being within 5 lb.  Oh, I just passed 100,000 miles on it, and there is another 289 I between.

​Take care of your car and it will take care of you.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/13/2018 6:21 PM  #16

Not that it was impossible, just unlikely.  I'm thinking we get harsher winters here too, and that's a large part of when the wear occurs because the engine is over fueled so much just to get it started and keep it running in cold weather.  These cars don't really get driven in that weather now, but they did before they became classics.

How the car gets driven also plays a roll.  If you're out there hammering the thing because you're constantly late for work and its winter you might as well be dumping sand into the engine.  If you get up in time to let the car warm up before driving, and take it easy until its up to temperature its going to live a lot longer. 

5/14/2018 9:21 PM  #17

So I'm looking at the oil filters on the Summit site and see the that the oil filters have all sorts of different specs as to what pressure the relief valve opens. 8 lbs to 22 lbs are the specs on the filters I was looking at. Why do they open so low? The oil pressure on my engine shows right at the top of the gage. It seems like I am not getting full filtering. Am I right?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.