FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2018 6:06 PM  #1

Blasted solenoid sticking!!!

66 mustang 6 cyl. Blasted solenoid sticking. Need some new ideas please! Cleaned all grounds (yes, the ground between block and chassis) two new after market solenoids, third one from Landmark Ford, (local) This one from ford has no 12 volt stud for ignition but not needed as we have changed to Pertronics and use 12 volts. Cranks strong, but about every third start solenoid sticks!!! Also new reman starter, act like old one. Not sure where to go? Thank you!!!

5/15/2018 6:27 PM  #2

Re: Blasted solenoid sticking!!!

ignition switch acting up?

5/15/2018 10:15 PM  #3

Battery !!! All day !!!

I’ve been through the same problem two years ago almost. Did all what you have done and it was my darn battery all along.

The battery had too high of internal resistance , making the voltage drop too quick at crank, and hence the current draw was high, and solenoid would weld itself and stick.

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

5/17/2018 5:13 AM  #4

Interesting... I was having some issues on my car with this. Seems to be intermittent.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

5/17/2018 10:21 AM  #5

Stevo wrote:

Interesting... I was having some issues on my car with this. Seems to be intermittent.

stevo.. intermittent could be different. I just fixed that intermittent issue with my car this week

Someone here suggested that the intermediate issue : if it happens after the starter is heat soaked HOT, after a run, and not on cold, thats the starter itself . I changed the starter, and that issue is resolved. I ran the car to when it was hot. let it stand for 2 monites to heat soak and restart. Usually thats when it would stick ,but new starter didnt.

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

5/17/2018 2:11 PM  #6

Gaba wrote:

Stevo wrote:

stevo.. intermittent could be different. I just fixed that intermittent issue with my car this week

Someone here suggested that the intermediate issue : if it happens after the starter is heat soaked HOT, after a run, and not on cold, thats the starter itself . I changed the starter, and that issue is resolved. I ran the car to when it was hot. let it stand for 2 monites to heat soak and restart. Usually thats when it would stick ,but new starter didnt.

Thanks Gabba, mine usually acted up when the engine was cold. MS said a possible cause might be a partially drained battery, so I am hoping this is it. I will keep my fingers crossed for now.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.