FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2018 8:12 AM  #1

Looking for Custom Fit Sub Enclosure for Classic Mustang

I feel like someone must sell a sub enclosure for classic mustang that fit nicely into the trunk recesses.  I could always fab or buy a generic box but I haven't found one that has contours to let it fit in the cavities above the wheel wells or rear of the trunk near the shock access holes.

Anyone come across something like this?

5/17/2018 8:54 AM  #2

Re: Looking for Custom Fit Sub Enclosure for Classic Mustang

Ask 6Sally6...he was a Sub guy.  Hey Mike, how'd you put your sub in your Mustang?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/17/2018 11:00 AM  #3

Bullet Bob wrote:

Ask 6Sally6...he was a Sub guy.  Hey Mike, how'd you put your sub in your Mustang?

BB

He welded it in 

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/17/2018 3:05 PM  #4

Rudi wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

He welded it in 

That's not very comforting.  I saw plenty of custom MDF enclosures in a google image search.  There have to be more than 100k classic mustangs still out there.  Of all the secondary market stuff out there I'm surprised no one has a custom box to fit behind the wheel well in the trunk.

I ordered a tube enclosure for an 8" sub and the sub from amazon.  I'll see how to make it work.

Last edited by TremendousWand (5/17/2018 3:06 PM)

5/17/2018 4:40 PM  #5

First.......you gotta take the Old Stang down below  1000 feet before this will work!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/17/2018 4:44 PM  #6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/17/2018 6:55 PM  #7

Years ago there was a company that made a custom fit sub that mounted in the rim of the spare tire.  I'm sure like all other "custom" audio parts designed for classics it was pure junk.

I've yet to find a custom fit, premade box.  I think when you get to that level people just use a universal box (what I did), or build one.  Honestly they aren't hard to build.  Make templates out of heavy cardboard and cut the parts out of 5/8" or 3/4" MDF.  Glue and fasten the box together (staples, screws,. nails, etc.).  You can buy the plates that go in the boxes with wiring jacks through Amazon, Crutchfield, etc.  Then you just carpet or otherwise cover the box.  Subs will tell you how much volume they need in a box, so you just design a box of that volume.  I'd stick to a sealed box.  Ported boxes can ultimately hit harder at certain frequencies, but they have to be bigger. 

5/17/2018 7:17 PM  #8

TremendousWand wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

He welded it in 

That's not very comforting.  I saw plenty of custom MDF enclosures in a google image search.  There have to be more than 100k classic mustangs still out there.  Of all the secondary market stuff out there I'm surprised no one has a custom box to fit behind the wheel well in the trunk.

I ordered a tube enclosure for an 8" sub and the sub from amazon.  I'll see how to make it work.

Sorry for the levity, I could not resist. Good ole Sal was a submariner and still can lay down a pretty nice bead. 

Last edited by Rudi (5/17/2018 7:20 PM)

5/18/2018 7:57 AM  #9

TKOPerformance wrote:

Years ago there was a company that made a custom fit sub that mounted in the rim of the spare tire. 

Hey, I forgot about those!  Actually, one of my sons drove an 06 Saab Aero SportCombi wagon for awhile.  It had the factory premium sound system, which was excellent (for a factory sound system).  It had a factory sub mounted in the spare tire.  There are plenty of Saabs in junkyards, but not many wagons.  Maybe somebody could score some sub hardware that way.

5/18/2018 4:34 PM  #10

Ah, the company the put all the accessories on the wrong side of the engine had a good idea after all!

5/18/2018 6:33 PM  #11

This is my current setup, with my newly added sub and second Amp.

5/18/2018 6:35 PM  #12

TKOPerformance wrote:

Ah, the company the put all the accessories on the wrong side of the engine had a good idea after all!

Made for the Australian consumers? 

5/19/2018 4:05 AM  #13

• Perfect 
  • Classic Mustang

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.