FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2018 6:58 PM  #1

I still need a measurement........

Dealing with a 67 coupe, if you lay a straight edge across the doors at the exterior handles, what is the measurement to the headliner centered over the drivers seat??

I am fitting seats to the car and need to know what kind of head clearance I can expect. With no headliner, I have 4” of clearance while I sit in the seat to the lowest part of the cross brace that the dome light attaches to.

Found some 2006 GT seats on Craigslist. I’ve been told the 06 seat tracks will set the seats too high, but I cut down my seat pans when I was working on the floors years ago. The seats are temporarily installed with self tapers at the front.  Just trying to make sure all the parts will work together before I proceed with a permanent installation.

Thanks, John

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (5/18/2018 6:09 PM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/18/2018 6:11 PM  #2

Re: I still need a measurement........

I guess it time to ask a different way.

How far does the headliner hang down from the roof??

Trying to work out how much the head clearance I will have.

5/18/2018 9:51 PM  #3

On my 68 coup using my genuine 2017 Mustang Steve measuring tape I got 17 1/4 inches. In the middle of the ceiling laying my "straight edge" right behind the door lock buttons above the outside door handles.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/19/2018 7:09 AM  #4

Thank John for taking the time. The headliner must not have much of an air gap to the roof, cause that's about what I got.

5/19/2018 4:13 PM  #5

Hi , i replaced the headliner in my 66 . more or less you nave 2 or 3 inches of free space .
From headliner to top roof  .  maybe 2 , and no more than 3 except if differrent in 67

5/19/2018 7:17 PM  #6

I replaced the seats in my 65 FB with some from a Fiero.  I know - sacrilege.  However, the Fiero seats have a lot going for them:  They have a classic sports car design and a lot of high end custom car builders have used them in a variety of applications.  They are well bolstered so you don't slide around.  They are not very wide so they won't hit the door handles.  They are pretty low (unlike later model Mustang seats) so you'll likely have plenty of headroom.  Their seat frames can be easily modified to fit the Mustang hole pattern.  Lastly, there's a guy in FL (Mr. Mike) who sells reasonably priced upholstery kits and can replicate the classic Mustang seat stitching, in any color.  He stitched up a set for me and I'm very happy w/ them.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

5/20/2018 9:59 PM  #7

Thanks guys. The Mustang seats are in decent shape for the age. There’s enough side bolster to keep you in it, but not as much as out BMW 325 with the sport seats. Those get to me after a while.

I’m plowing ahead with the seat brackets. Started with a piece of 3/6 x 2” angle and attacked it with a band saw. I will get a buddy at work to weld them up this week. I still need to take pictures of the pieces.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.