FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2018 9:07 AM  #1

Gaps in Back Seats

1966 Mustang Coupe

I got to the point of finally installing the back seats after finishing some trunk work.  I noticed there was a noticeable gap on either side between the interior quarter panels and the upper back portion of the backseat.  I could see back to the seat belt bolts.  Is this normal?  The package tray (TMI) seems to be about 1/2" too width.  Meaning it sticks out about 1/2" over the metal edge of the rear package tray shelf.  I had to notch it get the quarter panels to sit correctly.  I suspect this could be leading to the seats not sitting properly I was thinking of putting some extra foam under the upholstery to make the sides of the seats more puffed out to close the gap.  

5/21/2018 10:19 AM  #2

Re: Gaps in Back Seats

When I had my seats redone we had to add some foam at the sides of the rear bench, sides seemed to be ok, but these were Shelby quarter panel covers. Can't remember how the original was.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/21/2018 10:27 AM  #3

Although mine is a fastback, from what I remember working on coupes, there were not any gaps on the sides or between the upper and lower seat sections.  If the seat belt had worked its way between the upper and lower sections, it was tough to get your hand in to retrieve.  And, the seat sides were right up against the side panels.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/21/2018 10:39 AM  #4

Simply shim the quarter panel trim outwards to fill the gap.  There were shims often used for this at the factory, but those have been lost over the last 50+ years as ham fisted schmucks took the car apart and put it back together with either lost or leftover parts.  Body shims or washer both work.  If you need a stack tape them together to make installation easier.  I have like 7/8" on one of the bolts in my fastback to get the trim to sit right, but there are no unsightly gaps anymore. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.