FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2018 9:00 PM  #1

HELP!!!Changed starter and starter solenoid now car is smoking inside

Help folks!!!

My starter was on its way out , it was sticking when hot , I mean drawing enough current when heat soaked that the starter solenoid would stick. (Battery was checked good)

I changed the starter and solenoid , and now while the car starts , I see no voltage at I of solenoid when on.

There is now (eve after Burning off my hair and skin cells off the exhaust lol) , a good bit of smoke and smell even when ignition is just on (car not running) , and definitely smoke when Car is running .

I don’t want my stang to burn down so battery is now disconnected . What the hell Happened !! ?

I am so confused . Please do help

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

5/10/2018 9:20 PM  #2

Re: HELP!!!Changed starter and starter solenoid now car is smoking inside

Need more "inflammation"(pun intended)!!
Is it a stock replacement starter?
Is it a modern mini starter?
Did you war-it up JUST LIKE the old one?
How bought wire size. (Trust Uncle Sal....Size IS very important)
Bunch of questions before we can make a decent guess.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/10/2018 9:33 PM  #3

It’s s Stock replacement . Starts things just the same as old even better and quicker. Big cables 4 gauge or whatever is stock for starters .. I don’t think it’s the starter 

Smoke happens when the key is in ignition even without car starting , inside the cabin.

It’s something with my solenoid or ignition switch wiring I would think. :/

Last edited by Gaba (5/10/2018 9:34 PM)

5/10/2018 9:39 PM  #4

Inside sounds like ignition probs...under my favorite place...THE DASH.
Don't think a "crapped-out" sillynoid would make a pile of smoke inside the car. They are cheap enough to replace though.(and EZ to get too!!!)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/10/2018 10:48 PM  #5

I bet you some wires are touching lightly maybe moved some open wires

Gaba wrote:

Help folks!!!

My starter was on its way out , it was sticking when hot , I mean drawing enough current when heat soaked that the starter solenoid would stick. (Battery was checked good)

I changed the starter and solenoid , and now while the car starts , I see no voltage at I of solenoid when on.

There is now (eve after Burning off my hair and skin cells off the exhaust lol) , a good bit of smoke and smell even when ignition is just on (car not running) , and definitely smoke when Car is running .

I don’t want my stang to burn down so battery is now disconnected . What the hell Happened !! ?

I am so confused . Please do help

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

5/11/2018 9:47 PM  #6

So .... I started by changing the solenoid , as a shot to fix this ..  before getting under the dash. Lol it was just the see if that created an issue.

So ..... turns out , it WAS the solenoid!! The stupid thing had an internal
Short sending battery Hot back to the key tumbler via the pink wire .

Old solenoid has no issues at all.

Once running perfectly , I decided to investigate what was burning inside. Expecting to see burnt or melted wires , as there was a lot of smoke ... removed the instrument cluster , and here it is ... the electrical tape is what was burning !! The original factory wires in it were still almost in new condition .. looked like it anyway!!

You can tell the burn starts at the pink wire (see to the left where it was wanting to burn more )

The pink resistor wire is not being used in my ignition system, few years ago, I ran a new wire to the 12V Petronix system , and now being used by the MSD.

But here it is 

Also was expecting a toast key tumbler /. Ignition switch harness , but thankfully that’s not burnt either . No melting !!! Yaay

So .... I will be getting a new solenoid again, and trying that out

But for now .. this is resolved !!!

Last edited by Gaba (5/12/2018 2:38 PM)

5/11/2018 11:28 PM  #7

You're doing great Gaba.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/11/2018 11:32 PM  #8

Get a Motorcraft solenoid, NPD has them.

Last edited by rpm (5/11/2018 11:33 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/21/2018 8:13 PM  #9

Don't you just love these old Mustangs!

5/22/2018 1:07 AM  #10

always an adventure :D

5/22/2018 11:24 AM  #11

I agree with rpm, get a Motorcraft solenoid. I have experienced similar quality issues with the cheaper brands.

1966 Coupe, 1965 Fastback, 1968 Cougar

5/22/2018 11:39 AM  #12

i did get one. its been delivered. I will be installing that motocraft solenoid soon

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.