FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2018 11:24 PM  #76

Re: Gaba’s AOD rebuild project

If you know Bob, it only makes sense that he fabbed it. Gabe, I know you're a busy man, but could you snap some pics of the contraption for me? Pretty please...I'll be your friend!

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/13/2018 7:30 AM  #77

Last edited by Bullet Bob (7/13/2018 7:32 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/13/2018 10:22 AM  #78

there you go Bob posted for you rpm :D

If you need more, I can definitely take pics for you, will take no time..

If you want measurements, I can do that too

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

7/13/2018 10:36 AM  #79

Muchos gracias Roberto!

7/13/2018 1:29 PM  #80

By the way to address the concern about the money I am investing in this build Bob

I am actually trying to stretch my dollar as far as I can.. For example I got a 2" OD band, mechanical Diode, new gearing all for so so so cheap from GPatrick ($400++ value in parts)

The valve body had to have a shift kit put in anyway.. so if I can find one that is recommended for a wide ratio , I would still rather do it myself.. if I cannot, then I will yes get lentech

The rebuild kit , I am going to shop around and find the cheapest possible, with most clutches in forward and direct drum, all else is good!

Even with Lentech, its 200 more on this transmision , but a transmission built for handeling 500++ HP , overkill.

Also talked to some people about the rear end gear ratio (mine is 2.80) which I know is HIGH. but there was mention of that hurting / balooning the torque converter. Well , I was told that if I dont put slicks on it and race it with 2.80 I will NEVER hurt the convertor.. So I can keep this gear ratio for now, till I have more money and then I will go to 3.25 or 3.55 .. But for now, the rear end cann remain as is without an issue.

7/13/2018 4:00 PM  #81

I would not buy a rebuild kit based on price.  I would buy it based on what shops like Lentech use in their transmissions.  Lots of companies sell rebuild kits, but where a lack of knowledge on specifics hurts you is that you don't know for example what clutches and steels work best in the AOD, whereas a place like Lentech that's built thousands of AODs has likely tried every combination out there and uses the one that provides the best performance and longest life for the intended use of the trans.  I would research all of that before buying a rebuild kit.

7/13/2018 7:59 PM  #82

TKOPerformance wrote:

I would not buy a rebuild kit based on price.  I would buy it based on what shops like Lentech use in their transmissions.  Lots of companies sell rebuild kits, but where a lack of knowledge on specifics hurts you is that you don't know for example what clutches and steels work best in the AOD, whereas a place like Lentech that's built thousands of AODs has likely tried every combination out there and uses the one that provides the best performance and longest life for the intended use of the trans.  I would research all of that before buying a rebuild kit.

X2 or 3 of what he said.

There’s the old saying about good, fast, and cheap!! You can have 2, not all 3!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/13/2018 8:39 PM  #83

Wow!  82 posts.  Is that a record for posts for one topic?

Last edited by lowercasesteve (7/13/2018 8:40 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

7/13/2018 9:12 PM  #84

TKOPerformance wrote:

I agree sir

I am definitely not going for cheap as in cheapp but best for the money!!! And yes lentech is a great company I do trust. I will see what they recommend ... I did talk to PATC and they recommended one that was a bit pricey but came with hardened direct shaft. Which is again a great upgrade.

Anyway

Lowercasesteve

Oh this is just the beginning sir !!!!! ;D

7/14/2018 2:26 AM  #85

PATC is a good company too.  I used their parts for an E4OD rebuild I did for my buddy's '95 Lightning years back. 

7/16/2018 11:21 AM  #86

alright.. just got off the phone with transgo , and realized I had tunnel vision. I was looking ONLY at the AOD-HP kit, which they DO NOT support wide ratio for

BUT

AOD-SK does! and thats awesome! So I will be able to save some money and just get the AOD-SK transgo shift kit and do it myself. saves money and works with wide ratio .and the kit is aonly around $30 !! hey thats a tenth of the full valve body :D

I may be adding to this the oring plugs to stop and prevent any leaks from the 3-4 shift valve in the valve body (from sonnax)  esp as this transmission has complains of no 4th.

Last edited by Gaba (7/16/2018 11:23 AM)

11/06/2018 11:26 AM  #87

you thought I stopped work on this project didnt you!!! HAH!!! I didnt :D

So , starting on the rebuild, I started with the valve body. I am still not done, I am about half way through, but I am sure having a lot of fun doing it!

I was told over and over again that Cleanliness is godliness here ... so I went and bought a large drip pan from advanced auto parts store for like 11 bucks! and its awesome to keep workspace clean and organized. You will se all the tools needed here too. The egg carton was a great Idea I read online for keeping valves and springs that come out organized.

Here is a pic of the transgo kit with each page having its own packet.

In addition to the transgo kit , I am also installing an endplug kit from Sonnax , which does NOT interfere with the transgo kit , it adds O rings to potentially leaky endplugs causing some shift issues in AOD's. Its a cheap kit and perfect time to put it in.

taking some pics as I go along, including check ball locations and orientation of the plates on top.

I am done with one side valves completely (the side with the manual selector valve and the Throttle Valve) . I am on the other side. I am taking it slow, and steady. Already killed one booster and endplug by letting it drop to the floor and trying my shoving tactics.. , and also lost a couple clips to them flying away as I take valves apart. Thankfully I knew this would happen, so the older model valve body is coming in handy as a spares provider . :D .. its fun ! and I am enjoying this slowly

Last edited by Gaba (11/06/2018 11:40 AM)

11/06/2018 11:34 AM  #88

no pics......keeping us in suspense.....drum roll........

11/06/2018 11:39 AM  #89

just added them  :D ... refresh!!

11/06/2018 11:49 AM  #90

thanks Gaba.......sleep will come easy for me now!

11/06/2018 9:43 PM  #91

I had placed an ad on craigslist looking for a 4r70w. I got a response today from a guy that has one with performance buildup, a higher stall converter and a baumann controller setup, asking $1,200 for all of it.

This doesn’t sound bad as far as price, if everything is as stated.

Glad to hear you are making progress, Gaba. For a guy that had never changed oil before, you are moving right along!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/07/2018 7:54 AM  #92

MS wrote:

I had placed an ad on craigslist looking for a 4r70w. I got a response today from a guy that has one with performance buildup, a higher stall converter and a baumann controller setup, asking $1,200 for all of it.

This doesn’t sound bad as far as price, if everything is as stated.

Glad to hear you are making progress, Gaba. For a guy that had never changed oil before, you are moving right along!

That’s awesome!!! It’s a great price if it is as good as he says it is !!!

And thank you!! haha ... yep I have come a long way from that :D

11/09/2018 11:17 AM  #93

Gaba,
IMO having the optimum cruiser for trips is a very high priority.  How many burnouts do you plan to do versus how many bashes do you plan to cruise to?  I am running 3.25's and cruise at 2100 rpm at 70 mph.  Probably not apples to apples since I am running a T5;but, you get the idea.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

11/09/2018 12:16 PM  #94

Agreed ;) I know I will be the same at 70mpb then too like you.

I want burnouts but not as much as I want highway drive ability. 3.25 will be perfect

11/12/2018 10:17 AM  #95

Valve body is DONE!!!! It was so much fun. .here is a pic of it all clean and with transgo noyoyo shift kit installed , check balls are in, this pic was right before the seperator plate and pressure plates went on. Now its sealed tight in a box till its pulled out for install in the transmission ..

took apart the pump yesterday also.. easy peasy..!! no wear on bushings or gears.. all pretty.. I am building my parts list from disassembling all drums now so I dont order anything i dont need. or miss out on something. PUMPED! ::D

Last edited by Gaba (11/12/2018 10:19 AM)

11/19/2018 3:01 PM  #96

alright! the Transmission body is out to the cleaner to get it squeeky cleaned..

I was going to have the forward drum input shaft pushed out of the old cast iron drum to stamped steel drum from the 4R , but come to find out that the stamped steel drums are a bit less strong on that particular drum (as it comes on at the lowest gear ratio 1st gear ) and tend to come apart at the snap ring area under heavy load.. the solid drum was made available as an upgrade apparently to the 4r's that broke this. So I a deciding to keep the forward drum cast. All the rest will be stamped steel..

Tonight I take inventory then of all parts needed and make an order for the rebuild kit. :D .. this is coming along very well!

11/19/2018 4:46 PM  #97

Gaba wrote:

I was going to have the forward drum input shaft pushed out of the old cast iron drum to stamped steel drum from the 4R , but come to find out that the stamped steel drums are a bit less strong on that particular drum (as it comes on at the lowest gear ratio 1st gear ) and tend to come apart at the snap ring area under heavy load.. the solid drum was made available as an upgrade apparently to the 4r's that broke this. So I a deciding to keep the forward drum cast. All the rest will be stamped steel..

Nice progress Gabe!
I've got a couple of questions:
Were you going to have someone else separate the input shaft from the drum? If so, I did mine and it's pretty simple. I made a compressor from scrap aluminum. Easy peasy.

Where did you find the info that the forward cast drum is stronger than the steel drum? That's the first I've heard of that.

11/19/2018 7:04 PM  #98

rpm wrote:

Gaba wrote:

Nice progress Gabe!
I've got a couple of questions:
Were you going to have someone else separate the input shaft from the drum? If so, I did mine and it's pretty simple. I made a compressor from scrap aluminum. Easy peasy.

Where did you find the info that the forward cast drum is stronger than the steel drum? That's the first I've heard of that.

This was the transmission shop here locally

I have the clutch compressor for removing tension on the c clip and remove the piston from the drum

The shaft I was getting removed from cast drum and getting put in the stamped steel one as the stamped steel came from 4R, and the Input shaft wasn’t hollow like the AOD

11/19/2018 7:05 PM  #99

I find all of this very interesting, Gaba.  I'm wondering when you put the 600hp engine in your car and have you completed the tub project so you can get those 12" meats under there?  Also, are you planning to have the kids and Mom riding along when you stop at the drag strip on the way to the Bash?

Just wondering....

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/19/2018 7:11 PM  #100

Ah...ok, didn't think about The solid input shaft. The sooner you pick up a hydraulic press from HF the better. They're cheap enough.  😁

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.