FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2018 8:39 PM  #1

O2 sensor and Air/Fuel mixture gauge

Daze’s engine run stand got me thinking...

Anyone running an air/fuel gauge permanently mounted in their car?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/11/2018 10:16 PM  #2

Re: O2 sensor and Air/Fuel mixture gauge

My FITech FI has one on the little display.  It is hooked to the o2 sensor on the exhaust and can be read if I turn it on.  When on the display uses power that  exhausts the battery even if the engine is off.  Ask how I know that one?

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

8/12/2018 1:38 AM  #3

I added one after seeing RV6's in his 67 coupe at the Bash last year. We both have the AEM 30-4110. I welded bungs on both exhaust pipes just after the long tube header collector flange, and on a couple of the individual header tubes. I mounted the gauge in a dual gauge pod in the console ash tray.

Last edited by rpm (8/12/2018 1:39 AM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/12/2018 8:01 AM  #4

I have a bung on each of the tri y headers at the collectors. Each of the O2 sensors is connected to miniature DPDT switch on the Pilar post where I have the gauge mounted. The engine is of course carbed so the O2 sensors don’t have any control functions othe than reference.
Sorry I can’t post any pictures at this time since I  am on a lake in north Ontario with limited accesses.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/12/2018 9:51 AM  #5

I can't take credit for the idea.  I got it from this video on youtube.  Its a good video and worth watching all the way through.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

8/12/2018 11:19 AM  #6

Has anyone used it to rejet and tune their carburetor successfully?

8/12/2018 12:24 PM  #7

MS wrote:

Has anyone used it to rejet and tune their carburetor successfully?

That was the reason why I added mine. I believe I was successful, I do know it runs much better throughout the throttle position. During the drive down elevation thru Colorado and into Texas with RV6 (Gary), he would occasionally talk about his air/fuel ratio. He changed jets in Amarillo as he started his trip at 8,000 ft. This caught my curiosity. On my post trip car inspection I found the carb was way too rich, even though I averaged 16.7mpg for the entire 5k mile trip. So I called Gary for his take on the O2 sensor and gauge.

Since you get o2 readings from idle thru WOT, you're able to change the primary and secondary jets to get to your goal settings. In addition to the exhaust pipes, I installed a bung on the leanest and richest (based on plug readings) individual header runner. When the jets are changed you get immediate results shown on the gauge. It certainly helped me tune the carb, and would recommend it. There are many air/fuel ratio charts online that are pretty close.

8/13/2018 10:10 AM  #8

I ordered an AEM gauge.

8/13/2018 11:36 AM  #9

MS wrote:

I ordered an AEM gauge.

Wide band I hope! Best for carb tuning.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/13/2018 12:50 PM  #10

Here's a link to Rudi's work.  I was impressed and bookmarked that post.

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3774

8/13/2018 1:22 PM  #11

The AFR gauge was a last ditch effort at tuning the carb. I had a couple of hiccups and did not know if it was lean or rich condition causing the problems. The AFR dialed me in.

After changing jets twice on the way to the bash last year and driving all the way home with the "Florida Jets" in the car I changed the jets to the "Amarillo Jets" and have driven all summer with them installed. I have always fought a cruise to slight addition of power (like a small hill) lean condition (>16 AFR). I have been slowly bumping the main jet size while bringing down the power valve opening. This seems to be a high altitude (house is 8500') problem as even though I was running lean in Florida I had no stumbles anywhere in the power band. Lots of get up and go too!

So even with the AFR gauge it is still a trial and error scenario to tune a carb, but at least I can see the results and adjust accordingly. 

RPM, how much difference do you see between the right and left banks? 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/13/2018 6:46 PM  #12

RV6 wrote:

Dang, was hoping nobody would ask. Even though I welded the L&R bungs the same distance from the collector, I forgot about the asymmetrical trans mount. I can't get the sensor into the bung to check the driver's side. I still have the exhaust pipes off for the AOD swap, so I'll add another bung before the Bash.

8/14/2018 9:40 AM  #13

Went to Summit and got an Autometer wideband. Installed it (bung on pass. side). Set fast idle with vac gauge and timing light.
Read slightly lean at idle. Ohhh, so it's best to tune at wide open throttle. I went to an SCCA autocross where wide open throttle would be common. Oooops, hit so many cones when I looked down to read AFR gauge. Still don't know for sure, but car doesn't stink like raw exhaust after a long cruise. 
More info later after I stop hitting cones. Maybe a long stretch of country road, pulling hard in second and third... cell phone camera mounted to roll bar aimed at gauge... or something like that.
Paul

8/14/2018 3:43 PM  #14

rpm wrote:

RV6 wrote:

Dang, was hoping nobody would ask. Even though I welded the L&R bungs the same distance from the collector, I forgot about the asymmetrical trans mount. I can't get the sensor into the bung to check the driver's side. I still have the exhaust pipes off for the AOD swap, so I'll add another bung before the Bash.

Bwahahaha!

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.