FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2018 8:03 PM  #1

Running hot

Need some help . Car runs hot 225 while driving but when idleing or in traffic runs cool 185-190 .

65 mustang 93 5.0 ported heads 1.92/1.54 stainless steel valve new springs , E303 cam , 1.7 roller rockers , performer rpm intake , Demon 650 carburator , HEI distributor that has been re curved . Timing set at 14° all in timing 34° . T5 tranny , 3:27 rear gears , 3300 rpm puller fan , 3 row aluminum radiator . 180 thermostat .

Car runs and drives great pulls hard runs hot when driving and cool when idleing . Can idle for an hour and temp Wong go over 185 drive for 15 minutes goes right to 225 . Plugs gapped at .54

Last edited by onenicefastback (8/09/2018 8:04 PM)

8/10/2018 12:34 AM  #2

Re: Running hot

hello ,  I am not an expert on this , but i had the same issue with overheating caused from ac add on.
until i replaced the old rad . with new 3 rows like yours .  i got only engine  machined , no power add. 
What i can say is  the thermostat could not working properly  . Before i was using 195 and temp was like yours going up after pull .     i found regular that your temp is rising when you are metal the pedal .

But there are many factor that could go wrong :  radiator dirty , thermostat not opening completely, water pump , some debrits in the circuits that close some little passage or ( hope not ) wrong gasket ( head and intake wrongly mounted ) 

just a question : you trust the water gauge or you are using a serious temp sender and reader ?
Hope it helps
Bye 

8/10/2018 1:43 AM  #3

Start simplest.  Verify that it is indeed running hot and that it isn't just a bad gauge or sender.

Second, I would change the thermostat.  Temperature going up while driving and down while idling is a symptom of a stuck thermostat.  I prefer running a 180 degree thermostat in these cars, and a 195 degree operating temperature.  I set the thermostatic switch on my electric fan to come on at 195 and shut off at 180.  Only in extreme heat have I seen temps over 195, and even them the hottest it ever got was 205-210 on a day when the heat index was about 105. 

Check those two things first and if they don't solve the issue we can go farther down the rabbit hole. 

8/10/2018 5:23 AM  #4

I did replace the stat . I am now using the Mr.Gasket 180° one supposed to allow better flow when open . I did verify temp with a heat gun read 210 on upper radiator hose . Not sure if spark plugs would help but I am running autolite double platinum and was gonna switch to motorcraft copper based plugs . I read somewhere our 302 don't like platinum plugs .

Last edited by onenicefastback (8/10/2018 5:25 AM)

8/10/2018 5:30 AM  #5

The guage is from Dakota digital . Gaskets are good I pulled motor apart and verified . What is weird when I fire heat gun where the header meets the head about 1" on the pipe it reads between 215-235°F . Someone says it should be I. The 400's on the header . If I fire the gun at the collector is around 437° .

8/10/2018 9:59 AM  #6

Kind of off topic, but nothing actually likes platinum plugs.  Platinum plugs are used so car companies can claim "goes 100,000 miles before needing a tune up".  Regular copper plugs will run better, they just need to be changed every so often.  Maybe every 20-30k miles.  Honestly, with the kind of miles most of our cars see that is in effect almost forever. 

I don't see the plugs being the source of your hot running. 

Are the headers ceramic coated?  If so that's why your temps are reading so low.  The collector's hot because you've got all four cylinders converging, instead of one pipe that only fires every other revolution. 

What fan are you running?

8/12/2018 6:01 PM  #7

So swapped out plugs to motorcraft copper . platinum plugs looked a bit lean . Noticed float bowls looked low . Raised both float bowls and re adjusted carb and car seems to be running much cooler . I also installed a mechanical guage along with my digital guage to verify temps are right . Cruised for about 10 miles went as high as 195 but mainly around 187 .

Last edited by onenicefastback (8/12/2018 6:03 PM)

8/12/2018 6:12 PM  #8

One more thought....Maybe your lower rad hose is collapsing.  at higher speeds the water pump will pull more and that could suck the lower hose to a  partial collapse.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

8/12/2018 6:36 PM  #9

lowercasesteve wrote:

One more thought....Maybe your lower rad hose is collapsing.  at higher speeds the water pump will pull more and that could suck the lower hose to a  partial collapse.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                       THIS!
Welcome to the show
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/13/2018 2:47 PM  #10

You do know the 5.0 heads have water jacket ports in different location than the early 289 and 302 blocks, right?  You have to drill some new holes to make water transfer between the two to get best flow.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/13/2018 3:51 PM  #11

MS wrote:

You do know the 5.0 heads have water jacket ports in different location than the early 289 and 302 blocks, right? You have to drill some new holes to make water transfer between the two to get best flow.

^^^^^
Bingo!

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/15/2018 6:40 AM  #12

Hot enough for me to keep an eye and coast as much as possible. Everything is stock. Could be bad radiator, could be engine running too hot? I just dont know

8/15/2018 9:34 AM  #13

onenicefastback wrote:

So swapped out plugs to motorcraft copper . platinum plugs looked a bit lean . Noticed float bowls looked low . Raised both float bowls and re adjusted carb and car seems to be running much cooler . I also installed a mechanical guage along with my digital guage to verify temps are right . Cruised for about 10 miles went as high as 195 but mainly around 187 .

Running too lean causes the engine to run hotter.  Your issue may have been caused by the carburetor.  Be careful with lean conditions because really lean conditions have been known to melt holes in pistons.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/15/2018 9:52 AM  #14

i have a similar issue. Running hot on highway but not in idle or traffic. I am starting at timimnng

my lower radiator hose already has the spring in it so its not collapsing I know. I am making sure my timing is right at 2500-3000 RPM .. its suppsoed to be at 36 total usually..

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

8/15/2018 2:01 PM  #15

MS wrote:

You do know the 5.0 heads have water jacket ports in different location than the early 289 and 302 blocks, right? You have to drill some new holes to make water transfer between the two to get best flow.

I had to reread his post. At first my take was he has a 93 5.0 but then I see 93 heads but he also has a E303 cam. With the E303 I tend to think he may have a 93 5.0 motor.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

8/15/2018 2:20 PM  #16

From reading various posts on different forums as well as the series in Hot Rod magazine where they fix chronic problems in readers cars. Two things seem to pop up. Most stock replacement water pumps have poorly designed impellers that just don't work very well. I also hear complaints about 3 row radiators over 2 row radiators. I hear 3 rows are more restrictive to air flow and some times just don't cool well. As the others said make sure your lower hose isn't collapsing. What are you using for fans? I think sometimes with electric fans and their shrouding they hinder air flow. On my 66 I'm using some cheap azz ebay 2 row no name aluminum radiator with a PRW Eldlebrock knock off aluminum WP. I should have read the fine print better. All the pictures and specs were exactly the same. I thought it was a B package pump that was missing the original box and coulnd't be sold as a new pump. Boy was I pissed when it came, It was clearly my fault but anyway I'm stuck with it and it works great and it's been 100% trouble free. As for a fan I'm using a CL special I paid $65, It's a late 60's early 70's GM 18" thermostatically controlled clutch fan with a 75 Impala clutch. Despite not having a shroud which it should, it runs cool as a cucumber, 195* Tstat.

I'm going to tell you something about those hand held infra red guns. They will only tell you something is hot. I'm a electrician by trade and need to take CEU classes. One class I took on infra red there are so many factors that will skew readings. First that little red dot means squat. The farther you get away the bigger the field it reads and it picks up what ever is hottest in that field, not what te little red dot is on. Different surface textures and colors effect reading. You can have two completely different things at the same temperature and get two completely different readings. the guy giving the course said he carries tape around with him and uses that as a constant with a FLIR.

Last edited by Huskinhano (8/15/2018 2:21 PM)

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

8/19/2018 7:59 AM  #17

Sorry been off for awhile . The motor is a 93 5.0 block and heads ported by power heads ,  E303 cam , Edelbrock performer RPM intake , Demon 650 carb , HEI style dizzy , plugs gapped at .050 motorcraft COPPER now .

It is a new 3 row aluminum radiator and 3300cfm fan . I just swapped lower radiator hose to one with a spring in it to play it safe .

MS I don't think I would need to modify any water ports in this combo being it's a 93 block and heads . I did adjust timing alittle more but with all this rain haven't been able to drive her . I will keep you guys posted with my next cruise .

Thank you all for all the great advise .

8/19/2018 12:25 PM  #18

how is the water pump?

8/19/2018 12:43 PM  #19

Let my try this again, whose fan are you running?

8/19/2018 12:46 PM  #20

American muscle fan , water pump is new about month old .

8/19/2018 3:53 PM  #21

I had the same issue on my 66 Coupe with 302.  There was a restriction of water flow caused by an intake gasket.  Changed gasket and problem fixed.

www.quadmat.com  Butyl Sound Deadener & Insulation

8/19/2018 4:28 PM  #22

I did change gasket . Still ran hot . Hoping solved now but weather is killing me .

8/19/2018 6:29 PM  #23

Drove about 30 miles on the highway first 25 miles or so ran between 177-185 then temps started climbing got off highway around 208 then 214 by the time I got home. Cools down at idle within 10 min . Motor recently sat alittle over a year while front frame got done. Maybe need to flush the block ? Plugs look great light tan and clean .

8/19/2018 6:35 PM  #24

Do you have a spring in the lower radiator hose? What you describe is the same problem a friend had with his Ford. You see, when the engine slows down, the radiator pressure 'puffs' the hose back to normal size and flow isn't restricted. Try to squeeze the lower hose when it's cooled down-if it squeezes much at all, it's that spring, which is made of thin steel wire.

8/19/2018 6:46 PM  #25

The commonly available intake gaskets are for the engine you have.  I had to really look to find one for the older style heads.  All the ones commonly out there billed as being for "all Ford small blocks" are really for "all Ford small blocks from about '78 onwards".  Consequently I don't think that's your issue.

The reason I question the fan is because a lot of fans are billed as 3,300 cfm or more, but really move nowhere near that much air.  American Muscle, like the company that sells parts for '79-present Mustangs?  Can you give me a part number, etc.?  Or even just this, how big a fuse are you running for the fan? 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (8/19/2018 9:38 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.