FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/04/2017 9:58 PM  #1

SANDING DOWN TO METAL ON MY S10..IKNOWIMGONNASANDS10ANDSEEHOWITGOES

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT GRIT IS OK TO USE IT TRUCK IS A 1992 NAVY BLUE S10 AND THE CLEAR COAT IS PEELING OFF IN PLACES AND HAS HAD A LITTLE BONDO HERE AND THERE IT APPEARS. A FRIEND TOLD ME TO SAND IT DOWN TO METAL AND TO USE 180 GRIT ON A ORBITAL SANDER.
I BOUGHT SOME 180 GRIT AND IT DONT SEEM TO BE DOING TO SWOOFT....I BEEN READIND WHERE PEOPLE WERE USING 80 GRIT AND THEN GOING BACK OVER IT WITH 180. MY PLANS ARE JUST TO DO A FLAT BLACK PAINT JOB ON IT...I PUT A COWL INDUCTION HOOD ON AND A NEW SET OF CORVETTE RALLYS, ALL NEW LIGHTS,TAIL LIGHTS AND PARKING LIGHTS. BOUGHT A PAINTABLE FRONT BUMPER AND WILL BE PUTTING A ROLL PAN ON BACK. JUST GONNA BE A LITTLE RUN AROUND TRUCK.
MOST OF YOU KNOW ME AND KNOW I WILL BE PAINTING THE MUSTANG NET ...BUT KINDA WANTED TO TINKER AROUND WITH TRUCK TO PRACTICE ON A LITTLE AND KNEW THERE WERE SOME GOOD FOLK ON HERE THAT WOULD KNOW.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/05/2017 6:44 AM  #2

Re: SANDING DOWN TO METAL ON MY S10..IKNOWIMGONNASANDS10ANDSEEHOWITGOES

I took my stang to bare metal with 80grit and epoxy primed, body filler finished sand 180 and then high build 2K primer for blocking with 180.  I did finish blocking with 320

Last edited by mxjeffb (10/05/2017 6:48 AM)

8/15/2018 10:57 PM  #3

Unless you remove all the metal, youll never get it to lay down smooth unless you buy all new pieces.

8/16/2018 1:41 PM  #4

Richardsom wrote:

Unless you remove all the metal, youll never get it to lay down smooth unless you buy all new pieces.

If you remove all the metal tell me what's left to paint........a memory?

10/25/2018 4:20 PM  #5

On my 67 I used a wire wheel on my 4" grinder. Remember to wear safety glasses and such as when a wire cuts loose it can do damage.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

5/06/2019 12:00 AM  #6

Impossible to say with out pictures. Best practice is treat the job like you are fixing individual panels.  Take a breath and Dont overwhelm yourself.
Personally If you want to get an accurate gauge on each panel to see if there is filler. You can use a mill gauge and check the mill thickness of each panel. 92 If the vehicle didn't ever have any repair done to any panels the gauge should read about 8 to 10 mills That is within normal range. 20 is excessive but not unusual for custom paint jobs to be this thick. Say your ride is within 8to12 mills you are safe to repaint the car. If the gauge reads any Thicker and you increase the chance of chipping.

Last edited by True74yamaha (5/06/2019 12:05 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.