FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2013 12:08 PM  #1

Cleaning off old RTV silicone

Hey guys I'm cleaning up my intake and block to re-install it.  I previously installed it the way Mustang Steve recommends with only black rtv silicone on the front and rear instead of the cork gaskets, which worked great, but now I need to clean all of the old silicone off to prep it for re-install.

I got most of it off of the block with a razor blade, but there is still a paper thin layer I can't get off.  I haven't started cleaning it off of the aluminum intake yet for fear of gouging or shaving the aluminum with the razor blade.

Anybody know any cool tricks for cleaning this stuff off?

Last edited by Michael H. (8/14/2013 12:08 PM)

8/14/2013 12:12 PM  #2

Re: Cleaning off old RTV silicone

A very sharp 1" wood chisel works great.  You can push harder on it than you can on a razor blade.  Even quicker use a wire wheel on your grinder or drill.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/14/2013 12:16 PM  #3

Michael H. wrote:

Hey guys I'm cleaning up my intake and block to re-install it.  I previously installed it the way Mustang Steve recommends with only black rtv silicone on the front and rear instead of the cork gaskets, which worked great, but now I need to clean all of the old silicone off to prep it for re-install.

I got most of it off of the block with a razor blade, but there is still a paper thin layer I can't get off.  I haven't started cleaning it off of the aluminum intake yet for fear of gouging or shaving the aluminum with the razor blade.

Anybody know any cool tricks for cleaning this stuff off?

I use a rotary scotch pad disc...perfect for cleaning  up metal...be sure to protect all areas from flying debris....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

8/14/2013 1:21 PM  #4

Are those method safe on aluminum?

8/14/2013 1:53 PM  #5

8/14/2013 2:10 PM  #6

Michael H. wrote:

Are those method safe on aluminum?

YES, Excellent on aluminum...I use" Permatex The Right Stuff " (gray) aerosol  gasket maker...lay intake on for a look-see test fit to figure out how thick the bead has to be....jj 

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

8/14/2013 2:15 PM  #7

Plus 1 for the wire wheel. I bought one and it worked great on the intake and block. 

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

8/14/2013 8:34 PM  #8

i wire wheel iron steel and aluminum..no issues

8/14/2013 9:16 PM  #9

jerseyjoe wrote:

I use a rotary scotch pad disc...perfect for cleaning  up metal...be sure to protect all areas from flying debris....jj

+1... they are fast and safe

8/14/2013 9:57 PM  #10

JamesW wrote:

jerseyjoe wrote:

A couple of years ago someone on this forum told me not to use the little Scotch Bright pads in my die grinder to clean up heads and manifolds as they will eat away the metal.

Well, I guess they will if you aren't a little careful but I've used them twice to clean up manifold gasket Mustangsteve residue and  they are absolutely the best method I've ever used...just go easy and use a little gray matter.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/15/2013 12:13 AM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

JamesW wrote:

jerseyjoe wrote:

A couple of years ago someone on this forum told me not to use the little Scotch Bright pads in my die grinder to clean up heads and manifolds as they will eat away the metal.

Well, I guess they will if you aren't a little careful but I've used them twice to clean up manifold gasket Mustangsteve residue and  they are absolutely the best method I've ever used...just go easy and use a little gray matter.

BB

"Love that" What's this stuff Abby? Well Jeffro its Mustangsteve residue. 

Last edited by bulletbirdman (8/15/2013 12:15 AM)

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

8/15/2013 7:47 AM  #12

Bullet Bob, I think you may have just coined a new phrase... "MustangSteve Residue"

8/15/2013 10:28 AM  #13

I thought that was what you were left with after one of those...'actually...' events.

8/15/2013 8:25 PM  #14

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL...

I knew it was coming when I read BB's post, then the others sealed the deal..

And, Bullet, I do NOT remember saying that about not remembering stuff!

8/15/2013 8:56 PM  #15

MustangSteve wrote:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL...

I knew it was coming when I read BB's post, then the others sealed the deal..

And, Bullet, I do NOT remember saying that about not remembering stuff!

Would you like me to post the E-mail in which you made that statement?  I think It's still burried somewhere on this here machine.  Been laughing my fanny off ever since.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/15/2013 9:00 PM  #16

If you guys start using that term, you are going to scare off any newcomers...

" I did NOT place RTV on his manifold!"  or MSR for that matter...

8/15/2013 9:26 PM  #17

I think there's some mustangsteve residue on that T-shirt you sent me....

8/15/2013 9:29 PM  #18

JamesW wrote:

I think there's some mustangsteve residue on that T-shirt you sent me....

MSR....a new acronym James.

8/16/2013 6:31 AM  #19

Just wait until I get ahold of your yellow plug wires...

8/16/2013 2:48 PM  #20

This is a New Zealand web site. I'm pretty sure that product is not available in the U.S. 

Cut off as much as you can with a razor blade or a chizel (I too am partial to the chizel), then use Permatex RTV remover. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.