FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2018 4:06 AM  #1

500 edelbrock carb

Hello folks !  
i am trying to get one edelbrock 500 but i would ask , some info .before buy 
better with  :
electrick chocke  or not  . 

the avs 2  is better than standards ?   

i prefer choose the easyest to tune  . and engine is stock 

thanks !

11/12/2018 5:48 AM  #2

Re: 500 edelbrock carb

1403, electric chock, mechanical secondaries.  Get the 1486 tuning kit too.  The carb will bolt on and run fine, but for a stock 289 you will need to lean it out.  Simple carb, easy to tune, good price.

11/12/2018 6:55 AM  #3

I don’t have experience with the 500 cfm but I do have 2 600 cfm. Manual and electric. The electric choke versions tend to be more of the emission and fuel economy style and at least with my 600 jetted leaner. I would have preferred the 500 but I’m cheap and good deals came up on both 600’s. Although the 600 will work, stick with the 500. It’ll run better.

Getting the kit as TKO suggested is a good idea but you could try the carb as is and order the kit later. If you get the electric choke version, do not connect it to the coil. If you do, nether will perform at their best. Either hook the choke up to the stator terminal on the alternator as Ford did which is probably the best way or a switched power source with a relay with power coming off the battery, fused of course. Don’t use the wire harness in the car.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

11/12/2018 11:17 AM  #4

I would recommend the electric choke. Once it is set up it is get in drive and go. It is not anything to set up at all just a small adjustment. I think you will like the carb.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/12/2018 1:05 PM  #5

Yeah, I never had to touch the choke.  It worked perfect right out of the box.

It will definitely run out of the box, and pretty well, but I'm at low elevation and it was a bit too rich out of the box for my A code 289.  The stock carbs on those engines were only 435 cfm.  Pretty sure I'm two steps lean on the primary and one on the secondary from the factory calibration.  I like that setup, and so does the car.  The factory setup had it reeking of fuel, and it felt like I was giving up power over where it should have been. 

11/12/2018 1:49 PM  #6

Thanks for reply ! 
i made a previous post about leaning an autolite and i had really good feedback only changing 1 point from main jets , and new mixing screws .  Playing a little with advance and retard i run really nice , with more power at top end and less smog odor . The 4100 is running good but i still see some dirt all around the mechanical arms and suggest me that had done his time . i will keep it on shelf cause i like how it's easy to tune !
The  edelbrock 500 is just the cherry on cake .   I think i will go for electric choke and leave it disconnected for first adjust , then plug it .  The new alternator wiring already has the right connection for e choke.
Thanks ! 

11/12/2018 7:02 PM  #7

IF, indeed, the auto choke model is the "emissions carb".....go with the manual choke model!  Your 289 will thank you and manual chokes  are for MEN anyway.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/13/2018 4:11 AM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

IF, indeed, the auto choke model is the "emissions carb".....go with the manual choke model! Your 289 will thank you and manual chokes are for MEN anyway.
6sally6

lol !    teach me what is " the emission carb"  ? 
you are right  " manual choke is for men "  !!!     i got time to choose manual instead !   

11/13/2018 5:32 AM  #9

6sally6 wrote:

IF, indeed, the auto choke model is the "emissions carb".....go with the manual choke model! Your 289 will thank you and manual chokes are for MEN anyway.
6sally6

Oh 6sally6....

I'm so disappointed!  Chokes in any form are for little girls aren't they?

11/13/2018 9:40 AM  #10

I love the way the the three steps of choke work on a properly set up automatic choke, 670 Street Avenger!
 Here's how it works;
 key on,
 loud pedal to the floor, once,
 release pedal and stay off of it,
 engage starter,
 initial rpm is 1200,
 after about 30 seconds tap throttle,
 RPM drops to 1000.
 one minute later choke pulls off to curb idle with a throttle tap.
 RPM  is then at 850 in park, yes arthritic knees dictate an auto
 In gear RPM, 750.
 The car is then good to go with no further attention.

I have found that engines with no choke require frequent restarts, continual stabbing of the gas pedal to keep it running that  shoots raw gas into the engine washing away lubrication on the cylinder walls.

As for Carter carbs on a Ford - - blasphemy! 

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/13/2018 10:15 AM  #11

Here's how it works on the Edelbrock: I never touched the choke.  Its set how the carb came out of the box.  Three pumps of the accelerator pedal and it fires.  Idles at 1250RPM (where I set the adjustment for fast idle on the linkage).  Once warmed up, tap the throttle once and it idles at curb idle. 

As for blasphemy: "use only that which works and take it from wherever you find it." - Bruce Lee

11/13/2018 12:25 PM  #12

Just cus it works don't  make it right!
 Doubt if Lee even knew what a carb was.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/13/2018 1:48 PM  #13

You guys are wasting gas.  Turn on the electric fuel pump to fill up the carb float bowls, cause it all leaked out since you haven run it in a week. ( I forgot to mention that earlier ). Pump the throttle once. Start the engine, 1200 RPM. Tap the throttle once and it falls to 900 RPM. Put it in gear and bac out the garage then go. Stop at the STOP sign, don't run it. Idling 750 go to the next corner and turn to go on your way don't floor it, it's still to cold it might backfire and quit. Floor it at the next stop light then turn off the electric fuel pump.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/13/2018 4:53 PM  #14

Oh, so the Edelbrock is blasphemy, but an electric fuel pump is one of the seven sacraments?!

What is this new age religion?  We just make it up as we go?  Do whatever you feel?

11/13/2018 7:13 PM  #15

TKOPerformance wrote:

Oh, so the Edelbrock is blasphemy, but an electric fuel pump is one of the seven sacraments?!

What is this new age religion?  We just make it up as we go?  Do whatever you feel?

Yeah...pretty much!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.