FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2018 12:10 PM  #1

Crank up and die

Hello everyone. 68, stock 289, 3 speed, 4100 autolite.  It cranks up but dies, as if you turn the key off. Crank up and die. Until it catches and stays running. This has become more frequent and more tries before it catches. I checked the points and coil, they're getting spark. I put it back together it starts working again. I've had this happen to me before, but the problem just went away. Now it came back. First time it happened I unplug the connection under the steering column, eight or nine wire, and plugged it back up. So it might be ignition switch?
Thanks for your Help!

11/14/2018 1:04 PM  #2

Re: Crank up and die

Sounds like you need to be tracing out the run circuit.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/14/2018 2:26 PM  #3

Yup, what John said.   Sounds like you may have a bad Ign. Switch or a crappy connection between the pink Ign. wire and the firewall connector.  Or possibly a bad connection between the pink wire and the pigtail at the Ign. Switch.  Or maybe between the firewall connector and the coil.  Since it eventually "catches" I betting on a bad Ign. Switch.
The coil gets power from the "I" terminal of the solenoid during start but that drops out as soon as the key returns to RUN. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/14/2018 2:38 PM  #4

Thanks for all the help! I jumper wired the coil then jumped the starter solenoid. It cranked up and stayed running every time. So I figured it was and bought a new switch. But being old fashioned, when I pulled the wiring from the ignition switch I cleaned those terminals, cleaned female wiring harness with toothpick, put it back together. LOL It's cranked and stayed running 10 times in a row now. I'll keep the switch in the trunk. It is the one you replace your original key in.
Dang thang made me nervous at the convenience store so I reached out to the pros! Thank you everyone!

Last edited by daily driver (11/14/2018 2:39 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.