FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2018 9:39 AM  #1

Soft Pedal w/ Power Brakes (update 2)

1966 Mustang Coupe, 1988 5.0 HO, T5z, EFI, MAF, 4 wheel disc w/ booster

How should the brake pedal feel after a bleeding w/ a brake booster installed?  My pedal still feels soft. I can definitely drop it to the floor w/ ease.  And I know that's not supposed to happen.  Car isn't running yet so I can't test the brake booster as there isn't a vacuum on it.  I'm trying to narrow down the problems.  I checked all the connections and didn't see any leaks.  I even did a reverse brake bleeding to get all the air out of the line.  I know the most likely culprit of soft pedal is air in the line or leaks... I'll triple check everything but does anyone know how or if the break booster could play a part?  I have a proportioning valve installed from when the rear brakes were still drums.  Could that be a factor?

Update - 11/21/2018

Still chasing air in the line.  Really getting frustrated.
-Car has not been driven in 7 years.  Long term restoration project.
-2 years ago I did a front disc converstion w/ SSBC kit.
-Did the rear brake converstion w/ Summit racing kit last month. 
-2 chamber fluid brake fluid resevoir.
-Don't see any fluid leaks.

* tried to bleed all 4 wheels in correct order, still have soft pedal.
* Never got air out of the front brake lines
* Bleed master cylinder through front left caliper.  still soft pedal but stiffer
* Went back to rear wheels and bleed again.  a little stiffer pedal
* Went back to front wheels and pedal went soft again and still air in the line.
* Pulled master cylinder and did a bench bleed. Some air in MC, not a lot.
* Bleed wheels again, Pedal still soft, still got air in front brake lines.
* Pulled front wheels and checked fittings, Driverside brake line fitting to hose cracked so I replaced it.  Tightened up everything and bleed front brakes again. STILL have air in the line but pedal seems stiffer, doesn't bottom out.  (progress?)

Will pull rear wheels today and re-re-re check all fittings to rear brakes.  Car hasn't been driven so MC has only seen work by way of bleeding interaction.  It was new from the SSBC Kit and seemed fine when I did the bench bleed.  Possible MC is faulty but I doubt it.  Don't want to pay $80 but check if MC is the problem.   I'm running out of ideas.  Where the heck could this air be coming from?  NO WAY this much air was in the line after bleeding all 4 wheels and doing a bench bleed.  I've also tried gravety bleeding, and reverse injection bleeding.

I have this crazy idea of drilling a small hole in the MC over and mounting a air pressure barb.  Then use some zip ties to make sure the cap forms a good seal on the master cylinder.  Next I can put ~25lbs of air pressure in the master cylinder resevoir and that would force fluid out at the leak point.  This seems drastic.  Any of you old timers think of a better way to track down  leak in the system?

Update - 12/3/2018

Good news: I have wheel locking brakes!  The car isn't running so I can't truly test them yet but with the pedal depresessed I couldn't turn any of the wheels w/ all my weight trying to rotate them.  E-brake is adjusted to the point of the rear wheels locking as well.  No air in any of the brake lines when bleeding.  Brake pedal is firm.  Seems like my problem was the rear e-brake wasn't adjusted correctly causing their to be too much travel in the rear calipers leading to the spongy feeling.

The bad news: I feel like I have too much pedal travel.  I have to press the pedal all the way down to get a hard stop.  I'm not sure how wrong this is because my only point of reference is modern cars.  Also, w/ the car not running and no vaccumm I can't check the impact of power brakes.  I'm looking into what pedal adjustment options I have if any.

thanks

Last edited by TremendousWand (12/03/2018 8:12 AM)

11/14/2018 1:01 PM  #2

Re: Soft Pedal w/ Power Brakes (update 2)

With the lines bled out and the booster acting like it’s supposed to, the brake pedal should be firm to hard to push with the car not running. My pedal doesn’t travel very far either without a lot of effort with the motor not running.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/14/2018 1:16 PM  #3

If the car is not running the booster simply don't work and the only feelings from the booster will be the light counter spring in it . 
the booster will help you ( WHILE RUNNING) to push with less force the  pedal and have more braking power.
To be clear you don't encrease your breaking power , you have less effort on pedal  and by conseguence you can push more .
if you go with pedal to end you have some leaks or air is still in .
Proportioning valve doesn t' matter  , but if is  old  oem one i should replace it . 
I lost a lot of time taking air out  . Only when is hard and can not go more than half pedal travel you will be sure you have done the purge .

11/14/2018 3:39 PM  #4

Looks like I need to look try bleeding the breaks again and then check for leaks.  

11/14/2018 4:55 PM  #5

Not sure where you are in the disc brake conversion.  The emergency brakes need to be cycled (if they are a Ford type anyway, to push the pads close to the rotor.  If they are all the way open you may not have enough fluid from your master cylinder to close the gap.

While it is likely that the brake rod on the booster is properly adjusted, you should check this anyway.  If it is out too far and not letting the master fully retract you may not get full pedal when trying to bleed.  This can cause other problems when you try to drive it.  If the rod is too short, you will be wasting a lot of pedal movement with no response from the master because of the pedal ratio.  There are a number of threads dealing with this but ideally you want perhaps .010" inches clearance (10 thousands) for it to function properly.

If the e-brakes are fully adjusted and the master is set properly then it is likely air still in the system (especially if you route any lines above the M/C) or you have a bad M/C, or you were not successful when you bench bled the M/C.  Repeated bleeding of the lines and possibly reverse bleeding may not clear a chunk of air in the M/C.

That's all I can think of - good luck.

11/15/2018 8:18 AM  #6

The rear pads are sitting pretty.  I don't think they are the problem.  They are just barely touching the rotor and the rotor can still spin.  The e-brake does need to get adjusted.  I had to put a lot of preload on the e-brake cable and fully pull the e-brake handle to get the wheels to lock.  That means I need to adjust the ebrake lever on the calipers.  It's a PITA but at least it's only an adjustment at this point and not a failure.  Once I get brake pedal issue resolved I'll circle back and adjust the e-brake again.

11/16/2018 2:10 PM  #7

In order to better help with this:
What car?
What brakes?
What booster?
What MC?
What brake pedal?
Are these add-on aftermarket parts?  If so, from where?
Pics of the brakes would help.

Cannot intelligently make any suggestions without knowing what parts we are talking about.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/16/2018 2:27 PM  #8

MS wrote:

In order to better help with this:
What car?
What brakes?
What booster?
What MC?
What brake pedal?
Are these add-on aftermarket parts?  If so, from where?
Pics of the brakes would help.

Cannot intelligently make any suggestions without knowing what parts we are talking about.

1966 Mustang, 5.0 HO, T5z. Front  SSBC Disc Brakes conversion, Rear Summit Racing disc brake conversion.  

Looks like the problem was air in the Master Cylinder.  Will update.

11/20/2018 10:29 PM  #9

Did you bench bleed your master cylinder?

11/21/2018 9:24 AM  #10

I had something similar happen with my brakes, I had bled and bled and rechecked till I was sick of it. I finally was so pissed off that I just hit the brake pedal with my foot and pressed it as hard as I could. When I did that I felt a pop and then the pedal felt better, I bled the brakes again and filled the reservoir and the brakes worked fine. I think that something in the proportioner was stuck, I've had good brake every since! Just a thought
Keith

1965 Notchback, 8.8 rear end, T-5, Diy Front Struts, Shelby Drop, Bumpsteer Kit

11/21/2018 8:40 PM  #11

As others have pointed out it is hard to assess power brakes w/no vacuum on the booster.
I’ll offer that if you do not see any fluid leaks, the brake line system, including the calipers, are not leaking, and air is not leaking in from those items.
Just to review some basics …
-  The caliper bleeds must be facing up at the highest point of the caliper to allow all the air to bleed out.
-  When you perform the bleed via pumping the brake pedal, be sure to close the bleed before the pedal is lifted or air can be sucked back into the system.

Based on the data provided, I’d focus on the MC as the most likely problem.  If the MC sat around w/o fluid in it, the plunger and seals may have dried out.
You may want to consider connecting a vacuum line from another car to the Mustang’s booster and see what happens.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/27/2018 11:47 AM  #12

What diameter piston does the MC have?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.