FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2018 7:20 PM  #26

Re: Mufflers for my 66

6sally6 wrote:

Tom.......I had a pair of the Summit brand turbo muffs several years ago. They were pretty quiet even though they dumped in front of the axle. (no X-pipe)  So quiet...I swapped them for the Blowmaster 40's.
I have them installed now with an X-pipe and exiting at the rear bumper. They are NOT loud and no drone (my ears can detect). Now....I have added sound dampening in the trunk and  behind the back seat. Also under the back seat and double thickness carpet and that stick-on water proofing stuff throughout the cabin area as well as sound dampening in the doors.
You ever come to the beach I will give you a ride.

Sal, seems easier to just use decent mufflers rather than all those bandaids stuck everywhere...
I know.   You can’t hear it either way.
6sal6

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/24/2018 11:49 PM  #27

does anyone have a picture of the caddy muffler installed on their first generation mustang I would really like to a installation from the bottom side.

12/24/2018 11:54 PM  #28

There have been several pics posted.
Search QUIET FLOW

12/25/2018 4:38 AM  #29

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/25/2018 6:42 PM  #30

I have Dynaflows on my 65 with 2-1/4" exhaust using an H-pipe and they're loo loud for my taste.  So at some point I'm going to swap them out.  Not sure I can fit the Caddy mufflers in there if they have to be mounted a little sideways, without revising my exhaust pipe routing. 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

10/06/2020 3:56 PM  #31

MS wrote:

I would like to take a survey, because I have a theory on who likes their car to go down the highway quietly and who likes it really loud.

Have you driven your car on a long road trip, like going to a bash?  If so, do you enjoy loud mufflers that stifle conversation and create drone, just for the joy of hearing the engine roar?

Do you enjoy a quieter, more civilized, but still a performance sound?

My hypothesis is those who have really loud cars only drive them to local events for a short distance, and they enjoy hearing the sound of the engine more than a need for conversation.

I know we have one long hauler that goes for the loudness, even though others in the car don't care for it.  What is your situation?  I am not biased either way.  It is your car and you can have it as loud as you want as long as it doesn't wake me up from my bed!  I like loud too, for a few minutes, but can't tolerate it on a long trip.
Make a reply post and let us know what your preference is, and if you take your car on long road trips.  Like 300 miles or more in a day.

Did your get your survey started?
Just a wondering.

10/06/2020 4:09 PM  #32

Ok
Ok

10/06/2020 6:12 PM  #33

jkordzi wrote:

I have Dynaflows on my 65 with 2-1/4" exhaust using an H-pipe and they're loo loud for my taste.  So at some point I'm going to swap them out.  Not sure I can fit the Caddy mufflers in there if they have to be mounted a little sideways, without revising my exhaust pipe routing. 

You got a old Buick transmission in your Mustang????  Oh...you mean Dyna Max muffins.  I thought about trying those.  I have been running a set of FM-50s that I shortened 2" to make 'em fit better.  Not as bad as the Magot Flows that I had on first but still not good.  I now have a set of Quiet Flow number 22430 which are 2" in and out so I'll be building a completely new system.  Yeah, yeah, I know,  it's gonna gag and puke and be restricted to only 10-15 HP but you know...they ran 2" systems on the 429's back in the day so it will prolly be okay on a mild 5.0.  Also, it will be easier to get it up where it belongs 'stead of hanging down.  I know that JoshKbob is running these mufflers with a 2" system and is pretty happy with it so far.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.