FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2018 6:42 PM  #1

Mustang II conversion

Has anyone ever done a Mustang II conversion using original MII parts. If so what's involved? I've found a MII that would possibly be a good donor or a low buck hot rod.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

11/29/2018 7:15 PM  #2

Re: Mustang II conversion

I'm sure there have been a number of original MII frontends put in various cars, just like all the CV front ends going in early Ford Pick-ups.  Otherwise, there wouldn't be a zillion aftermarket providers making the things.  Butt (TS&"T) I don't know anyone who has actually installed an original in an early Mustang.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/29/2018 11:24 PM  #3

Ok, I'll ask. Why do you want to install it? Big 'ol late model engine, damage to the front structure of your Mustang, the cost of MII front suspension, or just cuz you wanna?

By doing the Arning upper control arm drop and using the roller pieces, you can get any early Mustang to handle petty darn well.

Just saying...

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/30/2018 6:51 AM  #4

Well, that was done back before kits were out. It was just the drag race guys doing it for extra header room or bigger motors. While the Mustang was built off the cheap Falcon platform, the MII is for a cheap car too. Designed around a small diameter 13” wheel and small tire, all the components are crammed around the axle center line getting in the way.  The MII has it’s faults too. Short control arms, short spindles and very limited travel. In stock form it does have slightly better geometry but once you lower the upper arm on the Mustang, the Arning drop, the Mustang has better geometry.

Do a few simple things to the Mustang’s suspension and they can handle really well for not a lot of money. There’s just far more aftermarket support for the stock Mustang suspension then the MII.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

11/30/2018 7:13 AM  #5

There's no reason to swap to a MII for handling.  It always was, always will be a street rod type suspension whose sole purpose is to eliminate the shock towers.  Interestingly most street rods now use something else.  Why?  Simple; its dated technology.  It was new and high tech when it first came out, and was easy to find in wrecking yards for the following couple decades, but now?  The newest MII is 40 years old. 

The stock Mustang design is actually quite good for handling once the Shelby/Arning drop is done.  Then its just a case of how good you want it to handle vs. ride quality.  Of course, without stiffening the chassis with subframe connectors, etc. its all kind of an academic exercise. 

11/30/2018 8:33 AM  #6

rpm wrote:

Ok, I'll ask. Why do you want to install it? Big 'ol late model engine, damage to the front structure of your Mustang, the cost of MII front suspension, or just cuz you wanna?

By doing the Arning upper control arm drop and using the roller pieces, you can get any early Mustang to handle petty darn well.

Just saying...

Answer...I don't know. I saw this thing sitting there and thought about it. It's in good shape, doesn't run, so somethings going to get done with it.

11/30/2018 9:36 AM  #7

A Mustang II sitting that doesn't run?  Target practice seems the most prudent use...

11/30/2018 1:50 PM  #8

The factory put 5.0 V-8’s in MII’s. Put a small Windsor of some type with a 5 speed in that MII and you will have a peppy little car. The only reason people didn’t like the MII was that few of them had V-8’s. The MII’s were at least as good looking as the SN95’s.

11/30/2018 3:33 PM  #9

Ugh, gotta disagree with that.  Its a matter of personal taste, but to me the SN95 was a good looking car.  The Mustang II was an abortion, almost literally.  I guess we have its success to thank for the name continuing until it could get back on its feet as a proper performance car in the '80s though. 

11/30/2018 5:03 PM  #10

TKOPerformance wrote:

A Mustang II sitting that doesn't run?  Target practice seems the most prudent use...

That was my second thought. That could very well happen.

11/30/2018 5:23 PM  #11

You east coast folks might be guilty of excessively narrow thinking. Only one person has to like a vehicle to make it a candidate for a bitchin’ hot rod.

11/30/2018 9:27 PM  #12

I'm with ye Hornman!(trust me )  I have seen a couple with a killer engine......narrowed rear end with "big-fat-unz" nice stance ....nice Lenco tranny and I'd swap the old hot rod for it!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/01/2018 7:20 AM  #13

Oh, for sure anyone should build whatever vehicle suits their fancy.  I'd never say otherwise.  There is a small, but loyal following for the Mustang II. 

I'm just saying, personally, target practice get's my vote. 

12/01/2018 9:48 AM  #14

Well decision made...I'm not doing anything with it, not even target practice. The future is bright though it may end up as a really cool auto cross hot rod. Who knew.?

12/01/2018 9:59 AM  #15

TKOPerformance wrote:

Tell me where and I'll bring my .45

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

12/01/2018 11:23 AM  #16

Gotta be an abandoned quarry or something nearby.  I'll bring a couple ARs and about 1,000 rounds of ammo if someone else will bring the beer. 

12/01/2018 1:26 PM  #17

TKOPerformance wrote:

Gotta be an abandoned quarry or something nearby.  I'll bring a couple ARs and about 1,000 rounds of ammo if someone else will bring the beer. 

Better not drive your Subie to the quarry. There’s probably folks that can’t tell the difference between the Subie and the MII.

12/01/2018 1:32 PM  #18

TKOPerformance wrote:

Guns and beer.........intelligent combo.....

12/01/2018 3:02 PM  #19

josh-kebob wrote:

I guess that means you don't want to hear any related stories from back in my copper days. 

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/01/2018 3:16 PM  #20

No one can mistake a Subie for a Mustang II, not anyone that could hit anything with a gun anyway

And the beer is for AFTER the shooting. 

12/01/2018 5:19 PM  #21

josh-kebob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Lots of beer and full auto was the most fun I have ever had.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

12/01/2018 8:16 PM  #22

TKOPerformance wrote:

No one can mistake a Subie for a Mustang II, not anyone that could hit anything with a gun anyway

And the beer is for AFTER the shooting. 

OK, I feel better now. 'Cause both at the same time is no bueno!

As an aside there's a range near me that does full auto Friday's. It's fun 99$ for an hour + plus ammo. We did it for a team building exercise at work was a blast.

I also brought my kiddo along  https://youtu.be/7Ny2RODragI

12/01/2018 9:20 PM  #23

RV6 wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Lots of beer and full auto was the most fun I have ever had.

This would be a good time to remind everyone you live on top of a remote mountain and don’t get out much.

12/02/2018 6:27 AM  #24

Living on top of a mountain with a bunch of full autos why would you ever want to go out anyway?  Nowadays I get all my ammo via UPS. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.