FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2018 7:20 PM  #101

Re: Gaba’s AOD rebuild project

I thought it way the other way around. Dump the cast and go steel when I did the 67. I settled with what I had (cast). Don't need 600hp, just a plan clever.

11/20/2018 8:57 AM  #102

Bullet Bob wrote:

I find all of this very interesting, Gaba.  I'm wondering when you put the 600hp engine in your car and have you completed the tub project so you can get those 12" meats under there?  Also, are you planning to have the kids and Mom riding along when you stop at the drag strip on the way to the Bash?

Just wondering....

Yes and yes!!!! :D :D .. hahahaha... Just know I am not spending any extra money on these things.. :D Its stuff I had already sourced by accident or luck :D .. .I have spent 100 bucks total in ordered parts including the shift kit, sonnax upgrades and getting it cleaned and such till now  .. I am doing things frugal here! but best frugal build possible LOL

ALSO

Built my parts list last night and now its out to the people I want quotes from. Instead of straight away buying kits , I am looking to see if I can get hand picked kits for what exactly I need.. so as to MAY BE save some money. I will let y'all know how that goes.

Last edited by Gaba (11/20/2018 9:03 AM)

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

11/30/2018 11:07 AM  #103

Forward progress!! The hand picked kit was ordered and it saved me upwards of $200 !!!!!! I am excited about that!!

Ordered it from Dan @ silverFox Performance Transmissions. He has been very helpful during this process aswering a ton of questions for me.

He sells rebuild kits, transmissions and valve bodies from his business.. He actually is one of the couple people who support wide ratio gearing on their valve bodies . I did not opt for it though. I went with my own after taking advice from him on things.. I could have bought a pretuned a $300 valve body set to match wide ratio AOD, but i saved that cash  and did my own as yall know

The stuff I ordered though:

REV SERVO 2 GROOVE     1
REV SERVO COVER     1
AOD A+ SONNAX SUPER SERVO     1
REVERSE BAND     1
Band AODE Overdrive 1992-UP 2" Pro Series       1
Filter, AOD 2wd 1980-93         1
GASKET KIT AOD 80-93 ttk     1
WASHER KIT     1
HIGH ENERGY GROOVED (BLACK) INT     4
HIGH ENERGY GROOVED (BLACK) DIRECT     6
HIGH ENERGY FWD/REV     9
2-3 ACCUMULATOR 1
LOW REVERSE ONE WAY 1
NOT CHANGING MY BUSHINGS by the way... they are all good! 

All this $440 shipped! :D so cheaper than the PATC kit which has a lot I need , and a lot I dont.. plus missing some other things.. so all that to say hand picking what I need helped  a lot!! (ofcourse taking pro builder's advice on if I am missing something)

All this reaches to me in 10 days or so. All I am left with to buy is the conversion kit for the fitting AOD into my car. Which inludes the TV cable, and all the adapters that make sure the TV cable hooks up and works correctly with the Holley carb.. , shifter crow / arm to match the shifter pattern on the 65 shifter. Transmission mount/crossmember, correct speedo gear, tranmission lines, and transmission cooler. This short list is the most expensive part of the build.. which if I could fabricate would have cost me may be half.. and a lot of time. but I am trading time for money in  this one, and and buying premade tried and true stuff .. :D Good thing is I dont have to have it NOW!! it can wait to be saved for while the build finishes

Onwards!! .. !!

11/30/2018 11:11 AM  #104

Here is some info, from Kenneth Collins "Bad Shoe Productions"
"Question: Can an AOD cast forward clutch drum’s input shaft be swapped into a 4R70W steel forward drum?
I haven’t seen much on the internet about this concern so I ran out to my shop to check my stock of parts and see for myself. Here’s what I discovered. The difference is the spline depth on the steel drum is about .150” longer than the cast drum. Therefore when I pressed the old shaft into the steel drum, it stopped about .100” from being flush with drum’s flat surface (because the shorter shaft splines stopped it from pressing flush). With the shaft is not driven flush (as it is on the cast drum) the input splines will go deeper into the converter. Normally the converter doesn’t run all the way into the pump because the flywheel pulls it out just a little bit when bolted up. Therefore that .100“-.150” may not be a concern. I checked around and found an AOD steel drum and pressed out it’s shaft. This shaft has about .200” longer splines which allows it to go deeper into the steel drum letting it ride flush with the drum face. Therefore the swap can be done but I would say it’s not a good idea. The repressed shaft may not be as tight and there’s no performance gain with a steel forward drum anyway. "

Last edited by Gaba (11/30/2018 11:11 AM)

12/14/2018 11:21 AM  #105

The rebuild kit comes in today!!!!!!! Yaaay!!!!!!!!!! Getting very close y’all!!!!!

12/23/2018 8:29 PM  #106

https://youtu.be/-yBVmNLBqgY

Video update of my AOD build

Front pump is done

Reverse drum is done

Next is forward drum !! ;)

For anyone who is still following my madness

12/23/2018 9:05 PM  #107

I'm waiting till you're done. I'll need some instructions to do mine.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

12/23/2018 9:17 PM  #108

A mechanical diode, well aren't you uppity.  Mine will need a rebuild before you're done buddy. Just messing with you Gaba.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/24/2018 8:42 AM  #109

rpm wrote:

A mechanical diode, well aren't you uppity.  Mine will need a rebuild before you're done buddy. Just messing with you Gaba.

Oh not just a mechanical diode .... a mechanical diode with a sonnax spiral locking ring staked in place with a locking ring cup !!!! Hahahhahaha haha!!!

I know I am doing it slow :D... but hey I am having fun!! :D

Also look at some other fun pics I am taking along the way

12/27/2018 12:13 AM  #110

I see you installed the latest mod to prevent the snap ring from coming loose. The new ring and cup assembly. The mechanical diode is also called a sprag clutch. Too bad you are so far along in your rebuild. I have quite a few discs and steels and other items I didn't need in my rebuild that may fit yours. You probably have all the stuff you need now. I hope you contacted Bullet Bob to borrow his rebuild jig and special tools for your overhaul. It came in very handy when I did mine.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/27/2018 8:20 AM  #111

Ron68 wrote:

I see you installed the latest mod to prevent the snap ring from coming loose. The new ring and cup assembly. The mechanical diode is also called a sprag clutch. Too bad you are so far along in your rebuild. I have quite a few discs and steels and other items I didn't need in my rebuild that may fit yours. You probably have all the stuff you need now. I hope you contacted Bullet Bob to borrow his rebuild jig and special tools for your overhaul. It came in very handy when I did mine.

Thank you!! Yes!! I do have Bullet Bob’s jigs to rebuild this!! That’s how I got the confidence that may be I can do it with the right tools!!!

I do have most of what I need ... instead of ordering a kit , I ordered just exactly what I needed (of course all paper rubber parts) .. that saved me a bunch, to be able to get a new torque converter (just stock reman) so I don’t ever wonder what went into this transmission

12/27/2018 11:31 AM  #112

Glad it's going well for you, Gaba.  Having the proper tools makes all the difference.  Any chance you'll be done with those tools by mid summer?  I may need them for my 4R70W project in the fall of '19.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/27/2018 2:08 PM  #113

Bullet Bob wrote:

Any chance you'll be done with those tools by mid summer?  I may need them for my 4R70W project in the fall of '19.BB

Yeah, good luck with that Bob! I've already tried and failed

I also used a sonnax spiral locking ring, and while reading up on them found that removing them pretty much renders them useless. Guess that means they're in there pretty good.

12/27/2018 7:20 PM  #114

Bullet Bob wrote:

Glad it's going well for you, Gaba.  Having the proper tools makes all the difference.  Any chance you'll be done with those tools by mid summer?  I may need them for my 4R70W project in the fall of '19.

BB

Yes sir!!!! I just got done with all drums and output shaft rebuild .. I will have it all done in a few weeks just waiting for install.

as soon as I am done , I will send them your way

I have extra spiral lock rings and cups , I got the 3 pack... I can send you those

If you want I can send you the 4R pump I have here , and input drum too that I am not going to use
You let me know

Thanks

12/27/2018 9:19 PM  #115

Tell ya what...There's no real rush on that stuff as I was mostly just yankin' your chain. LOL

I'm not even sure that I am going to need to rebuild this trans and may just stuff it in and see what happens.  However, If you have 4R70W parts that you are sure your will not use, I will buy them from you...just ship them with the tool kit if they'll fit in the box. 

All I really plan to do is check it out, change out the external seals, put in a new filter and try it.  It came from a running car so...........

But then again, they are kind of fun to work on so maybe.....?

Thanks Gaba,

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/28/2018 1:10 AM  #116

Bullet Bob wrote:

Tell ya what...There's no real rush on that stuff as I was mostly just yankin' your chain. LOL

I'm not even sure that I am going to need to rebuild this trans and may just stuff it in and see what happens.  However, If you have 4R70W parts that you are sure your will not use, I will buy them from you...just ship them with the tool kit if they'll fit in the box. 

All I really plan to do is check it out, change out the external seals, put in a new filter and try it.  It came from a running car so...........

Thanks Gaba,

BB

Got my trans from a wrecked vehicle in a wrecking yard. It was driving when wrecked. I opened it up anyway and found a broken spring and burnt clutch plates.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/28/2018 8:02 AM  #117

Ron68 wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

Thanks Gaba,

BB

Got my trans from a wrecked vehicle in a wrecking yard. It was driving when wrecked. I opened it up anyway and found a broken spring and burnt clutch plates.

Hey trans is a box of cho-co-lates......... lmao ;)

Some more pics of what I was working on yesterday.. putting Bullet Bob’s jigs to good use .

Forward drum :

OD or direct drum—- this is a humbling story.. got it all together , and then by God’s grace stumbled upon the info to realize I had gotten cocky and stopped looking at my build video lessons and the book, and forgot the inner lip seal on the piston in this drum. Because that seal install on the center post of the drum and not the piston itself . So ... I then went back and redid that drum fully .. thankfully... it’s all done and air checked now . Phew!

12/28/2018 8:04 AM  #118

Oh, I hear ya, Ron.  My AOD was working fine in the TC when I pulled it.  Found some burned clutches and one bushing about ready to fail.  I'll prolly have to pull that 4R70W down and take a look at least.

BB

1/09/2019 10:36 AM  #119

So the build is going along very well!! the drums are all in.. and here is a video to prove it.. ( i made this video to ask a question on the facebook transmission forum, specifically Dan from silverfox transmissions) . The question here was about the squeaking noise.. but thats normal as I find out-- it is the roller one way (1st gear one way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaqKbsxBCUI

Sonnax billet OD servo is ground down perfectly to size for my AOD's travel.. The end play is ocming a bit loose for intermediate clutches (1.656--1.660") , where it is supposed to be (1.636--1.646"). I asked and read around, and there seems to be a consensus that too loose (to a point) iintermediate clutch pack causes less issues than a too tight.. The difference is so little, that a thicker clutch band may be too thick.. and put me out of spec too tight.. Anyway.. so now that I know, next time I touch the transmission ,, its OD and reverse servo install, pump install , and manual shifter crow and then valve body install. All just bolt up things .. it is coming to a close soon!! YAAY!!

Last edited by Gaba (1/09/2019 10:37 AM)

1/09/2019 1:25 PM  #120

Ya Gaba, I wouldn't worry about the clearance either. And if it becomes an issue, at least the intermediate clutch is the first thing you get to after removing the pump.

1/17/2019 12:29 PM  #121

its all together but the valve body! :D

getting the torque converter this week
the conversion kit is on its way from mustang depot ..
Transmission cooler lines are on the way too ( premade for AOD in 65) .. YES I AM LAZY
All I need to buy is a trans cooler, and an aluminum radiator to compolete this upgrade

Last edited by Gaba (1/17/2019 12:30 PM)

1/17/2019 1:08 PM  #122

You're young enough Gaba to take your time rebuilding the trans. I'd have to read everthing again to remember the process if I took this long

Gaba wrote:

Will do a A+ servo upgrade .

Were you able to use your hands to compress the A+ servo spring? I wasn't able to, had to make a lever to compress it.

1/17/2019 1:23 PM  #123

rpm wrote:

You're young enough Gaba to take your time rebuilding the trans. I'd have to read everthing again to remember the process if I took this long

Gaba wrote:

Will do a A+ servo upgrade .

Were you able to use your hands to compress the A+ servo spring? I wasn't able to, had to make a lever to compress it.

I am re-reading too LOL
thankfully a buddy wanted to see what I was doing. So he was such great help!! he used the butt end of a rubber hammer to push it down with all his weight while I got the clip in

The sonnax Billet servo ( i dont know if thats what you used) has such  a hard spring.. yes I did follow resizing instructions

Last edited by Gaba (1/17/2019 1:35 PM)

1/17/2019 1:43 PM  #124

I used a Superior Performance A+ servo. It hits OD real firm with the 1-1/2" band.

Last edited by rpm (1/17/2019 1:46 PM)

1/17/2019 1:46 PM  #125

rpm wrote:

I used a Superior Performance A+ servo. It hits OD real firm with the 1-1/2" band.

that pic didnt post.. somehing wrong with the link

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.