FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2018 11:00 AM  #1

Torque boxes in a 1966 mustang coupe

Anyone add torque boxes to their 65 or 66 coupe/ fastback? We are currently doing floor pans and considering adding them in. Just wondering what experience and opinions others out there have regarding difficulty of installation as well as stiffening results.

8/20/2018 9:56 AM  #2

Re: Torque boxes in a 1966 mustang coupe

Well, we ordered one and will post what are experience is as we install it in case anyone has interest or wonders about fitment etc..

8/29/2018 9:33 AM  #3

So far there has been alot of adjustment to get the torque box in. We separated it into 2 pieces as this seems to be what most people that have done it recommend. It is a real bear and I woudn't try it if you weren't already replacing the floor pan and floor support at the same time.
My son and I are working on this, I will post a timelapse or breakdown of the whole process when I can.

8/29/2018 2:50 PM  #4

I added a torque box to my 67. They are money well spent and it was a royal PITA to install.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/04/2018 8:49 AM  #5

Wow, this has been a pain. Lots of cutting modifying and fitting. Bolted to Floor, what did you paint or coat the inside and face adjacent to the floor pan with. We were going to use POR15, but may just use a good coat of Rustoleum or bed liner. 
I am concerned about the floor pan(toe board laying against the torque box and trapping moisture and eventually rust in that space. It fits pretty good, but there is still going to be a little gaps here and there between the two pieces.
Suggestions or thoughts welcome

9/04/2018 6:34 PM  #6

Wow, talk about testing the memory.....that’s been several years back. I will have to look through pictures to confirm but I don’t think I sprayed anything in that area. That side got a short floor pan, toe kick, torque box, and piece of a firewall.

After I was done, the interior area got coated with CRC cold galvanizing conpound. The sheet metal to the exterior all got painted.

With a small space, you would need a thin paint that can flow and get down that far.

If you’re worried about rust and still need to do some welding in the area, I would suggest a weld through primer like most of the parts come coated in.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/09/2018 6:05 PM  #7

I would use seam sealer on and panels that butt up against another it can also be painted.

12/25/2018 12:51 AM  #8

Hello -

Are all battery boxes the same, or were there different types between S1 & S2 or SWB & LWB ? I suspect not, but just asking

Paul

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.