FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2018 9:18 PM  #1

Noise after AOD Swap

Ok so I get this noise now. After I finally got my car back from the shop (took forever) who did the AOD Swap for me.. . I don’t get this sound  on cold starts to start the day only happens after driving for say 20 minutes shutting the car off then restarting it up again it happens immediately.. when I drive about a mile down the road it goes away or maybe becomes really faint(my cars a little loud).. I think it’s the flexplate,torque converter, maybe both or maybe even the starter? Have you all heard something like this.. really just sux.
here is a youtube link I uploaded thanx   https://youtu.be/c0EbyHXoFO4

Last edited by Vicfonz (12/15/2018 3:01 AM)

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

12/15/2018 8:38 AM  #2

Re: Noise after AOD Swap

When I pulled the car apart to do a major re-restoration after about 15K miles on my 5.0/AOD I found that my aluminum block plate had warped and had been rubbing on the TC.  I never heard it but, then, I never hear a lot of stuff.  When I put the car back together I used a new steel block plate. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/16/2018 11:38 PM  #3

I have the biggest feeling its the block plate on mine as well...im going to see the trans guy this week and try to get this settled

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

1/18/2019 3:26 PM  #4

well I was right.. turns out the top of the block plate was hitting the weight on the flywheel..so the top was slightly but out so its fixed!..time to start cruising!

1/19/2019 12:20 PM  #5

Vicfonz wrote:

..time to start cruising!

Cool! You gonna drive it to the Bash?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/25/2019 4:35 PM  #6

haha I wish...Michigan is a wee tad bit out there lol

rpm wrote:

Vicfonz wrote:

1/25/2019 6:13 PM  #7

Vicfonz wrote:

Huh? I'm up the road in Bako, and this was 2 years ago's Bash in Ft Walton Beach FL. Clinton MI is about 3 miles further than FWB. C'mon man! 

1/25/2019 6:52 PM  #8

To paraphrase Mochaman…..Nut up and drive that thing.

Here's RPM's Mach and the Heap at nearly 12K feet on the way to Florida in 2016.  Join the fun, nobody will leave you by the side of the road...don' ax how I know.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/25/2019 7:00 PM  #9

Bullet Bob wrote:

Here's RPM's Mach and the Heap at nearly 12K feet on the way to Florida in 2016.  Join the fun, nobody will leave you by the side of the road...don' ax how I know.

Hey, cool.........I been there!!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/25/2019 7:55 PM  #10

Yes you have, Mike.  Butt (TS&T) not in your 66...yet.

BB

1/25/2019 9:22 PM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

Yes you have, Mike.  Butt (TS&T) not in your 66...yet.BB

Ya, that rarely seen or driven 66. 

1/28/2019 12:05 AM  #12

hahahha! thats awesome! now you got me thinkin! lol

rpm wrote:

Vicfonz wrote:

Huh? I'm up the road in Bako, and this was 2 years ago's Bash in Ft Walton Beach FL. Clinton MI is about 3 miles further than FWB. C'mon man!

1/28/2019 12:07 AM  #13

great pic!.. this trip sounds very tempting!..im gonna bring it up to the wife see what she tells me lol

6sally6 wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

6s6

1/28/2019 1:13 AM  #14

Vicfonz wrote:

great pic!.. this trip sounds very tempting!..im gonna bring it up to the wife see what she tells me lol

6sally6 wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

6s6

If you can get her to say "Yes", she'll tell you "Thank you"
I've seen the stuff RPM carries with him ..... ya wont have a problem.
Seriously, if you can make it, get there. I regret all the Bashes I couldn't make.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/28/2019 11:37 PM  #15

lol im working on it..got her thinking!

50vert wrote:

Vicfonz wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6s6

If you can get her to say "Yes", she'll tell you "Thank you"
I've seen the stuff RPM carries with him ..... ya wont have a problem.
Seriously, if you can make it, get there. I regret all the Bashes I couldn't make.

1/29/2019 12:42 AM  #16

Vicfonz wrote:

rpm wrote:

Vicfonz wrote:

Calif to Michigan - 4 days from NorCal.  I've done it at least 4 times.  Maybe 4 1/2 from SoCal.  Depends on how long you want to spend on the road driving each day.  And I'm doing it again in August.  Not the hot rod though.  My wife wants more creature comforts, so the GT gets the nod.  I'm not sorry.  I like the comforts of life too!

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/29/2019 7:17 AM  #17

That's why I built the Heap the way I did.  I made it comfortable so that I rarely hear any noise from the area of the passenger seat.  We have done over 550 mile day (not something I like in any vehicle) two or three times.  Her only comment was, "not really any worse than any other vehicle."  I consider that to be High Praise.  When I look over and see her taking a little snooze with the seat leaned back, I know I did good.  Her only comment about the comfort of the car is that it has more wind noise than the newer ones.

BB

2/04/2019 12:05 PM  #18

im still working on it lol..does sound fun..haven't driven any of my past (or my current one)mustangs anything close to that distance

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.