FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2019 8:09 AM  #1

Intake Manifold fittings

I need to install the fittings on my intake (Edelbrock Air Gap) for the heater hose and the vacuum line for the power brake booster. 

Looking at the heater hose fittings, I came across the B302 style with the built in flow restriction. 

https://www.cjponyparts.com/heater-hose-fitting-with-water-restrictor-boss-302-silver-zinc-1969-1970/p/HHF11/?year=1970&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgNW2y4D63wIViq_ICh1TiQ4IEAQYGyABEgJjmfD_BwE

What's the purpose of restricting the flow to the heater core?  I don't plan on driving my car in the dead of winter when the roads are crappy, but I would like heat for the fall and other cooler times of year.

Should I run this fitting or a basic 90 degree hose fitting with no restriction?

Also, does anyone know off hand what size fitting I need for the vacuum line for the brake booster and what size vacuum hose I need?  I've got the smaller MS fox body booster on my car. 

Thanks!

Last edited by Chaplin (1/19/2019 8:11 AM)

1/19/2019 2:18 PM  #2

Re: Intake Manifold fittings

The restrictors for the heater hose are to keep from puking the heater core when you take it to red line between the gears.  The 5.0 is notorious for overloading the heater core.  I made restrictors for our 66 after having a 90 GT with a bad heater core and also having one crap out in the 66.   The heater still makes enough heat to run you out of the car.

Brake booster vac hose is normally 3/8" IIRC.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/19/2019 4:16 PM  #3

3/8" for the booster for sure. 

1/19/2019 4:41 PM  #4

Thank you both!

1/26/2019 11:15 AM  #5

As an alternative, you can get this in-line restrictor.  I believe it is for 3/4" heater hose, but as it is of some plastic material, can be ground down to fit 5/8" heater hose.
https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Heating-Cooling/Radiator-Heater-Hoses/Heater-Hoses-Kits/Heater-Core-Supply-Hose-Flow-Restrictor-1979-1993-5-0L-Mustang.axd

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/26/2019 2:37 PM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

The 5.0 is notorious for overloading the heater core.  I made restrictors for our 66 after having a 90 GT with a bad heater core and also having one crap out in the 66.  
BB

Is that problem only with the 5 oh's, or do early small blocks suffer from it too?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/27/2019 6:42 AM  #7

I've never heard of it on the early cars, and in truth have only heard of it recently on the 5.0s.  I'm wondering if its one of those things that people say you have to do that you really don't.  Don't get me wrong, changing the heater core on a 5.0, especially one with AC, is a royal PITA.  But, does the flow through the core really contribute to heater core failure?  Thus, does that restrictor really improve heater core longevity? 

1/27/2019 7:06 AM  #8

Well...I bought my 90 GT from my brother in 09 with 154K.  My bro told me that the AC compressor had swallowed itself a few years prior and that the last time he drove it to work...about five years prior...getting on the freeway required a little throttle and that at the top of second gear the heater core puked all over the right footwell.

So I don't know.  Would that have happened if the core weren't 14 years old?  Don't know.  Butt, the restrictors shouldn't hurt, and might save you some grief, I would think.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/27/2019 8:15 AM  #9

TKOPerformance wrote:

I've never heard of it on the early cars, and in truth have only heard of it recently on the 5.0s.  I'm wondering if its one of those things that people say you have to do that you really don't.  Don't get me wrong, changing the heater core on a 5.0, especially one with AC, is a royal PITA.  But, does the flow through the core really contribute to heater core failure?  Thus, does that restrictor really improve heater core longevity? 

I'd never heard of it early cars either.  I just went back and took another look at all of the heater hose fittings listed on CJ's website and it appears that restrictors were only used on B302s, so perhaps Ford looked at the expected rpm range as the determining factor for when to use them.

1/27/2019 11:40 AM  #10

That would make sense.  I remember Smokey Yunick talking about accessory speed at racing speeds in his book, and a picture of a small block chevy with a water pump pulley that looked positively huge.

To my knowledge though the 5.0s never used those restrictors stock, possibly the police package cars did, because I think they had a heavy duty cooling package.

Most of the 289s/302s were 5,000RPM engines, except for the HiPo 289 and the Boss 302.  But the 5.0 would turn past 6,000RPM (factory rev limiter was 6,250).  So, IDK.  I'm planning to run one on my '89 GT because I hate changing heater cores in those cars and the 331 will easily wind to 6,500RPM.  Of course, with the amount I'll actually drive it I'd probably need to live to be 500 to tell if it made a difference

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.