FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2019 11:49 AM  #1

Front Shocks Choice

Looking at Front shocks, for my 67 coupe. Putting new Moog lower control arms,Moog upper ball joints,
I have 620 1" drop springs,1' front sway bar, also putting in new Moog sway bar links. The 289 is coming
out (cast iron intake) 351w will be going in( aluminum intake). I  Noticed there are 2 different heights of
spring insulators that fit in the top of the coil spring ,with the extra weight of the 351w ,would I be better
to stay with the shorter insulator or the taller 1" insulator? Also front shocks,looking at ,Monroe, Gabriels,
Kybs (not just a gas),and Sachs. Are they about the same or are some or one better than the others?
Any help would be great, looking forward to your input.  THANKS! mustang stu

2/08/2019 1:23 PM  #2

Re: Front Shocks Choice

I bought new Monroes that had a life time warranty. They didn't last a year. I paid the difference and replaced them with KYB's a couple of years ago. They are still going.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

2/08/2019 5:04 PM  #3

I've had two sets of KYBs in my car since I've owned it (25 years).  I'm not even sure the first set was really shot, but the car sat for a long period at one point and with the other suspension mods I was doing it seemed wise to change them.  I've also used them in my '89 GT project and my '02 WRX.  The damping is good without being intrusive.  They seem to allow the springs to do their job and soak up the bumps well.  I will say though that ride and handling is a somewhat subjective thing.  Some guys prefer a stiffer suspension, others don't.  Some find a spring/shock combo rides like a covered wagon and others think its like a Cadillac.  I'll say that on durability alone the KYBs have done well by me.  They also handle great for my driving style, and I think they ride well too.  Often the next step up the ladder, especially with struts, is adjustable coilovers that are rather expensive.  I have no need for that type of suspension.  On most cars I find the factory system works well, and is best when simply improved in a few critical areas without going overboard.  Usually the handling advantage of a $5,000 suspension vs. a $1,500 suspension is lost on the guy who's going to be driving the car anyway. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (2/08/2019 7:58 PM)

2/08/2019 5:18 PM  #4

With the exception of the Moog brand I have the same setup as you on my 66 with 289, aluminum intake. I used the shorter spring rubbers and Monroe shocks. The shocks have been on the car for over ten years. No complaints.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

2/08/2019 5:26 PM  #5

Use the short insulators.  They have the stock config.  The thicker ones are used to raise the car - mainly when the springs have sagged or you lowered the car too much.  You will not notice the difference even with the added weight of the 351w.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/08/2019 6:21 PM  #6

Bilstein (not B&M) shocks from streetortrack modified to fit the early model stangs

I am saving up to upgrade

Last edited by Gaba (2/08/2019 9:27 PM)

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

2/08/2019 8:18 PM  #7

I have tried many shocks in the 27 years ai have owned my 66.  KYB gasAjust are just way too stiff for me. Monroe Matics were a joke and rode clumsily and leaked within a year.  Edelbrock shocks mounted a generic shock upside down and rubbed the mounts. Go figure on that one. KYB cheapo version was too mushy.

Bilsteins are perfect. At $100 a pop, you would expect perfection and, in my opinion, they are worh it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/08/2019 8:30 PM  #8

Bilstein.

Got them on the back of my mustang and all corners of my 4x4 pile of junk.

Opentracker Racing has a few different valving options.

2/08/2019 9:28 PM  #9

Bentworker wrote:

Bilstein.

Got them on the back of my mustang and all corners of my 4x4 pile of junk.

Opentracker Racing has a few different valving options.

I meant bilstein too! They are the best

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

2/09/2019 2:56 AM  #10

The oem spring and the lower global west  . i use konj adjustable  but the way is adjustable means desmantle everithing and have the shock adjusted on bench . they have 4 position . 
with 205/70/14  the tire is little rubbing on fender lip and sometimes hit hard when pass on  road speed bump . The front end is very firm but little rigid and squeak from spring work all the times .  I think i will add 1 more inch on upper spring isolator
bye 

2/09/2019 10:22 AM  #11

Bilsteins or Koni. You get what you pay for and they do make a huge difference! Use the thinner insulater on the spring. Get the Bilsteins from Street or Track as they have them custom calibrated.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

2/10/2019 6:42 AM  #12

Given the choice between an adjustable shock and non adjustable I'd chose non adjustable.  Why?  Well, in part what Alessandro said; they are typically a PITA to adjust.  Also, I ran a couple sets on a couple different vehicles over the years and was never able to achieve better performance than the non adjustable shocks they replaced, despite spending many hours chasing my tail adjusting them.  A shock is either valved to complement a spring, or it isn't.  If it is, further adjustment will only worsen handling.  If it isn't, often adjustments just make a bad setup easier to live with.  If the setup is bad for what I'm trying to do I'd rather fix the underlying issues than try to crutch it.  If the springs are too stiff trying to control them with shocks only helps so much, and if they're too soft trying to bolster them is the same.  The same goes for swaybars and body roll.

For any Mustang looking to improve handling the FIRST thing you should do is install a set of full length sub frame connectors.  Without them you are asking too much of the springs and shocks.

In the end, it all comes down to what the car is going to do 90% of the time.  Most street/strip cars are really street cars that might, occasionally go to the track.  In theory at the strip you want 50/50 rears and 90/10 fronts to get the weight transferred rearward on the launch for best traction.  It makes a difference and improves times, BUT the car handles like a deathtrap on the street.  So some guys put 70/30s in the front thinking they'll compromise a little for a better launch and better street handling.  Some ET lost, and only marginally safer handling.  Bottom line, its dumb to make such compromises on a car that spends most of its time on the street.  Make the car safe and fun to drive on the street.  Accept that you'll lose a few tenths off your theoretical best ET at the strip.  The same is true if you run autox or other types of events on occasion.  Overall you'll be MUCH happier with the end result. 

2/11/2019 7:04 PM  #13

I will be going with the thin insulators, also putting in new spring saddles with grease fittings. I have
17 year old kybs,gr-2s on the 67, I can make do with them, till I can go for a set of bilsteins or konis.
I hate to waste money on parts that aren't going to be up to the task.  THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP
AND INPUT!  mustang stu

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.