FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2019 9:03 PM  #126

Re: What did you do to your Mustang today?

Yes, they could look prettier, but it appears you have pretty good penetration with no burn-through.  Once you grind them smooth, they will look just like the ones Foose does.  Try it and see what I mean.  And remember, you can warp metal with a grinder as fast or faster than you can with a welder.
If you can replicate that section in the top pic marked as OK, you are on your way to success.  I have seen MUCH WORSE done by supposed professionals at a high end body shop.  Save yourself some real grief and do it yourself.
Just avoid the heavy puddling that causes the blue hue, and you will be fine.  Weld a little here, then skip to a new area, cooling with a rag as you go. No long beads.  You can do it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/15/2019 3:45 PM  #127

Ya know, there's more to life than bringing Zombie Mustangs back to life by welding them together, rebuilding powertrains, refining suspensions. What about us Great Unwashed Masses whose skills have worn away by using up our Bodily Fluids going through life & just need to do a few things to get the Pony running? Let's hear it for the Little People!

In my never-ending quest to find the trivial things to fix, I installed a battery disconnect switch. Got the same type as on the other cars & have had good luck with'em.

Finally looking closely at my Mustang, it shows attention to detail was done by the team that did the cosmetics. Nice vinyl protection next to the terminal so it doesn't come into contract w/ the body...had to extend it a tad now. Wonder why the power-train people so screwed up on the cooling.

Removed the remaining kick panel & those ghetto-blasters in the rear. Seems I don't have to replace that panel, just sand/bondo the holes the installers made. Me thinks if I try to match the paint, it'll stand out. Anything different you guys would try?

If anyone is close enough to come get them, I'd give you the 2 panels & 4 speakers for the price of a cheap lunch. I think rpm is the closest but even he is 3-4 hours away. Don't think they're worth the effort/expense to package & ship 'em.

4/15/2019 6:30 PM  #128

Got around to reading the beginning of this topic.

I feel soo Little League...no, make that Junior Minor League.

At least there's some of you I can identify with, the ones that move the cars a foot, look at it. I Like the guy who said he's moving his parts around & thinking about what to do with'em.

Hakan, your car reminds me of the Kirkham Cobras...be almost a shame to paint it. The Hot Rod is bit___, I mean, beautiful...so is your wife.

4/15/2019 8:43 PM  #129

Trying to finish the 5.0 engine rebuild.  Push rods, rocker install commences tomorrow followed by the intake. 
Made a second trip to ye old pull a part yard for ps, alt, ac comp brackets.  Going to run the two serp belt set up so, a willing 89 LTD Crown Vic donated the goods today. Prepped and painted the brackets that needed paint.  New ps pump and alt are on the purchase list now.  Should be back together by the end of the week.

Speaking of parts.  Ordered a water pump and sbf motor mounts from Rockauto.  To my surprise, the mounts are made in the usa and fit perfect.  The pump had paperwork indicating it was a NAPA brand and was made in Chiner....so, there ya go...

Last, ordered a manual steering drag link from CJ Pony.  I wasn't home when the brown truck delivered it but, it was waiting for me on the back patio. Actually, the only thing waiting was an empty box......seems the over zealous body building package throwers got a bit aggressive and the drag link did an escape from box-o-traz...(see pic).  To their credit, CJ customer service has a replacement on its way in hopefully a kevlar box...

Last edited by josh-kebob (4/15/2019 8:48 PM)

4/16/2019 3:21 PM  #130

josh-kebob wrote:

Trying to finish the 5.0 engine rebuild.  Push rods, rocker install commences tomorrow followed by the intake. 
Made a second trip to ye old pull a part yard for ps, alt, ac comp brackets.  Going to run the two serp belt set up so, a willing 89 LTD Crown Vic donated the goods today. Prepped and painted the brackets that needed paint.  New ps pump and alt are on the purchase list now.  Should be back together by the end of the week.

Speaking of parts.  Ordered a water pump and sbf motor mounts from Rockauto.  To my surprise, the mounts are made in the usa and fit perfect.  The pump had paperwork indicating it was a NAPA brand and was made in Chiner....so, there ya go...

Last, ordered a manual steering drag link from CJ Pony.  I wasn't home when the brown truck delivered it but, it was waiting for me on the back patio. Actually, the only thing waiting was an empty box......seems the over zealous body building package throwers got a bit aggressive and the drag link did an escape from box-o-traz...(see pic).  To their credit, CJ customer service has a replacement on its way in hopefully a kevlar box...

I LIKE "box-o-traz"!!!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/16/2019 4:02 PM  #131

Sal, apparently so did the drag link...

4/16/2019 5:56 PM  #132

I'm so close to getting the engine and tranny pulled I can smell it.  I took the driveshaft out today.

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

4/17/2019 12:48 PM  #133

1. Went into garage
2. Removed cover of Mustang
3. Examined interior & determined it looked like s___.
4. Covered car, back into house
5. House needed vacuuming & bathrooms cleaned.
6. Changed into French Maid outfit (on sale @ Victoria Secret)
7. Began cleaning.

4/17/2019 12:55 PM  #134

Great, thats a vision I can't unsee now.....

4/17/2019 2:36 PM  #135

Weatherman says 20% chance of rain...sky says "no way".  Dusted off the Heap, drove to Home Depot to see if they had some stuff...they gots lots of stuff there.  Found something I could use, bought it, drove out to a friends place then home.  Good day for cruisin'.  Was thinking about the cruisin' I had last week with 6Sally6.  Man, now that was fun cruisin' and we proved that even the local sheriff doesn't mind Mike runnin' "open".  What a hoot!

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/17/2019 3:30 PM  #136

josh-kebob wrote:

Great, thats a vision I can't unsee now.....

Jealous that I got it on sale? Actually, had to return it...it pinched in all the wrong places.

Bullet Bob wrote:

......snip........about the cruisin' I had last week with 6Sally6.  Man, now that was fun cruisin' and we proved that even the local sheriff doesn't mind Mike runnin' "open".  What a hoot!
BB

Pickup any chicks?
No prob over here w/ the Vette's side pipes either...in the 60's Chev listed them on the order sheet as "Off Road"...think even then, the Man gave them a pass...at least in my Van Nuys Blvd. Cruising days....that was before the Blvd. became too rough & the city clamped down on it.

4/17/2019 4:51 PM  #137

Bead blasted the accessory drive brackets, stripped the paint off the valve covers, prepped everything for paint along with the intake and gave everything a couple of coats of paint. Purchased a 89 crown vic with rebuilt trans.....harvesting that to put behind this engine and drop in the fastback. I'll pick a few more parts, sell the 5.0 to a friend and scrap the rest.  Should have the CJPony drag link (round 2) delivered tomorrow.....hopefully it behaves and stays in the box this time.....we'll see.  If so, the next purchase will be the borgeson box.  List is getting shorter and so is my time that I can spend on the car.......ah retired life...

4/17/2019 6:39 PM  #138

Started to assemble the T5 today. Quit after placing the counter gear in the box. Came home and drove the Mustang to Carrolton for an impromptu Mustang meet at the Ford house. Got there just in time to find out it was cancelled. Came home at speed slower than the odometer indicates most of the way. And I'm building a manual tranny?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/19/2019 6:12 PM  #139

Didn't do anything to the '69 but the '99 daily driver got new tahrs and springs and shocks.  And an oil change and brake fluid flush.

Volvo!

4/19/2019 8:03 PM  #140

Tuesday relatives are arriving from Michigan.  They are going to drive down to Yosemite for a few days and thence to San Fransisco.  They are taking our Pilot, so Carol gets the  '15GT and I get to drive the hot rod for 5 days.  Such luck!  Why do I need something like this to occur before I drive it for days on end?

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/20/2019 6:37 PM  #141

lowercasesteve wrote:

Tuesday relatives are arriving from Michigan.  They are going to drive down to Yosemite for a few days and thence to San Fransisco.  They are taking our Pilot, so Carol gets the  '15GT and I get to drive the hot rod for 5 days.  Such luck!  Why do I need something like this to occur before I drive it for days on end?

Tell them to be "mindful-where-they-step" while visiting the  city!
Such a beautiful city to get all sheeted-up like it is!
Sorry,
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/28/2019 2:13 PM  #142

Polished the covers I made for the fan motor and the valve cover breather. Started by sand blasting to try to give them a look like if they had been cast:

Then wet sanded them with 400 grit.

First rough polish.

Second fine polish.

The stainless screen material epoxied in place.

4/28/2019 4:40 PM  #143

Went for a drive.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/28/2019 6:33 PM  #144

sold them

4/28/2019 6:43 PM  #145

josh-kebob wrote:

sold them

WHAAAT? Seriously?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/29/2019 4:21 AM  #146

Bullet Bob wrote:

Went for a drive.

BB

Me too.

4/29/2019 4:55 PM  #147

I changed out the gas tankwith a new one.  I’m trying to get the sending unit accurate with BB’s new improved micro chip thingy ma-jig.

Last edited by Ozblitz (4/29/2019 4:56 PM)

4/29/2019 6:30 PM  #148

I centered the steering wheel. It was off since I did the EPAS conversion a while back.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/10/2019 7:13 PM  #149

As the Bash is but a month away, thought I'd align the toe in with the string method. Got each side to ~.030", or 1/16" total toe in. I also finished up adding another (BulletBob recommended) ground strap from my trunk mounted battery to the transmission.

If I was asked to stand my pics on end or invert them, I wouldn't know what steps to take. Yet...

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/11/2019 5:32 AM  #150

After straightening the steering wheel about a week ago and refitting the main sway bar mounting brackets and bushes (wrong ones supplied and horrible clunking occurred) I took it for a spin around the block. After that I washed it.
The car is in a wedding next week, so I have held off driving it for the past couple of weeks in case someone ran into me.
It felt great to drive it again!

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.