FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2019 8:37 PM  #1

65 coupe HELP stock w/289 FT springs, ride height questions

My 65 coupe (not a GT)  has 130K on the ft springs, measuring 13-1/3" from center to fender. I would like to replace the springs and achieve a firmer ride. Would the stock GT springs give me that firmness without setting any lower. My tires are very close to rubbing now. 225x60x15 on 15-7 with 3-1/2 BS. Going up a tad wouldn't hurt

Chris. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/14/2019 8:57 PM  #2

Re: 65 coupe HELP stock w/289 FT springs, ride height questions

That 3.5" backspacing is going to be problematic.  15x7 wheels THAT FIT WELL will have 4" to 4.375" backspacing.  The tires are about maxed out with 225x60.  I would recommend rolling the upper half of the fender lip.  The best springs I have found are the Progressive Motorsports progressive rate springs (hard to find) but they will probably sit too low for your liking, and will likely rub.  The replacement GT front springs as sold by Mustangs Plus are a good rate spring, but they DO SETTLE over a year's time and will be pretty low.
I am guessing you have Torque Thrust D wheels. by your quoted backspacing numbers.  Your best overall results would be achieved with a wheel having a more favorable backspacing, if you want to have the car sit low.  Or possibly a tire with less cross-sectional width.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/15/2019 6:11 PM  #3

Thanks, I did roll the lips and all is good including the ride height I just want it stiffer and figured new springs would be the ticket. I thought about stock ones but i would end up cutting and just not what I want to do. i think i will try out the GT springs unless someone else has a good recommendation. I have been looking at the ride height pics and it has helped some too.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/16/2019 3:29 PM  #4

"STIFFER"?
Why-knot go with stiffer shocks?
IF...you go with stiffer springs (that are shorter)...you could install some thicker spring isolators pads. They come in all sizes up to a couple inches I think.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/16/2019 6:11 PM  #5

Thank you I was unaware of the coil spacer. I will order the Scott Drake 1" drop springs and then if need I can cut or add. unless there is a better 1" drop spring out there

4/16/2019 9:35 PM  #6

Cab4word67 wrote:

Thank you I was unaware of the coil spacer. I will order the Scott Drake 1" drop springs and then if need I can cut or add. unless there is a better 1" drop spring out there

I THINK.......... all the stuff is made by the same  little Chinese slave labor prison.........but that's just me.

6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/17/2019 9:40 AM  #7

Eaton springs are made in Michigan. Call them if you don't find what you are looking for.  Good luck with your project.    https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/ 

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

4/17/2019 9:13 PM  #8

Thank you, thank all of you for all your input

4/20/2019 3:59 PM  #9

That’s a wide tire and lousy offset to work in a 65/66. Putting a stiffer spring is a band aid solution. Do the Arning drop on the upper arm. This will pull the tire in rather then pushing it out on compression not to mention a huge improvement in how the car drives. Set your alignment to 1/2* negative camber as well. I run a little over 1* negative camber with no noticeable wear.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

4/20/2019 9:27 PM  #10

Where do I find these upper control arms?

4/21/2019 5:13 PM  #11

While there are upper control arms that are slightly shorter such as Global West or Street or Track. Just lowering the upper control arms 1 inch will help immensely and this is a whole lot cheaper. Basically free.

4/21/2019 5:22 PM  #12

You have my attention. FREE?? please tell me more

4/21/2019 7:10 PM  #13

Well maybe the cost of a 17/32” drill bit. You’re drilling new mounting holes for the upper control arm mounting points. The new holes are 1 inch down and 1/8 inch back. This drastically changes the geometry for the better.

On a performance suspension you want the lower arms parallel to the road. The upper arms you want the ball joint to be higher then the mounting point for the upper arm. What this does, when you compress the suspension this pull the top of the tire in to bite in a turn. Much like a motorcycle or bicycle in a turn this is what the Arning drop causes the tire to to. The stock Mustang pushes the top of the tire out. Instead of the tire leaning in as a motorcycle or bicycle, it leans out making it easy to drag the tire away from the turn and loose traction.

So doing the Arning drop as the suspension compresses it’s going to pull the tire in away from the fender while stock pushes the tire out into the fender.

4/21/2019 9:19 PM  #14

Template and drill for the "drop" can be had very reasonably from Daze Cars,

https://dazecars.com/dazed/test.html

Day is a forum member here, modulator....ah no, that's moderator I think, and all around pretty smart fellow...you should see his IRS mod on his 65 HT.

Any way, that little template kit will get you in bidness  for the Arning drop.  And as stated above, it's worth doing.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/21/2019 9:30 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/28/2019 8:34 AM  #15

I bought the 620s and the mid eye rear springs. problem should be solved next week  Thanks again everyone

4/30/2019 5:41 PM  #16

Those 620's should stiffen it up quite a bit.  Report back when done to tell us how you like it.  Note: they will settle a bit over 10,000 miles of driving.  Expect to do two or three alignments until they quit settling. (Not just those springs, but every one I have ever used, and that is ALOT of them!)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/06/2019 6:12 PM  #17

To everyone.
Ok after what I went through with my ride height I listened and bought the front & rear set.of Grab-A-track springs.
I finished the install of the grab-a-Track mid eye springs and the 620s .OMG   i just got to drive my coupe yesterday in town and on the HWY. It is like a new car on steroids I have ft and rr sway-bars and its just so cool. The 225 60 TAs grab so nice. Front is siting a bit high but I know it will settle in. I may have to drop the rear with a small block but I will weight..

Thanks again for Putin up with my posts.
Chris

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.