FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2013 8:12 PM  #1

Mini Tubs

Trying to figure out how to post multiple pics on here.  Finished seam sealing, smoothing and put a coat of primer on the mini tubs. Next is to put the down bars back in, rather, make new ones. Had to cut the old ones out.

8/30/2013 7:16 AM  #2

Re: Mini Tubs

Nice progress! I'm 3/4 through the same project. I have a set of 295-50-15 tires for it. When I was measuring them up in the wheel well I found the frame tweaked by 1 inch toward the drivers side, so I'm off to the frame shop.  What size tire are you going to be running?

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

9/04/2013 6:48 AM  #3

Brents65 wrote:

Nice progress! I'm 3/4 through the same project. I have a set of 295-50-15 tires for it. When I was measuring them up in the wheel well I found the frame tweaked by 1 inch toward the drivers side, so I'm off to the frame shop.  What size tire are you going to be running?

I was lucky, the car had been wrecked, I was in it when it happend during the test drive the PO put it in a ditch.  Goes to show the value of sub frame connectors. Had it put on a laser rack and it was in spec +/- 3mm.

I am putting 28X11.5X15s on 15X10 Billet Specialities on the back, and 28X4.5s up front. The springs are the first limiting factor to these cars, following by the inner well and rear unibody frame.  Ergo moving the springs 3 inches in, notching the rails, and tubbing. I had/have a shortened 9 inch under it, on the stock springs, and had 27X9.5X15s on 15X10s, but it was really tight on the springs and wheel wells.

For street cars, you should have 1.5 inches of clearance from the tire/slick to frame or wheel arch, for track cars you can get away with 3/4, but you got to watch the turns.

9/04/2013 7:18 PM  #4

Last edited by Gydyup (9/04/2013 7:19 PM)

9/04/2013 7:20 PM  #5

Gydyup wrote:

After and before pics of the tubs.

9/04/2013 11:33 PM  #6

I am also considering a roll bar, where did you find yours and is there anything to watch out for? Seems straight forward.

9/05/2013 6:56 AM  #7

Basic kit came from Jegs, I wrote a step by step Tech Article on how to do it. Not sure if Steve objects to attaching links to those forums though.
Pretty straight forward, I dont have fancy tools. I bought seat saver bars for the first  version. The guy helping me talked me into installing them wrong, so they were not seat savers, in order to get a better reach towards the rear.

With this version I used Front Clip cage bars from jegs, they had about the right angle and required a little heat and bend, but had a nice reach that landed right on top of the frame notches I built. Also snug up nice to the roof, and clear the back light just right.

Updated, posted a link to the Tech Art in the Tips and How too, Steve game me the thumbs up. Enjoy.

Last edited by Gydyup (9/05/2013 8:21 AM)

9/05/2013 8:26 AM  #8

Brents65 wrote:

I am also considering a roll bar, where did you find yours and is there anything to watch out for? Seems straight forward.

Roll cage is awesome, amazing how much it will firm up your car.  Lots of versions depending on what you do with it. Word of caution, read rule books for any sanctioning body you may consider, drag, road course.  If you think you wont be doing that, build it to standards anyway. One its an approved safety standard, two you may change your mind and once its in, its a pain to modify or correct.

Pro street side bars are not legal on any track, but swing out bars are - little things like that.

9/12/2013 7:36 PM  #9

Finally got all the welding and grinding done, now have the trunck and roll bars painted. The first pic is the original roll bar set up when we were putting those in, gives you a good perspective of how much more wheel well I have now.

9/23/2013 5:23 PM  #10

Mocked up some old 275/60/15s on my rims, to get an idea of my room. The car swallowed them. Plenty of room for my 28/10.5s/15s or even a tad bigger.

9/24/2013 9:55 AM  #11

How did you create the flares? They look good!

9/24/2013 10:14 AM  #12

No flares, rearend is narrowed. These tires are an inch smaller than what I calculated for. Just wanted to check my measurements against a free baseline before I shucked out cash for slicks.

I did replace the wheel arches due to rust and collision damage, thats why they are primered different, also I cut and rolled the wheel arch lip the whole radius of the wheel arch.

On a 65, doing what I did, it will be a bit tighter, but you could get the 28 10.5  15s under the car.  The same project on a 65 would require you to radius your lower qtrs and rockers a bit. The 67 and 68 were wider at the wheel lips, and the wheel opening is larger.

11/22/2016 12:04 PM  #13

29X11X15s on 15X10 Billet Specialties, with 4.5"BS

Last edited by Gydyup (11/22/2016 12:07 PM)

12/07/2016 1:35 PM  #14

Looking Good!!

3/24/2017 8:04 PM  #15

great looking car. I may do mini tubs on my 65. So this is some good info and motivation.

1965 Mustang Restomod-1952 Ford F1 pickup restomod-1965 F100 restomod

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.